Happy "Test-Flight Tuesday"!

It is a nice, bright morning here in sunny England. I makes a change, but then again, Dracula sees more sunlight than me.

Every tuesday I get the house to myself (excluding cats and dogs) until 2030hrs. It is also the time of year when I stop working...20th July until my wife goes back to work in september. So, this tends to be the day I test out all of the awesome designs I have collected during the pervious seven days. No rushing. However, there is just me, so if I find a 'problem' i'm doomed.

My idea is that 'we' could band together and show-off what we are testing, WIP, and any other geeky stuff related to KSPing. All you have to do is post a picture of what you are/have been testing, give a description of your experience, and feel free to add any other KSP goodness.

I also thought it would help with my designs too. I have been trying to design my own aircraft and will have to admit it is way harder than it looks. Strap some engines to some wings and off you go...or so I thought. My attempts have "flown", but from the end of the runway straight into the sea. Here, anyone can swap ideas and problems could get solved. I hope! All of that to one side, it might just be fun.

1 hour ago, dr.phibes said:

I also thought it would help with my designs too. I have been trying to design my own aircraft and will have to admit it is way harder than it looks. Strap some engines to some wings and off you go...or so I thought. My attempts have "flown", but from the end of the runway straight into the sea. Here, anyone can swap ideas and problems could get solved. I hope! All of that to one side, it might just be fun.

Sounds like an issue with the Centre of Mass/Centre of Lift alignment, or not enough lift. But even small wings give enough lift to fly if you are going fast enough, so check that the CoM is behind the CoL, but not too far. Also, make sure your speed is high enough that you don't suffer a stall after liftoff. 

I've read all of that. I have post-graduate qualifications in physics realated subjects too, but i'm still just a bad designer. Even when I just copy a design and build it from scratch, reverse-reverse-engineering, it still doesn't 'work'. Maybe I have no eye for aircraft? Any chump can fit monsterous engines to something, point it upwards, and it will get into space. I know this is true because I have done it. I might be over-ambitious with my ideas...who knows. Nil desperandum. Thanks for the quick reply.

12 hours ago, dr.phibes said:

I've read all of that. I have post-graduate qualifications in physics realated subjects too, but i'm still just a bad designer. Even when I just copy a design and build it from scratch, reverse-reverse-engineering, it still doesn't 'work'. Maybe I have no eye for aircraft? Any chump can fit monsterous engines to something, point it upwards, and it will get into space. I know this is true because I have done it. I might be over-ambitious with my ideas...who knows. Nil desperandum. Thanks for the quick reply.

Can I see some of your attempts? I may be able to find the issue? 

With my current success with the CT100-1 "Sequoia" that I made, ( https://kerbalx.com/JPmAn24/CT100-1-Sequoia ) I have continued with replicas of different aircraft such as the CD-8 "Pencil"

YVfj8rS.jpg

And now the CY721 "Eagle"

vVwrN0V.png

Both have been a joy to fly, but still have quirks to work out like the steering problem with my CY101 "Shortstop".

Will not be posting new craft between June 13, and June 23 because I will be away from a computer that can play KSP for that time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.