Game not rendering? (Black loading screen)

So, I feel like I should preface this post with a little bit of context.

I recently had a pretty catastrophic virus, and had to resort to wiping my internal drive, and reinstall windows. I spent the following days updating drivers, installing antivirus, and making sure that my external drive was clean.

I have all my drivers updated, and all of the hardware is installed properly and I'm back up and running. Every other game that I've played runs properly (Before I break them with mods and have to reinstall)

Now, for some reason, when I try to launch ksp, all I get when I start it up is a completely black screen with nothing but the in-game cursor. No loading bar/splash screen/witty loading text at all. I figured something happened with the install, so I deleted it, and downloaded the latest installer from the site, got the game installed, but noticed something else a little odd. The launcher seems to be missing the background image, and is just replaced with white. My blanked out launcher

I have tried updating every driver I can think of, I have tried running it as an administrator, I have tried troubleshooting compatibility, I have tried reinstalling multiple times to different locations, I have gone into the config to change the resolution settings, but for some reason, KSP is the only game that is giving me a hard time, and I can't seem to pin down the reason. 

I would provide a log, but it's not giving me one to post. I haven't changed any hardware out from before when it ran perfectly fine before the windows reinstall (Windows 10, 64bit btw)

Because of the launchers missing images, I think it's just not rendering the game for some reason, but that's just a shot in the dark from me, and I have no idea what I would do to fix that if I was right.

1) Don't use the launcher.  Launch the game directly from the KSP.exe.

2) How long are you waiting? For me, sometimes that blank screen will last 5-10 minutes before the loading splash screens catch up to where it should be.  I also have 10-20 minute load times, depending on the mood of my machine. 

And very cool logo there, btw.  I like. 

Edited by Gargamel

I typically do launch from the .exe and typically it takes maybe 30 or so seconds to load a splash screen for my machine. I started up the game and then went to go do some chores while I waited for it to load. about 20 minutes later, the screen was still blank.

Also, I was apparently mistaken on the lack of log file.

Spoiler

[LOG 01:06:46.675] ******* Log Initiated for Kerbal Space Program - 1.4.4.2215 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us *******
Kerbal Space Program - 1.4.4.2215 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8)
RAM: 24567
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (3029MB)
SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [nvldumdx.dll 24.21.13.9836])
RT Formats: ARGB32, Depth, ARGBHalf, Shadowmap, RGB565, Default, ARGB2101010, DefaultHDR, ARGB64, ARGBFloat, RGFloat, RGHalf, RFloat, RHalf, R8, RG32

Log started: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 01:06:46

[LOG 01:06:47.249] ActionCanvas MASK: 3458764513820540928
[LOG 01:06:47.249] MainCanvas MASK: 3458764513820540928
[LOG 01:06:47.286] PhysicsGlobals: Loading database
[LOG 01:06:47.296] AppCanvas MASK: 3458764513820540928
[EXC 01:06:48.056] UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program\buildID64.txt" is denied.
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path)
    System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)
    System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path)
    System.IO.File.OpenText (System.String path)
    System.IO.File.ReadAllLines (System.String path)
    KSP.Localization.Localizer.GetLanguageIdFromFile ()
    FontLoader+<LoadFonts>c__Iterator0.MoveNext ()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    FontLoader:StartLoad()
    <LoadSystems>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    LoadingScreen:Start()
[LOG 01:06:48.152] [SpaceNavigatorWindows]: No device found.
[EXC 01:06:48.156] UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program\buildID64.txt" is denied.
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
    System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path)
    System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)
    System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path)
    System.IO.File.OpenText (System.String path)
    System.IO.File.ReadAllLines (System.String path)
    KSP.Localization.Localizer.GetLanguageIdFromFile ()
    FinePrint.Utilities.StringUtilities.GetSiteGeneratorInfoFileName ()
    FinePrint.Utilities.StringUtilities.LoadSiteGenerationInfo ()
    HighLogic.Start ()

I'm seeing some "UnauthorizedAccessException" in there a couple of times, but I have no idea as to why it's coming up

That was one of the first things I tried. No dice.

*Edit: I seem to have found a rather stupid, but functional workaround. I removed the buildID64.txt from the folder, and the game loads now. Still looking for a proper fix if anyone knows how to give the game access to the file manually.

Edited by Fireheart_Industries
found workaround, still need fix

On 7/12/2018 at 11:45 PM, Mark Kerbin said:

What antivirus do you have running. Some of them reaaallllyy like going after ksp, so you may want to check on that.

Advanced Systemcare 11. And it seems that was the issue. It kept popping up that "Ksp.exe is trying to access buildID64.txt. Allow?" and because the game was constantly going fullscreen, the window with "yes" kept timing out and defaulting to "no". I have 2 monitors, so I was able to click out of the game fast enough to click into the window so I could click yes and "remember this selection".

The thing is, I had already done that, so I assumed that it wouldn't be the problem, but now I can put the buildID64.txt back into the game folder and it runs perfectly fine.

Can we possibly pin this topic? I have seen some people have the same exact issue, and none of the threads seem to have a solution of any kind. As it turns out, it really is your antivirus just being overprotective and labelling the .txt file as an "essential text file" that needs protection from programs.

I wound up getting the file protection window to pop up by moving the game install folder from the external drive, to my desktop, so maybe move it from one drive to another (flash drive might work for this), then try to run it as administrator from there. Your antivirus should pop up asking if you want to give ksp.exe access. Make sure you click the "Remember this" checkbox if one shows up, and it should work fine from then on.

What I usually do it make the entire KSP folder an "no go" zone for my antivirus. Then periodically scan it while it asks before doing anything. If you think this should be pinned, report your post and say something about that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.