Duna Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge

On 7/9/2018 at 12:24 PM, Death Engineering said:

Return surface samples from at least five of Duna's biomes. (+3) *This can be done all at once or separate. If scored, "Early Mission Prestige" sample does not counts toward the five.

This requirement does not mandate the use of a specific craft.  I therefore assume that I can use my DAV (Duna Space Bus) as a "science hopper", with a scientist to collect the 5 samples, and deliver the samples to the labs. OK?

@Death Engineering OK, new question, are we able to replace pieces of our NPM that broke during Kerbin ascent?

I could've sworn I put my medium thermal control systems under a fairing, but apparently the monkeys with the wrenches didn't get the memo and that revision never went live. It's actually not mission-critical hardware as my radiator panels and small thermal systems survived, but it's a nuisance to be flying around with broken panels.

And at this point I've spent three hours performing the encounter between SLV-1 and SLV-2 and getting them docked, I'm not reverting the flight regardless even if they have to cool the main reactor by dumping used beer on it xD 

Edit: Also, is there any reason for me to keep the Duna Space Station manned on a continuous basis? Is that part of an achievement of any sort? Am planning to use it as an unmanned Duna Recon Orbiter by sending it in advance of my fleet, and I don't think it has enough life support to keep two kerbals happy for six or eight months.

Edited by dire

7 hours ago, dire said:

are we able to replace pieces of our NPM that broke during Kerbin ascent?

Is that something that an engineer can repair? Or, if you have to add a new part to replace the broken part that would have to come up on a separate launch and be counted in that launch's payload. Alternately, provided no resources or parts were transferred from the afflicted ship and it wasn't used to boost any payload out of LKO, I guess you could skuttle the vessel and re-launch it. 

TBH, I did something like that with my DST when I got it into orbit on SLV 4 before realizing it had almost no batteries. IOW, the challenge does not ban save/revert. 

8 hours ago, dire said:

is there any reason for me to keep the Duna Space Station manned on a continuous basis? Is that part of an achievement of any sort?

The DSS is very loosely defined, not intentionally mind you, I just neglected to add any real detail to its requirements. Crew does not ever need to occupy the DSS.

23 minutes ago, jinnantonix said:

All interplanetary transits require a minimum of 2 Kerbals aboard?

That is from the Crew safety (add all that apply) achievement and meant to apply only to crewed flights. Follows the same requirement as having the outpost crewed with two or more.

I have not been, but if others have been playing with the requirement that every flight from Kerbin has to have two crew, please LMK. I've been playing with having uncrewed tugs going back to Kerbin for cargo and an uncrewed space taxi returning to Kerbin from Duna to get more crew.

So again, if others are playing with the notion that Crew safety means no robotic probes, LMK and I'll adjust the wording in the challenge accordingly.

Otherwise, Crew safety is updated as:

• Interplanetary expertise: All crewed interplanetary missions have at least two crew on board. (+1)

8 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

That is from the Crew safety (add all that apply) achievement and meant to apply only to crewed flights. Follows the same requirement as having the outpost crewed with two or more.

I have not been, but if others have been playing with the requirement that every flight from Kerbin has to have two crew, please LMK. I've been playing with having uncrewed tugs going back to Kerbin for cargo and an uncrewed space taxi returning to Kerbin from Duna to get more crew.

So again, if others are playing with the notion that Crew safety means no robotic probes, LMK and I'll adjust the wording in the challenge accordingly.

Otherwise, Crew safety is updated as:

• Interplanetary expertise: All crewed interplanetary missions have at least two crew on board. (+1)

I have unmanned probes but since the comm network comes out of my NPM its coverage is a bit...spotty at the moment. I pretty much plan to crew anything I can't afford to lose.

OK, I knew it when I was designing the mission, but maneuvering 62 tons of craft to Duna on a single NERVA is painfully slow.  Refuelling on Ike is a real challenge, the engine barely has enough thrust to land,.  Lucky the plan is to upgrade the tug to 3 engines later in the mission.  On the plus side, I am really enjoying the Spectra cinematic effects.

FYDrmaA.png

Edited by jinnantonix

So far I'm like 3 minutes into my save. I've gone through around 3 or 4 designs for a 30T reusable lifter, but I've found one. My issue with my previous ones was simple- stability.

I have around 3 things ready-ish. My first 2 launches  are gonna be a pretty simple nuke tug, which has an RCS probe that can switch its docking port between normal and large, as well as a somewhat primitive lander that carries 3 kerbals as well as 4 satellites for the Positive Uplink points. I might make a reports thread for this. My final thing is a mobile Duna base that is DEFINITELY not inspired by @michal.don's base design.

Edited by somepersondunno
Forgot final craft details.

12 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

Good video and creative solutions. Question..that was a lot of kerbals on Duna. Is there enough habitation space for them?

Yes, the standard habitation ring (on the DOMA 2 craft, 2nd launch) has 25 seats, 12 x  Mk1 crew cabins  plus a lander can which is used as an airlock and command/control for the descent from orbit.  The design allows for 2 seats per Kerbal, so room for 12 Kerbals long term.  

L7lkXa0.png

dJWI6zz.png

Edited by jinnantonix

On 12/11/2018 at 12:30 PM, Death Engineering said:

Definitely.

@Death Engineering Am I allowed to bring a screwdriver into orbit on a crew transfer vehicle, as long as it never leaves LKO?

Will need to launch a plentiful supply of screwdrivers, gadgets and miscellaneous parts on my next NPM anyhow, so this won't affect the timing or mass of my launches, it will just let me complete a near-Kerbin rescue of someone stuck in keosynchronous orbit with my prospector, which as it turns out (as it always turns out) doesn't have enough delta-V on board, so I need to strap on more tankage before its next mining run. The tankage is already in LKO and was part of that same launch -- I'm going to strap a pair of lifeboats to the sides, which will let me store both more food and more fuel per run.

Edited by dire

Mission 2 is proceeding well.  Completed launch 7 (year 3 day 304), assembled the Transit Vehicle 2, fueled it up (took a few trips of the tug with fuel tanks to Minmus and back to Kerbin), boarded 16 Kerbals, and now burning for Minmus for more refueling before transfer to Duna on the next transfer window. (year 3 day 314).

HT0yVoG.png

Edited by jinnantonix

Well, It's been quite a while, but here is the third part of my entry. Launches 3 and 4 + a huge pile of routine to get everything ready for departure

A bit too much routine, both to execute the mission and to compile a report of it... Well, it should get more interesting once these ships arrive to Duna

The main rover section is more or less tested. It, by itself, can handle 3 kerbals for around 2 to 3 years, but I'm planning on adding a TAC storage cylinder from stockalike station parts to extend the supply. The towed section will carry extra supplies as well as a greenhouse and lab.

I did some testing trials in the deserts of Kerbin and it handles reasonably well, even with the trailer attached.

Edited by somepersondunno
Forgot the last section.

3 hours ago, somepersondunno said:

The main rover section[...]

Welcome to the challenge and to the forum BTW.  :)

If you can, try to post some pics of your work so far.. it's always cool to have a look at where others are taking the challenge. :cool:

Other than TAC, what other mods are you thinking of running?  I see that most of the top kolonization type mods are already on 1.5.x and I'm still using 1.4.2 on my DOMA attempt.  :\ 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.