How to fire a Kerbal

katateochi

It just seems that some Kerbals bring bad luck to missions. Some pilots can fly and land craft that have the aerodynamics and fragility of a greenhouse while others seem to manage to crash anything they get into.  In my current career I've got one pilot who's flight status has been permanently revoked as they've crashed (and somehow survived) almost every craft they've flown, included some really tried and tested craft.  Yes I know, it's got nothing to do with the Kerbal on board, it's all my fault, but whatever, I'm placing the blame on Phosen.

Phosen Kerman is a menace to my space program and I want to fire them, but how? Obv I could literally fire them; out of something, into something hard, but I don't want the rep hit....I err, I mean, that's not morally right. I could just park them in a craft somewhere, but I'm playing with life support so then I've got to keep feeding them, or leave them with a huge silo of Life support resources, but a Kerbal at rest is basically an immortal. One option might be to set up a self sustaining base (greenhouse, airfilters etc), but I'm not sure if a single Kerbal can run a base like that, needs investigating.

So what do you do with Kerbals who cause problems or who you've taken an irrational dislike to?

"Marwell Kerman was lost while honorably testing a brand new jet airplane design."

"Virfal Kerman bravely sacrificed the last of their fuel to be the first to explore a new world."

"Haisy Kerman has been assigned to Alice Base on the Mun, and will be making a short stay of 77 years."

Of course, I don't play on career so I don't have to worry about rep or funds. Maybe save-file editing would be the way to go. After all, firing people does involve editing documents, I'm sure.

Not sure if I understand the spirit of the question (is it literal or otherwise) but you can just go to the astronaut complex and click on the kerbal you want to fire. A 'x' will appear to the right, allowing you to dismiss it.

33 minutes ago, Atkara said:

Not sure if I understand the spirit of the question (is it literal or otherwise) but you can just go to the astronaut complex and click on the kerbal you want to fire. A 'x' will appear to the right, allowing you to dismiss it.

oh! doh, now I feel stupid! I actually did not know that! I hardly go in there because I hire most new recruits with training missions from Tourism Plus. Right, Phosen is now dismissed! 

32 minutes ago, katateochi said:

I hardly go in there because I hire most new recruits with training missions from Tourism Plus.

I visit every now and then, whenever I want to know the profession of the Kerbals I set out to grab as, accepting the rescue contract adds them to the 'assigned' tab. But I have hired a bunch on an old career, as I was terribly short on engineers at the time and a launch window I didn't want to miss, was coming up.

Also, back in 1.0.5 iirc, I accidentally fired all the orange suits -thought I was in the crew selection tab, while I had switched to the astronaut complex. Obviously I loaded up the hard save :P

Edited by Atkara

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

it's all my fault, but whatever

I love this.

3 hours ago, katateochi said:

Obv I could literally fire them; out of something, into something hard

I also have mucho love for this part too

On 7/15/2018 at 7:16 AM, Xd the great said:

I miss Danny, when will he make a first time in ksp v 1.4 and 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 and 1.4.4

If he manages to survive the thousands of Kerbals he’s killed that have come for their revenge. 

Danny's still around. He just released a video not long ago and he hinted at more to come.

On 7/14/2018 at 7:08 AM, MDZhB said:

"Marwell Kerman was lost while honorably testing a brand new jet airplane design."

"Virfal Kerman bravely sacrificed the last of their fuel to be the first to explore a new world."

"Haisy Kerman has been assigned to Alice Base on the Mun, and will be making a short stay of 77 years."

Of course, I don't play on career so I don't have to worry about rep or funds. Maybe save-file editing would be the way to go. After all, firing people does involve editing documents, I'm sure.

As one experienced with career, reputation isn't affected by Kerbals that are permanently posted off-planet. Only when they are MIA or KIA does the meter get adjusted. And the nice thing about permanent postings is you can use your cheaper models of craft to get them there.  And as Danny2462 showed us when reputation was first implemented, you have to try REAL HARD to get a negative rep balance. I mean, if you wanted to go for the SpaceX Spacebus to haul 2000 kerbals to Duna, then you'd be taking a bit of a risk.

Park them in command seats right next to the launch pad, for a nice closeup view of every single rocket launch they aren't a part of. Bonus points if you put the seats in the exhaust vents of the pad.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.