What's your dream planet?

The Minmus Derp

Poll time!  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a dream planet?

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

First of all, we would speak about a dream size.
Almost nobody really needs physically huge planets. They are just useless, unless they pay you for miles.

Humans operate with muh smaller locations. Up to 20-30 km or so.

[snip]

Could you politely put that in a spoiler plz?

44 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

If you stood inside the „donut hole“ of a ringed planet, where would you go? Like would you „fall off“

Its an unstable L point like 1,2 or 3 for earth - moon.
You could bounce up an down as potential is less in center. 

My dream planet would not really be an planet but an smoke ring as in the Larry Niven story. 
https://steemit.com/space/@busser/the-smoke-ring-habitable-world-without-hard-surface
As an donut planet its theoretical possible but so unlikely that you probably assume it was an alien megastructure. 
You need to put an super Venus in very low orbit around an pretty inactive neutron star, the gas from the planet get pulled off because tidal forces but is still bound by the very steep gravity well of the neutron star. Add another star for light, add life with photosynthesis. 
You now have an huge volume with breathable air and 0g, you however has strong tides because of the gravity gradient. 

It's not a planet, so it's off-topic.  But this thread made me remember an episode from The Twilight Zone, "The Star", where a Star that had gone supernova is being studied by scientist that discover a vault with the knowledge of a ancient civilization that could not prevent their doom, but could preserve what made them a civilization. The relation with an Earth event was a added tragic detail.

Such a system would be wonderful for exploration and tech hunting - but, again, it's not exactly on-topic.

But I'm happy by the remembrance - I loved Twilight Zone when kid (all of them, the old B&W and the then "modern" coloured new seasons), and this episode is probably the one that touched deeper in my heart .

Mine would be a Super Earth with a very thick xenon atmosphere, it would have volcanoes that eject rocks into the upper atmosphere where they would pick up lighter gases before they cooled and settled in the lower atmosphere, where they float in the air, coalesce due to atmospheric currents, and merge to form floating islands.

On 9 July 2018 at 2:51 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

Describe your dream plernert here!

with stuff like diameter, mass, etc.

I'm going to assume that anything physically possible is allowed. So, without further ado or much thinking involved:

Diameter: A bit larger than Earth

Surface Gravity: A bit less than Earth's

Terrain: Very similar to Earth's but with more land and less tiny islands (non-tiny ones are just bigger instead), also lots of massive underground cave systems

Temperature: Averaging 10-20 degrees in all but the hottest/coldest places

Inhabitants: Dinosaurs, Dragons, Titans, Kaiju... stuff like that.

Moons: A couple really dense (20g/cm^3 or a bit more) Minmus-sized moons orbiting just above the Roche limit, asteroid moons in geostationary orbit, small semi-habitable moon further out

On 9 July 2018 at 2:51 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

Describe your dream plernert here!

with stuff like diameter, mass, etc.

I'm going to assume that anything physically possible is allowed. So, without further ado or much thinking involved:

Diameter: A bit larger than Earth

Surface Gravity: A bit less than Earth's

Terrain: Very similar to Earth's but with more land and less tiny islands (non-tiny ones are just bigger instead), also lots of massive underground cave systems

Temperature: Averaging 10-20 degrees in all but the hottest/coldest places

Inhabitants: Dinosaurs, Dragons, Titans, Kaiju... stuff like that.

Moons: A couple really dense (20g/cm^3 or a bit more) Minmus-sized moons orbiting just above the Roche limit, asteroid moons in geostationary orbit, small semi-habitable moon further out

35 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

People need to know what you're talking about in order to discuss the matter, right? Please don't change it back. 

Or it could be the "Pla-nerd" thread.

My dream planet is one with an awesome looking scaled view so it looks absolutely stunning from far away.

But once you get close enough to see the actual terrain it's just that featureless Jool template planet @Gameslinx mentioned earlier.

In addition, a HazardousOcean curve would be set up so that your ship would heat up and explode at the exact distance you can see the actual terrain.

Oh, and there is only one biome with 0.1 science multiplier.

1 minute ago, TheProtagonists said:

My dream planet is one with an awesome looking scaled view so it looks absolutely stunning from far away.

But once you get close enough to see the actual terrain it's just that featureless Jool template planet @Gameslinx mentioned earlier.

In addition, a HazardousOcean curve would be set up so that your ship would heat up and explode at the exact distance you can see the actual terrain.

Oh, and there is only one biome with 0.1 science multiplier.

Cool, but in real life, like you can actually stand on it, while not in KSP.

My dream planet is a habitable moon whose rings has the same colors as the planet, which is orbiting a red gas giant with red rings with a outer radius of around 2,000,000 km (around the size of Fomalhaut b's rings).

BUT the star the gas giant is orbiting has a massive ring by itself, , stretching 200,000,000 kilometers. Its color is white with massive gaps.

BUT the Star is very close to a black hole, whose accretion disk looks like Ou'ulm back in 2017 - a giant purple accretion disk.

An artificial planet, an astroengineering megastructure, which is like a micro dyson sphere. On the outside, it's a barren world, a frozen planet, covered in miles thick ice blanketed in perpetual snowstorm. But, if you know where's the secret entrance on the ravine network, you can access the inner world. The inside of the planet is hollow, and this inner world is covered with lush tropical rainforest, a barren desert, a wide ocean, a variety of ecosystems warmed by the light of artificial fusion star in the center of this megastructure shell. A last place where life could exist, where the universe has gone dark a long time ago...

Edited by ARS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.