Death Engineering

Duna Outpost Mission Architecture Challenge

This challenge seems ridiculously over-complicated with excessively detailed objectives and would require way too much planning and time in real life to complete. I can't wait to do it! :lol:

I'm going to have to break out Excel and make some charts... maybe even design some custom logos and advertisements for my mission. WOOT!

• Like 2

@Death Engineering I think its pretty clear that all hardware, and any resource which eventually becomes hardware (such as MaterialKits or Equipment to expand inflatable habitats) needs to come from Kerbin as part of the NPM.  A question on life support - if one were to use USI-LS, would we be allowed to mine ore or gypsum to convert it into fertilizer to supply greenhouses to create new supplies? Doing so would allow a base on Duna to become self-sufficient in the LS department, at least up to whatever the capacity is of the greenhouses and recyclers that have been shipped from Kerbin and successfully landed on Duna.

Is the Duna Space Bus the same ship as Duna Ascent Module ?

We'd need 2 differents ships + Emergency Vehicle ?

I may put too much thought into this challenge :confused:

1 hour ago, Kerbolitto said:

I may put too much thought into this challenge :confused:

Truer words have rarely been spoken. :wink:

And just like planning a long vacation trip, the thinking and planning are half the fun.

Just now, Norcalplanner said:

And just like planning a long vacation trip, the thinking and planning are half the fun.

Haha so right :D !

Fun part is, I took many hours (like 15/20h easily) to design a rolling outpost with docks around, then various ships to fullfill achievements, and now that my outpost is JUST landed I'm redesigning everything else to max out the mission :confused:.

In my mind, docks are truly the best parts of this game ! :D

I'm definitely going to be in on this one! Don't know where to find the time though...

It may take an awful long time for me to complete this with my current 6 day work schedule, but I'm thinking about doing a weekly episode or some such where I would write a piece similar to the reviews I'm doing for the KEA challenge each week along some images and videos. I might even tie the two timelines together while I'm at it to create my own continuity or something. Lots of building, lots of flying and lots of planning on top of lots of writing, this should be good!

• Like 2

I figured out my launch schedule and will be launching with an NPM of 36.5t so I can have 2 launches prior to my first transfer window.

I'll be using a 2100DV window that takes a mere 184 days to transit.

There will be some orbital assembly, a lot of mining and this will be my first experience doing a TAC-LS mission, which should be exciting!

My first launch will comprise at minimum:

• The first part of my base with however many kerbals I can squeeze out of my launch parameters including indefinite life support
  • An orbital LOP-G base for incoming and outgoing traffic to dock to prior to descent
  • An ascent launcher that can fly to Ike if required with a stopover at the base to collect all of my kerbals and escape
  • A mining vehicle suitable for Minmus and Ike ISRU mining
  • 4 comm relay sattelites
  • An interplanetary space bus for ferrying my kerbals around during every transfer window if applicable which also contains the required life support for the journey there and back again

Let the designing commence!

• Like 1

You're going down to Eve ? I see that the cheapest injection right after year 2 is almost 3k dV with a little more than 1 year of flight :o

9 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

A question on life support

USI-LS is a balanced LS mod and there's no reason to disallow a function of an acceptable mod, so yes.

7 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

Is the Duna Space Bus the same ship as Duna Ascent Module ?

We'd need 2 differents ships + Emergency Vehicle ?

Crew will need a way to orbit somehow, which is the Duna ascent module. The Duna Space Bus is a Duna ascent module with specific requirements. "Backup plan" can be an ascent module of any specification, but would be a second vehicle.

• Like 2

The only thing I've done so far for this challenge is to think, write, and visualize.  Haven't even fired up a spreadsheet or KSP for this yet, and I'm already having a blast.  :D

That said, my current mission report (link in sig) is taking up most of my KSP time right now, so this may continue to be coffee break and commute time musings until after 1.4.5 drops.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

You're going down to Eve ? I see that the cheapest injection right after year 2 is almost 3k dV with a little more than 1 year of flight :o

Who's going down to eve?

I checked with some tools for a good window around eve, but as you said: 3k dv minimum. I might be able to afford that for an escape vehicle though, thoughts....

14 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

You're going down to Eve ?

4 hours ago, hoioh said:

Who's going down to eve?

Not sure about getting help using Eve to get to Duna but coming back to Kerbin sure. Got nukes and some extra time? Use Eve to lower your Ap and save some fuel for the Kerbin insertion burn.

Like this: (original)

fwUURKcl.png

Edit: Using Ike to Duna capture: (original)

ziDJuwwl.png

Edited by Death Engineering
pics
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

Use Eve to lower your Ap and save some fuel for the Kerbin insertion burn.

How much DV is that burn? Looks like I need to do some additional research...

I was thinking about large burns using Eve to lower transit duration, this might be doable with heat protection :D

15 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

The only thing I've done so far for this challenge is to think, write, and visualize.  Haven't even fired up a spreadsheet or KSP for this yet, and I'm already having a blast.

Same here.

By now I'm pretty sure that I won't fly the mission as prescribed. Maybe I'll try gate-crashing. In any event, this challenge has kept me looking, trying and tinkering since it's been posted.

Edited by Laie
  • Like 1

@Death Engineering One more question came up. Does the Duna - Ike space bus have to be a single vehicle? Or could it consist of an atmospheric craft to go from the surface of Duna to the Duna space station, then a vacuum optimized craft to go from the station back and forth to Ike? Happy to do it either way, just want to know how to plan.