Rover Refuses To Move

Photo Of Rover

After spending hours figuring out how to make my rover to move, I decided to finally ask people who are not nubs like me.

The issue is the rover will NOT move, though the wheels turn and accelerate perfectly fine. I've done so much research and still have not found a fix.

Any help will be much appreciated. 

Notes:

1. Rover is modded, I have tried with stock parts and still wont work.

2. Brakes are not on.

3. There is enough electricity for the rover.

4. I am on Kerbin testing my rover.

5. Rover is manned. 

6. Using newest version of KSP.

Edited by AndromedaGalaxy

Pics, modlist, and logs would help. 

BUt my guess would be similar to LP's, Some of the wheels may be pointing in the wrong direction and trying to drive in the wrong direction.  Slap a small jet engine on it and see if it rolls.    If it does, it's either a mod issue or a design issue then. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for not responding fast enough, had work to do.

@ Turbo Dad Yes...

@RealKerbal3X I am using Malemute Rover mod and it is up to date last time I checked.

@Lego_Prodigy I'm aware of that, though literally every rover I use including ones that are not mods stick through the ground. But rovers that come with KSP work perfectly fine.

@Gargamel I'll do that right now.

I had this problem on a rover I'd driven for hours on the Mun  One day I loaded my save and the rover acted like it was stuck in the mud. Wheels turned and steered, but no motion.  I have MechJeb and KER For All installed and engaging the rover autopilot with a speed limiter broke it loose. I never could figure out what caused it.

5 hours ago, AndromedaGalaxy said:

though literally every rover I use including ones that are not mods stick through the ground. But rovers that come with KSP work perfectly fine.

The stock vessels that come pre loaded on the game are just usually just barely usable examples of how to do something.  Even the stock rover is pretty inferior to to anything you can make yourself within 10 minutes.   They are just examples of how to possibly make a vessel, and act as encouragement to make a better one. 

As for sticking in the ground, the stock rover should act no different than anything you make.  The fact that it is acting differently leads me to believe there is a design issue working at hand here.

Please post up some pics so we can possibly diagnose any issues we might see. 

It could simply be that your wheels are fitted incorrectly,  wheels are not round,  they consist of a wheel collider that only works in one position .  The image below describes it more or less ( done for another post but you get the idea) . 

A simple guide to fitting wheels , always fit in pairs from the left side , so that the left and right are placed at the same time , now scoot around the front of the craft and check the suspension ,  if you have the wheels fitted correctly they will be slightly in some cases, or  a long way in others, directly below the mount , not above it ,  not horizontal  but  always below
The red line indicates the actual point at which the wheel will drive , nowhere else in the entire remaining 359.99 degrees will it behave as squad intended .

EnYwpBK.png

On 8/6/2018 at 8:50 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

It could simply be that your wheels are fitted incorrectly,  wheels are not round,  they consist of a wheel collider that only works in one position .  The image below describes it more or less ( done for another post but you get the idea) . 

A simple guide to fitting wheels , always fit in pairs from the left side , so that the left and right are placed at the same time , now scoot around the front of the craft and check the suspension ,  if you have the wheels fitted correctly they will be slightly in some cases, or  a long way in others, directly below the mount , not above it ,  not horizontal  but  always below
The red line indicates the actual point at which the wheel will drive , nowhere else in the entire remaining 359.99 degrees will it behave as squad intended .

EnYwpBK.png

Why did they design wheels in this way? Wheels are round for a reason...

Edited by JoE Smash

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

Why did they design wheels in this way? Wheels are round for a reason...

I think this is a (well lamented) limitation of the Unity game engine?

PS: Make sure the wheels are not fitted upside-down or pointing with the bottom toward the front or back of your rover.  With stock wheels it should be fairly obvious which is the bottom, but some non-stock wheels need a good look to check.

Edited by Vexillar
PS added

11 hours ago, Vexillar said:

I think this is a (well lamented) limitation of the Unity game engine?

PS: Make sure the wheels are not fitted upside-down or pointing with the bottom toward the front or back of your rover.  With stock wheels it should be fairly obvious which is the bottom, but some non-stock wheels need a good look to check.

Well that's exactly what I was referring to. I basically had the same problem. I didn't realize wheels being round had a right side up. If you orient them any direction but correctly up and down they spin, but you don't move. It's crazy....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.