Money only career?

I am unsure as to how to setup a career mode game where i only have to worry about money.  id like to start with all parts unlocked and available, but i just have to afford them.  im playing with contract packs and i dont want to have to unlock parts with science or deal with the tech tree.  i just want to build and try to accomplish missions.  Id even prefer if i could do contracts in sandbox mode but that seems impossible as well.

You can start a career game and fiddle with the advanced settings, and set your starting science to something extremely high and also give yourself enough money to immediately upgrade all buildings - that way you can visit the R&D facility once, research every node and never have to worry about it again.

@theroundcow:

There's a mod for that.  It requires Module Manager, but the script you want is four lines:

//Move every part to starting tech tree node
@PART[*]:FINAL
{
    %TechRequired = start
}

I borrowed the basic idea from @maculator, who wrote quite a few of the scripts in the database.

Open up your favourite text editor and save the preceding code in a file named, oh, pick something identifiable and unique, such as StartNodePartMover.cfg, but make certain that the file is in plain-text format and has a .cfg extension (not .txt, and definitely not .cfg.txt (it happens sometimes)).  Put that file in the KSP/Gamedata folder (which is the same place that you're supposed to install Module Manager) and run KSP.

This unlocks all of the tech tree but does not upgrade buildings for you; you said that you wanted only to worry about money, so I assume that since the building upgrades only require money and not science, you want to leave those in.

Note that this will work for any game, so it essentially turns Science Mode into Sandbox Mode, but it requires no ongoing (or initial) adjustment or calculation; it simply works.

I do not know how making every part available at the start will affect your contract offerings, especially since, without upgraded buildings, there are a lot of rockets that you will be able to design but not launch.  But this script should deliver what you asked for, and I will leave it to you to determine whether what you get is what you, in fact, want.

Edited by Zhetaan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.