Duna Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge

Let's say I've launched some Kerbin SOI-based infrastructure using the SLV, for instance an LKO station and a Minmus refueling base. Do I need to worry about over-stressed penalties for Kerbals on those facilities, or does that only apply to the ones going to Duna?

2 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Let's say I've launched some Kerbin SOI-based infrastructure using the SLV, for instance an LKO station and a Minmus refueling base. Do I need to worry about over-stressed penalties for Kerbals on those facilities, or does that only apply to the ones going to Duna?

Five star sandbox engineers want to know... ;-)

Not sure that you can go to Minmus, mine, and come back in LKO (with Mun assist to save as much fuel as possible) in less than 10 days.

I may suggest that you dock a little space habitat on your ISRU, which you can use for some other purposes once you've finished mining.

8 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

5 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

Five star sandbox engineers want to know... ;-)

The Crew Habitation rule (two seats per Kerbal on mission > 10 days) applies to all missions off Kerbin.

It took longer than expected but I think I've finalised my 150t capacity re-usable launcher!

I went for a rocket with core stage + 4 boosters (onion style fuel flow), everything splashes down or lands intact so that it can be recovered for reuse.

y6KY8Yq.png

https://kerbalx.com/blasty_mcblastblast/Duna-Outpost-CYS-launcher

Spoiler below contains a test flight with an over-large dummy mass of 180t to 100km orbit.

Spoiler

A single engine type (vector) and tank size (5m) were chosen to simplify manufacturing, making Elon Kerman's life a little easier we hope! 

V6D0NXx.png

Lift off of the "CYS - test flight" (Check Yo Stagin')

CejpUZu.png

Booster separation...

uGnMTiV.png

The poor aerodynamics of the exposed tank ends provide additional stability to the entire rocket at launch, and additional aerobraking during recovery.  

k2JeknN.png

Core stage powering onward to orbit.

K6xWeJu.png

The 180t dummy mass is deployed into a stable orbit.

pIdggjd.png

Concealed by the fairing during launch, the custom aerobrakes are now revealed! These guys are critical to correctly orientating and slowing the empty, yet still massively heavy, core stage.

OhCXIBl.png

Toasty reentry is alleviated by a 3.75m heatshield mounted between the engines, chutes take over at lower speeds, and high-impact reinforced custom landing legs ensure a safe touchdown.

Almost ready to fly.... Almost....

cJvZ6L6.jpg

Everything neccessary should arrive to Duna in transfer window 3, except for a bit of LS supplies every now and then. So, plenty of time to correct any screw-ups on my part.... :)

Michal.don

Lol I know what you mean about the spare time. I'm juggling a job, a long commute, family, and KSP, with the occasional round of Factorio. Who needs sleep anyway?

I haven't started planning my Duna mission yet. I'm currently working on a ridiculous super jumbo jet for that airliner challenge. I might try to do an electric prop plane for Duna, if I can figure out how to stow and unpack it.

1 hour ago, michal.don said:

"Kronal Vessel Viewer" mod for the payload screenshots, and AutoCAD and a lot of spare time for the rest :)

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

Lol I know what you mean about the spare time. I'm juggling a job, a long commute, family, and KSP, with the occasional round of Factorio. Who needs sleep anyway?

I haven't started planning my Duna mission yet. I'm currently working on a ridiculous super jumbo jet for that airliner challenge. I might try to do an electric prop plane for Duna, if I can figure out how to stow and unpack it.

I know the feeling, currently have 1 weekend day every other week and my other spare time during the week when the girlfriend is out to work and that's not going to change anytime soon...

So today I've been working on designing my first tranfser, 2 launches, 36.5t each maximum, which I'm currently not meeting unfortunately... should be taking smaller tanks, but those would present another problem: DV... I'm already using the lightest possible parts, so I'll have to do some serious design considerations.

Here's some shots (mixture of KVV and Photoshop):

My first transfer stage in its full glory:

Spoiler

Px6Q01v.jpg

My space bus/base:

Spoiler

FJciRZF.jpg

My mobile base: (urrently missing an ascent stage I'm now realizing...(more DV/mass trouble))

Spoiler

99dfF13.jpg

And my mining rig attached to some of the tanks, orbital assembly galore! (missing some control thrusters)

Spoiler

VyfBo51.jpg

And I'll be using a magnificent load of mods:

Spoiler

wP4ZrMY.jpg

Edited by hoioh

23 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

[...]

Cheers @Mad Rocket Scientist! I've stuck to just 'Mad Scientist'.. you know, to keep my options open.  :lol:

Wet mass. 

Making History accepted. Don't see anything wrong with the other ones, either. That said, I don't use any of those mods. Any input would be appreciated.

[...]

OK, thanks.

Still very time limited but I thought I would check in, as I have made some (if limited) progress.  Most people that know me on these forums will understand that I design to death and love making things as neat and aesthetically pleasing as possible, as well as functional. 

I've upgraded my NPM to 45t which means I can launch less often, but there's a bit of a sweet spot to be had around here with some transfers occurring after the window, but without incurring too higher energy so won't be too highly penalised for launching extra packages slightly late.

The Duna Navigator that will complete the Elcano is now packaged up and ready to fly.  The package itself is highly controllable, with a fully fitted out entry, descent and landing module which will be common across almost all modules:

mvZ79Jj.png

The Habitation package features two modules, each made for a crew of 4.  Bolted to the common EDL package, it is capable of performing multiple deep space maneuvers, as well as a whole EDL sequence.  This means the IPT's can boost the modules on escape from Kerbin, and return if required to boost the next module away.  The EDL system is so accurate that both modules will land safely within a few hundred meters of each other on the surface of Duna (I hope) and use the small retractable wheels to join together and negotiate a short path to flat land.  Movement is certainly limited, so landing site selection is critical for the success of the missions.  On the front of each habitation package are two deep space relays which will provide considerable communication and automated control capability from Kerbin to Duna orbit.

K2hjZJC.png

tysjadR.png

Here it is all packaged up with the Common EDL module and ready for shipping:

HCCq2EN.png

These are actually modules designed for later shipping to Duna around the second transfer window.  The first window allows for two launches on my schedule, so economics of weight dictate that I launch Hole Shot Missions (HSM's) where the SLV will boost lighter weight packages with enough propellant to make the trip to Duna without the need for an IPT.  A smaller initial base module, a DAV, and a couple of other things are in store for designing over the weekend.

Lastly, and just for fun, and because I quite like it - Here's a packaged up module heading off for final checks before being put into launch ready storage:

d2RA2EI.png

SM

Edited by Speeding Mullet

10 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

I have an uneasy feeling that my SLV prototype passed right by "That's so Kerbal!" and headed straight to "What the heck were you thinking?!?" Back to the VAB... :)

Is that your SLV? Looks terifically normal compared to what I tried to design.

I really should keep working on things... but..... other things to do!

47 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Is that your SLV? Looks terifically normal compared to what I tried to design.

I really should keep working on things... but..... other things to do!

I'll just note the fairing is 14 meters wide. Clearly my packaging can be improved.

5 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

I'll just note the fairing is 14 meters wide. Clearly my packaging can be improved.

Ohhhh....... Generally most designs are long and skinny. I'm curious as to why it has to go outwards so much.

25 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Ohhhh....... Generally most designs are long and skinny. I'm curious as to why it has to go outwards so much.

The launch configurations have multiple columns of payloads beneath the fairing. I think I can tweak it so there are 2x 3.75m columns, and 2x 2.5m columns. Accounting for bits and bobs that make each stack wider, I think I should be able to get the fairing down to 10 meters or less.

7 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Anyone doing a spaceplane SLV? I have a cargo SSTO plane I was already working on before this, but with a Mk3 cargo bay the payload width is limited.

I'm using a rocket, but Mk IV Spaceplane Parts and OPT have some bigger cargo bays.

38 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Anyone doing a spaceplane SLV? I have a cargo SSTO plane I was already working on before this, but with a Mk3 cargo bay the payload width is limited.

My solution was a rocket that dragged a 3.75m fairing behind it into orbit and could theoretically land back in the runway. Might be easier. Also I think @Alchemist is also using a spaceplane, strapping stuff on top of the rocket plane. No limitations of cargo bays in either case. 

13 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

"That's so Kerbal!"

I don't see anything amiss.  :P

My Duna Science Rover...

PRrJl3nl.png

8 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

design to death

... yes? Oh wait...  ;)

8 hours ago, Speeding Mullet said:

The Habitation package features two modules, each made for a crew of 4.

Oh wow are you planning on landing 8 crew on the first window??

This is 302t at launch. A 39.8t payload on a liquid first stage and two SRB's followed by a non-recovered liquid stage.

yd5gDMrm.png

"Recovered launch stages must have comprised of at least 50% of the vehicles original lift-off mass (including payload)."

The recovered SRB's and the first liquid stage at launch are 187t (50% lift off mass is 151t). 

Edited by Death Engineering

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.