cant attach anything to command pod

Hello there kerbals.

i have a problem since a few days that i tried to play the game again.

i cant seem to put anything on the command pod besides the mk6 parachute. but somehow the bottom of for example a booster will attach to the bottom of the command pod. i tried reinstalling. deleting all files manually and going back to previous versions. also validated files constantly. nothing seems to work. if anyone knows the fix for this much obliged

So you're saying you can't get things to surface attach to the command pod?   Will things surface attach to the fuel tanks (or whatnot) that attach beneath it? What are trying to attach to the pod?  Some thing don't have surface attach nodes.   Couple pics of something not attaching might help. 

On 7/12/2018 at 12:22 AM, Gargamel said:

So you're saying you can't get things to surface attach to the command pod?   Will things surface attach to the fuel tanks (or whatnot) that attach beneath it? What are trying to attach to the pod?  Some thing don't have surface attach nodes.   Couple pics of something not attaching might help. 

Yeah i try with different command pods. somehow it looks like its upside down but that doesnt make any sense. fuel tanks and all that are not a problem. its mainly the command pods.F48A5678670AC1D3CE9B692A97EAFEE8084EE7F1E94569FC304E589AF3A2A97CFDBD8E322CE2C52B

Edited by Xeiss
text was split

1 hour ago, Xeiss said:

Yeah i try with different command pods. somehow it looks like its upside down but that doesnt make any sense. fuel tanks and all that are not a problem. its mainly the command pods.

Moving this to the "tech support for modded installs" forum, because it's clear from your screenshots that you're running a bunch of mods.

Just FYI:  when asking for help, it's really important to be clear whether you've got mods installed or not (and, if modded, which mods).  That's because, with any technical problem, it's vitally necessary to establish where the problem is, before one can begin to determine the "why" and the "how" so it can be fixed.  And if you're running mods, there's a pretty high chance that it's one of the mods that may be causing the problem.

So, before anybody goes any further, can you do one simple check?  Try running KSP without any mods installed and see whether you still have the problem.

• If the problem happens even when no mods are installed, then this is a legitimate stock-KSP problem and we'll need to dig into it deeper.
  • If the problem goes away when you uninstall your mods, then it's a mod problem, not a KSP problem.  Just use process-of-elimination to work out which mod it is, and then go post your question in the "Add-on Releases" thread for that mod.

12 minutes ago, Snark said:

Moving this to the "tech support for modded installs" forum, because it's clear from your screenshots that you're running a bunch of mods.

Just FYI:  when asking for help, it's really important to be clear whether you've got mods installed or not (and, if modded, which mods).  That's because, with any technical problem, it's vitally necessary to establish where the problem is, before one can begin to determine the "why" and the "how" so it can be fixed.  And if you're running mods, there's a pretty high chance that it's one of the mods that may be causing the problem.

So, before anybody goes any further, can you do one simple check?  Try running KSP without any mods installed and see whether you still have the problem.

• If the problem happens even when no mods are installed, then this is a legitimate stock-KSP problem and we'll need to dig into it deeper.
  • If the problem goes away when you uninstall your mods, then it's a mod problem, not a KSP problem.  Just use process-of-elimination to work out which mod it is, and then go post your question in the "Add-on Releases" thread for that mod.

yeah i do have mods now. i didnt have mods when i tried this before. so it is in vanilla and modded. i also reinstalled ksp completely by deleting all files manually.

Edited by Xeiss
extra info

• 2 weeks later...

12 hours ago, Xeiss said:

Hello? anyone? 

On 7/18/2018 at 1:39 PM, Xeiss said:

yeah i do have mods now. i didnt have mods when i tried this before. so it is in vanilla and modded. i also reinstalled ksp completely by deleting all files manually.

This was unclear if you have had this issue with stock.   So after a clean stock install, does the issue persist?

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Your screen shots do not show a command pod in the VAB. It looks like you're trying to attach a solid booster to... something tiny and cylindrical.

sorry yeah thats a drone core. made new screenshots from the tutorial. i am currently running with mods but this issue is also in stock. reinstalled the game three times before. tried different versions.

it looks like its rotated 180 degrees from the get go and i dont know whats wrong.

E0A14AE6849D712F9AE7E8E3EC2EBCA83AFC06ACC1EDF94ED28211082A69BB167F12FE07FBFD8069

3 hours ago, Gargamel said:

This was unclear if you have had this issue with stock.   So after a clean stock install, does the issue persist?

Yes unfortunately it persisted. deleted the game. hand deleted all the files in the steamapps and reinstalled. issue persisted.

This is really weird.

Do this, it won't fix it but it'll hopefully help.

1. Uninstall from Steam.
  2. Delete local content from Steam.
  3. Delete all the files again, and the directory to be sure. Mine's "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\" and that's the default.
  4. Reinstall. Don't install any mods.
  5. Load the game, and test. If it works fine great.
  6. Exit the game.
  7. Upload these 2 files to a file uploading service like Google drive, and link them here:
    1. "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\ksp.log"
    2. Either:
      1. "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\ksp_data\output_log.txt"
      2. "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\ksp_x64_data\output_log.txt"
  8. Hope we see something :)

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

This is really weird.

Do this, it won't fix it but it'll hopefully help.

1. Uninstall from Steam.
  2. Delete local content from Steam.
  3. Delete all the files again, and the directory to be sure. Mine's "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\" and that's the default.
  4. Reinstall. Don't install any mods.
  5. Load the game, and test. If it works fine great.
  6. Exit the game.
  7. Upload these 2 files to a file uploading service like Google drive, and link them here:
    1. "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\ksp.log"
    2. Either:
      1. "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\ksp_data\output_log.txt"
      2. "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\ksp_x64_data\output_log.txt"
  8. Hope we see something :)

i cant seem to find the output_log but i do have this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm2dr5oq14hrfxf/KSP.log?dl=0

followed your instructions to the letter

Could you verify that your GameData folder is totally empty, except the "Squad" folder? I see that there are no other folders except Squad, but I'm seeing this error when loading parts:

[ERR 19:02:25.046] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'MechJebCore'

Also, search for "*mechjeb*" from the root folder and all subfolders.

Also, in case you haven't done it yet try "verify integrity of game files" from the Steam right-click menu.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

Could you verify that your GameData folder is totally empty, except the "Squad" folder? I see that there are no other folders except Squad, but I'm seeing this error when loading parts:

[ERR 19:02:25.046] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'MechJebCore'

Also, search for "*mechjeb*" from the root folder and all subfolders.

Also, in case you haven't done it yet try "verify integrity of game files" from the Steam right-click menu.

http://prntscr.com/kbvkuy

http://prntscr.com/kbvl5m

http://prntscr.com/kbvlm6

but even after this file loaded the problem persists, idk why it keeps giving me the 1 failed but yeh :/ whenever i do the verify always 1 file fails. i dont know why.

3 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Hm I really don't know :(. I just know that there's no way "MechJeb" would be in any stock files.

Hopefully someone else will come along with better ideas.

thanks for trying anyway :)

On 7/27/2018 at 1:09 PM, Xeiss said:

i cant seem to find the output_log but i do have this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/lm2dr5oq14hrfxf/KSP.log?dl=0

followed your instructions to the letter

The output log isn't in that location....no idea why the @5thHorseman would tell you to look there.

It's in C:\users\the name you log into windows as\appdata\locallow\squad\kerbal space program....

It's in there along with your crashes folder and a unity folder. The crash folder should have your crash.dmp and error log files in folders by date and time of the crash. Sometimes those can be useful for Squad members to diagnose.....not that anyone from Squad has EVER responded to my request for crashing assistance....

3 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

The output log isn't in that location....no idea why the @5thHorseman would tell you to look there. 

Maybe it's a Steam/non-Steam thing. My output_log.txt is in d:\ksp\KSP_x64_Data\ because I installed KSP in d:\ksp\

It never occurred to me that it would be in a totally different directory if you used Steam, considering I copy that Steam install to my own drive whenever there's an update.

However I just checked and sure enough it's not there even though I have run the Steam install. Weird, and sorry for the confusion.

17 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Maybe it's a Steam/non-Steam thing. My output_log.txt is in d:\ksp\KSP_x64_Data\ because I installed KSP in d:\ksp\

It never occurred to me that it would be in a totally different directory if you used Steam, considering I copy that Steam install to my own drive whenever there's an update.

However I just checked and sure enough it's not there even though I have run the Steam install. Weird, and sorry for the confusion.

No worries. I only know where it is because every mod designer expects you to find it if you want help....

And then they still have no idea what's wrong and don't help you....

Edited by JoE Smash

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.