Old Version of KSP

Mgreen4442

You can download versions as old as 1.0.5 from the stores. If you're looking for older versions, and you haven't backed them up or haven't downloaded them in the first place, you're out of luck. Please be advised that sharing these older versions via "alternative distribution channels" (aka pirated copies) is illegal, even if you own a version of KSP.

Edited by StarStreak2109

On 7/11/2018 at 5:39 AM, StarStreak2109 said:

Please be advised that sharing these older versions via "alternative distribution channels" (aka pirated copies) is illegal, even if you own a version of KSP.

I still have versions of KSP back to 0.24. I haven't shared them with anyone, but if a friend - who I knew had bought KSP - wanted to play them, it would really be illegal to give them a copy? If so, on what grounds?

1 hour ago, MDZhB said:

I still have versions of KSP back to 0.24. I haven't shared them with anyone, but if a friend - who I knew had bought KSP - wanted to play them, it would really be illegal to give them a copy? If so, on what grounds?

In which country you live? Answering your question is highly dependent from the local laws.

The Vienna Agreement establishes a minimal set of Intelectual Property Rights, and some countries choose to expand them.

Edited by Lisias

1 hour ago, MDZhB said:

On the grounds that you signed a contract that said you wouldn't.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Above all Contracts and Agreements, there's the Copyright Act. Nothing can negate such Act, no matter what you sign.

In fact, signing such a Contract can be a law violation on some countries - others prefer just to make the clausule null and void.

Edited by Lisias

38 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

As you say, it's in the EULA: "You agree not to, and not to provide guidance or instruction to any other individual or entity on how to ... distribute, lease, license, sell, rent, convert into convertible currency, or otherwise transfer or assign the Software, or any copies of the Software." I was mainly wondering if it was just the EULA or actual copyright law.

On 7/15/2018 at 12:43 AM, MDZhB said:

As you say, it's in the EULA

The EULA also says that you can't reverse engineer the product, that it's a right granted by law to end users in the USA. So, this clause is null and void (i.e., it's the same thing as it wasn't written at all) in the USA.

Some countries grant the right of keeping backup copies, others don't. And so on.

To be absolutely sure about what you can and what you can't do, one needs to know in which country you lives.

— EDIT --

Added some clarifications (in bold)

Edited by Lisias
hit "save" too soon.

1 minute ago, Lisias said:

The EULA also says that you can't reverse engineer the product, that it's a right granted by law to end users in the USA. So, this clause is null and void (i.e., it's the same thing as it wasn't written at all).

Some countries grant the right of keeping backup copies, others don't. And so on.

To be absolutely sure about what you can and what you can't do, one needs to know in which country another lives.

You are absolutely right. It's like how, in the USA, it's actually illegal to void the warranty on a product for trying to repair it. In the end, though, us consumers are going to do as we please so long as we don't consider it morally wrong (or risky), whether the contract allows it or not. If you want to follow the EULA to the letter, more power to you. As for myself, as long as it's not harming the creators and I won't get thrown in jail for it, OK.

This discussion seems like it could get dangerously political, though. If anyone is interested in continuing, feel free to PM me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.