TKS/FGB and Almaz's engine number

During my craft creation, I was looking up on the design, and while there are no way they will be one-to-one replica(don't want to kill people off with a 1000+ part count craft), I realized I forgot one aspect: the number of engines (as in, in terms of KSP, so excluding what we will mimic with RCS)

So according to NASA's article, as well as some pictures

• The TKS have 2 engines, 1 at the "top" and the other at "bottom", based on pictures and description of NASA
  • The Almaz have 2 engines, on diagonal

However, according to FalseSteps, the TKS have 4 engines.

So which is correct?

Edited by Jestersage

Almaz and TKS are different vehicles. Almaz was based on the DOS design (Salyut, Almaz, Mir core, ISS Zvezda...). TKS became the FGB modules (All the other Mir modules, ISS Zarya, etc...).

TKS had two main engines, they are the small blocks above and below the VA capsule, noted 3 in the diagram below. In orbit, the TKS flies "backwards": the "front" is where the docking apparatus is located.

TKS5.jpg

Later FGB modules had a different arrangement. The engines were placed on the main docking end:

1024px-Priroda_-_Mir_module.png

zarya-grafik1.jpg

Edited by Nibb31

Almz anad TKS are different vehicles. Almaz was based on the DOS design (Salyut, Almaz, Mir core, ISS Zvezda...). TKS became the FGB modules (All the other Mir modules, ISS Zarya, etc...).

Yes, I am aware they are different. In terms of the stat that I need to replicate them, I may as well ask them in one thread

TKS had two main engines, they are the small blocks above and below the VA capsule, noted 3 in the diagram below.

I wanted to double check because with a cut away, those on the side (should they exist) would also be not shown, but seems like (according to many other pictures, plus what NASA stated) there would be only 2 engines. Not surwe why FalseSteps say there are 4.

In orbit, the TKS flies "backwards": the "front" is where the docking apparatus is located.

Thank you. Asked it before 3 months ago. That much I was aware.

Maybe you would have a look at my replies there:

Several remarks.

3 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

Almaz and TKS are different vehicles. Almaz was based on the DOS design (Salyut, Almaz, Mir core, ISS Zvezda...). TKS became the FGB modules (All the other Mir modules, ISS Zarya, etc...).

Almaz is a common name of OPS (orbital piloted station) + TKS (transport supply ship) + UR-500K Proton (another project, but OPS/TKS are based on its parts and use it as a basic launch vehicle).

Almaz/OPS is not based on DOS design, DOS was a common project Alwaz had grown from, but its modules have nothing common with early DOS design, and irl vice versa DOS/Salyut was an adaptation of Almaz/OPS modules.

FGB is the cargo part of TKS.
TKS = FGB + VA. 
It's FGB of TKS, VA of TKS.
(Also by design FGB at the same time is an expendable part of orbital station (OPS), but only after it had arrived as a partof TKS).

Type 77 modules (all the other Mir modules except Quantum-1, ISS/Zarya) are based on the FGB of TKS, that's right, but they have a little common in sense of engine placement.
Unlike FGB and OPS, those modules have two engines .on the conical part between 3m cylinder and 4m ring. This is nothing common with FGB or OPS.
This is becuase the narrow end of the module is used as research equipment compartment.

3 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

In orbit, the TKS flies "backwards": the "front" is where the docking apparatus is located.

Formally, on start, VA is its front side, just because the crew sits there.
But in orbit it's wide part is the fron side. Pilot cabin is there, while VA becomes a rescue capsule sticking out from... rear side.

It never flies backwards, it flies like any normal ship. Just after reaching the orbit, crew gets out from VA (reentry vehicle/rescule capsule) and passes into the orbital part of the ship (FGB).
They never at all pilot TKS sitting in VA, it just doesn't have equipment for this. VA has equipment to pilot VA, i.e. to make 2-3 turns in orbit, then deorbit, and land.
VA is NOT the cabin of TKS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.