Water launching area

Since there are so many seaplanes, hydrofoils and submarines being built, it would be really nice to have a water launch option to save us from having to put wheels on our ships or relying on cheats or mission builders to get them launched.

A pier on the shore of the main launch area, of course, and perhaps also an alternate site, perhaps at the mouth of one of the big rivers around Kerban.

4 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Since there are so many seaplanes, hydrofoils and submarines being built, it would be really nice to have a water launch option to save us from having to put wheels on our ships or relying on cheats or mission builders to get them launched.

A pier on the shore of the main launch area, of course, and perhaps also an alternate site, perhaps at the mouth of one of the big rivers around Kerban.

Maybe a dedicated 'harbor'?

Would be interesting to have a water-based launching point in the middle of the sea. Since alternate launch sites is basically placing a loaded vessel on a different spawn point, why not moving that speak point in the middle of the ocean?

Edited by ARS

40 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

I want to upvote this more than once...

Such thing would be useless for me since I've never built a boat or anything sea related.

However, more launch sites is always better. A mobile water-based launch site for rockets and planes would be great.

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So this might be up your guys/gals alley :wink:

The idea is to have a set-up for watercraft that does not involve mods, especially if you are sharing on sites like KerbalX.  I can already do this with Mission Builder, but it would be nice not to have to.

Are there dedicated water-parts in stock? If not, I see no reason why KSC needs a harbor.

Watercraft in a spaceflight simulation game are extras by the community that, while fun to see and share, are not actually part of the game. That would be like if the Gundam phase hadn't died out a couple years back and someone suggests that there needs to be a Gundam launching pad.

It's cool...but it's also not an actual part of the game.

Now if Squad adds actual support for watercraft, then and only then do they also need to add an avenue from which to pursue that kind of gameplay. But until that day? Nah.

Yes, there should be a stock harbor and dock area for loading unloading. 

...and I believe waterplane takeoff/landing was a real game feature, possibly introduced as far back as v1.0.5 ???

I also like making watercraft recovery vessels and it would be nice to have a dock for 100% craft recovery at the end of a mission without having to resort to using mods.  But then again, I also use the KAS winch for duty like that, which is a part mod, so I guess I contradict myself a bit. 

My vote would be a harbor at the KSC, with another at the Island Base.  Also I would want zero dock to start with, and then have a cost associated with one or two upgrades to add nicer, larger docking unloading areas for ships.  While we're on the topic, would be nice to have upgrade options (perhaps at ridiculous level prices?) to renovate/upgrade the Island Base. 

Edited by XLjedi

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, Greenfire32 said:

Now if Squad adds actual support for watercraft, then and only then do they also need to add an avenue from which to pursue that kind of gameplay. But until that day? Nah.

IIRC, squad did deliberately do some work on the water mechanics in one of the patches. I can't think why they'd bother if it weren't to deliberately support boats and sea planes, as it did have that effect. Am I remembering wrong?

Priority is a fair question, but I wouldn't agree that it's fair to say that watercraft are not a part of this game yet.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:25 AM, Greenfire32 said:

Are there dedicated water-parts in stock? If not, I see no reason why KSC needs a harbor.

Watercraft in a spaceflight simulation game are extras by the community that, while fun to see and share, are not actually part of the game. That would be like if the Gundam phase hadn't died out a couple years back and someone suggests that there needs to be a Gundam launching pad.

It's cool...but it's also not an actual part of the game.

But they do in Mission Builder. You can put a craft on the surface of the water or the bottom of the sea.So if they support it there, why not in the regular game? As far as I am concerned, there is water, there is the ability to land on it, there is the ability to go underwater. How is that not part of the game?  How is testing a submersible before sending it all the way to Laythe not part of the game?   It does not even need to be a harbour. Something as simple as a extra in the dropdown menu from the SPH that offers, in addition to the KSC, Island and Desert Airfields, the ability to launch from the water just offshore of the KSC.

Space programs are about exploration. Flying in space is a means to an end.  And I think KSP is as much about creating missions with science and exploration as it is about the actual flight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.