Is there an alternative to Alt-F12 to activate debug menu?

The subject pretty much sums it up.

I just got new hardware (a high-end, for me anyway, gaming laptop from MSI) and I am currently unable to access any of the Alt-Fn commands in KSP.  Near as I can tell, some app in the vast array of software preinstalled by MSI is intercepting all the Alt-Fn keypresses for its own purposes and they never get to KSP.

Now, this is mostly just an annoyance because the only Alt-Fn commands I typically use are Alt-F5 (named save) and Alt-F9 (load named save)--and I can get at those commands via the Esc menu.  But sometimes I really want to get at the Alt-F12 cheat/debug menu--that's the only way I know to get detailed thermal data to display, in particular.  And IME KSP isn't completely bug-free (OMG say it isn't so!), so on occasion I may need to get at other parts of the Alt-F12 functionality (forex, my stupidly-complex mission profiles sometimes seem to confuse "Exploration" contracts which include a "...and return to Kerbin" clause and I have to force them to complete after I get back).

I don't see any way to remap those functions in KSP, and so far my queries about the MSI side of things have gone unanswered.  

So is there ANY way to get at the debug menu without using Alt-F12?  Or at bare minimum, some other way to get temperature data in part-specific right-click popups?

For using the regular function keys,     say F1 for a screenshot, do you need to press ‘fn’ or a similar key? Maybe you need to press alt-fn-12 or some such. There is usually a toggle to change that behaviour in the BIOS, since fn keys often have default mappings to wifi and media controls . That’s my best guess. Although while I need to fn-F1 to get a screenshot or hold fn-F9 for a quickload, I only press alt-F9 for a ‘choose file to load’. But YMMV

But yeah, with a brand new computer, I always get rid of all the useless bloatware that comes pre-installed. So that’s two things to check.  

Oh, I totally agree that the best answer is to clear out the useless bloatware.

But not ALL of the preinstalled stuff really qualifies as "USELESS bloatware".  Some of it is useful (I do rather want at least one app that will let me change the keyboard backlighting away from the default garish rainbow, for instance).  And I don't know what among the ocean-o-bloat are actually useful-behind-the-scenes utilities, nor which of them is/are responsible for this annoying behavior. 

I've made inquiries on MSI-specific sites, but so far to no avail.  Lots of "reads", but no "replies".

I'll try to find out (most likely via experimentation, as MSi support is nigh-nonexistent even by gamer-hardware standards) if some additional keypress is needed.  But I am not optimistic, as the regular Fn keys work as expected--it's just the Alt-Fn keypresses that don't work.  (Gotta go deal with Real Life at the moment, so it may be a while....)

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Apparently, it's NVIDIA something or other that hijacks the alt-Fn commands.   Try Ctrl-Alt-F12. 

That did it!  Ctrl-Alt-F12 just got me the Debug menu!

So I now have a workaround, PLUS a narrowed-down list of potential culprits!

Thanks ever so much!

(Now to find out if the NVIDIA app responsible is one of the useful-to-essential ones, or something pointless and stupid....)

He didn't say it worked. ;)

But yeah, it tends to be Nvidia Geforce Experience that eats the Alt-F12 hotkey, and yes, you can remap it there. So check what kind of video card you have in the thing.

5 hours ago, bewing said:

Huh. The first time I loaded this thread, it didn't show that part.

I actually posted 2 separate messages.  While I was composing the first (which ended at the bit about "Real Life", Gargamel wrote and posted his suggestion.  When I was done with mine, I was able to see his suggestion; I still had a couple minutes before I really HAD to go offline, so I gave it a quick test, it worked, and I came back to write a SEPARATE REPLY to that effect.  But either I did something odd and inadvertently appended it to my previous reply, or the forum software decided that two consecutive replies from the same person really should be concatenated into a single entry.

At any rate, there really was a short period in which that last part didn't exist.

Cool I'll try the Ctrl-Alt-F12 key bind too.

I've noticed that when you hit ESC, if you click on the version info in the lower right corner of the box it'll take you to a menu where you can choose a bunch of debug-style options.  I haven't been able to access the debug menu in quite sometime because of the OP's issue so I can't say if everything from debug is there, but it seems like most of the options are available.

2 hours ago, XtraChrisP said:

I've noticed that when you are in the Pause menu, if you click on the version info in the lower right corner of the box it'll take you to the Debug Menu

Gold star for being observant. :D

On 7/12/2018 at 1:48 PM, XtraChrisP said:

Cool I'll try the Ctrl-Alt-F12 key bind too.

I've noticed that when you hit ESC, if you click on the version info in the lower right corner of the box it'll take you to a menu where you can choose a bunch of debug-style options.  I haven't been able to access the debug menu in quite sometime because of the OP's issue so I can't say if everything from debug is there, but it seems like most of the options are available.

I cannot get this to work in 1.3.1

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

I cannot get this to work in 1.3.1

It's a new feature in 1.4.4, to allow us to track versioning of any DLCs along with the main code. In the Pause menu it now says "Click for Version Info".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.