My take on the "Duna Outpost Mission Architecture" challenge

michal.don

A new challenge appearing in the subforum really caught my attention. It's the "Duna Outpost Mission Architecture" challenge by @Death Engineering.

To summarize what the challenge is about - you have to develop an outpost on Duna surface, that is capable of sustaining a permanent habitation of multiple Kerbals. Your supply of launch vehicle is limited though, and the launch frequency depends on payload capacity of the rocket - you have to plan carefully what you really need there (tricky, since life support is mandatory). There are plenty of bonus objectives to fulfill for better score and bragging rights. You have nine years (four transfer windows) to prove you future colony is worth the effort for continued funding.

Since the mission will be very complex and will take weeks, perhaps months to complete, I'm starting this thread to report my progress and designs - I don't want to litter the challenge thread too badly, or just spam hundreds of pictures all at once when I'm finally done.

The basic timeline (which will be updated as the architecture will slowly take shape) looks something like this (launch frequency is one launch every 186 days):

MpMapt7.jpg

pRprSHM.png

Modist (probably not final, might add something later on)

-KER

-KAC

-KIS/KAS

-Better Burn Time

-Transfer window planner

-Trajectories

-Chatterer

-TAC life support

-SCAN Sat

-SpaceY

-Procedural parts

-Modular Rocket Systems

-Docking port allignement indicator

-Kronal Vessel Viewer

-EVE

Wish me luck!

Michal.don

Edited by michal.don

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

Launch vehicle looks a bit like a falcon 9 with SRB's strapped to it.

And, to be honest, even works like Falcon 9 with SRBs would..... The vehicle will be certified to launch 31 tons into LKO witk SRBs and first stage recovered, resulting in 186 days turnaround.

This is how the launch works:

Michal.don

Having the design of the SLV out of my way, it's time to start designing payloads and the crew LKO shuttle.

For the shuttle, I opted for a simple 4-kerballed rocket, looking like this:

p8sylNd.png

kpEnDe0.png

Nothing too special, but I rather like the looks of it. The SM has about 800 m/s of d-V left in LKO, which should be more than enough, even if I mess up the ascent profile pretty bad.

The first payload I had a brief look at is the Duna -> Kerbin -> Duna crew transfer reusable vehicle. I'm going to need two of those, because of the transfer window timing.

It will look something like this:

YDoU2a3.png69kvXpe.png6RAtGrP.png

This one is able to support crew of 5 for about 370 days (should be enough for any transfer in this mission), and is capable of making the round trip without refueling, using aerobraking at both destinations. Fully fueled, it weighs about 23 tons, and should fit on the SLV reasonably well (a little wider fairing required). One will launch to Duna in the second transfer window, and one will depart in the third one (while the first shuttle is bringing back the crew from the previous tour).

So far, tests look promising, I just have to solve an autostrutting issue that messes up the craft after several reloads.

And, I have to admit, as far as looks go I'm really proud of this one :)

Michal.don

Edited by michal.don

After designing a few bits of the architecture, the timeline is becoming more and more clear. Crew stays are scheduled, so now is the time to figure how to get everything they need to have there.

Before Y10D1, there will be four crewed expeditions to Duna, callsigns "Alpha", "Beta", "Gamma" and "Delta".

TKfajqK.jpg

In the first transfer window, expedition "Alpha" will go to Dunatian orbit in a pretty minimalistic spacecraft, equipped with a cute wee lander to land one crewmember on Ike (to complete "Early Mission Prestige" achievement):

dNJG8Bk.pngvLtffFs.png

Also in the first transfer window, a system of CommSats and SCANsats will be built around Duna and Ike (to complete the "Positive Uplink" achievement). The sats will be sent in one vessel looking like this:

OmwmxGj.png?3

The rest of the payload capacity will probably be utilised to place the first module of Duna Space Station into orbit.

Michal.don

Edited by michal.don

Another day of payload designing, so a few more bits of the architecture are taking their (almost) final shape.

So far, I have two of the DSS modules ready:

almENGL.png9sxFomy.png

The first one is a simple habitation module with a humble supply of life support supplies for expedition "Alpha" (to complete the "Duna Space Station" achievement). It will be transfered to Duna together with the Comm/SCAN sat array - with the transfer stage, it's just under 31 tons.

The second module is the main docking hub of the station, where the "Anette" and "Betty" shuttles will be parked during their Duna orbital stays, as well as the future DALV (Duna Ascent/Landing Vehicle). It also features a pair of tanks which will be supplied by fuel from Ike surface, where the main ISRU operation will run. The module will be brought to Duna in the second transfer window.

The second module will be delivered in IKEA style - some assembly required. That will be a job for the AAU (Automated Assembly Unit)

KOfsQZt.png

The most important part of the architecture is the surface outpost itself. For maximum "Achievement scoring", the oupost must be on wheels. This is what I have so far:

ln3VqKz.pngKI9YXSO.jpghFfy4pv.png

The first module will be delivered for use by Expedition "Beta". It can support up to 4 kerbals, and features water and air recycling equipment. It also has a wide array of science experiments and significant space in KIS containers.

The second module will be delivered for use by Expedition "Gamma" it feature a science lab, an array of nuclear reactors, and a hefty supply of food (since it's the only resource that will not be recycled).

I'll post some more pictues of the rover in testing when I get to my KSP computer.

The remaining vital bits of architecture that are still not designed are the Ike mining and refining facility, the Duna-Ike Shuttle, and the DALV.

Michal.don

Edited by michal.don

Did not have much time yesterday, so only one new piece of architecture is sort-of-designed. The ISRU rig which is going to Ike.

ILVwk2X.png9sxFomy.png

It is able to fill the silver LF/O tank in cca 12 days, take it to DSS in LDO and come back to Ike. The DSS will then refuel the crew shuttles, the DALV and the Duna-Ike shuttle. Quite a lot of flights from Ike to LDO will be neccessary, but I don't think I can sacrifice more payload weight for the rig.

Michal.don

1 hour ago, Kerbolitto said:

You're sure that you really need 2 Nukes ?

Well, with this "droptank" arrangement, the possibilities are quite limited. But I did some math, and discovered some issues, so a complete ISRU redesign is going to take place.....

12 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Well, with this "droptank" arrangement, the possibilities are quite limited. But I did some math, and discovered some issues, so a complete ISRU redesign is going to take place.....

What about something like this ? You can use the interstage node and truss structure of a fairing

wuz9li.jpg

Edited by Kerbolitto

On 7/20/2018 at 8:02 PM, Kerbolitto said:

What about something like this ? You can use the interstage node and truss structure of a fairing

That would be one option.... But I decided to do this a bit differently, while ditching the nukes altogether.....

A few screenshots to show what I was up to the last few days:

J3XK41D.pngBXYxubr.png

The DALV (Duna Ascent/Landing Vehicle), which will also serve as a shuttle to Ike, and the redesigned ISRU facility. It will only go to low Ike orbit, where a second vehicle will take the fuel.

9zgYhMn.png

This small thing will transfer full fuel tanks from LIO to LDO, and empty ones back.

i3JcR0A.png

Two of these will be deployed to HKO, to prevent any instances of Mun blocking the signal from Duna operations

2aBTtbC.png

The first module of KSS, which will be used as a parking lot for the "Anette" and "Betty" shuttles in LKO.

hiGgYqK.png

And finally, a little sport car to entertain the crew on Duna.

Also, I found out that while quite light-weight, my payloads tend to be a bit.... sizable.

H2rxo4D.png

Just a few small bits left to design, so hopefully, I'll start flying the thing soon :)

Michal.don

One of the last pieces, the EAV (Emergency Ascent Vehicle), for the "Backup plan" achievement:

jkn85wp.pngGIrfchT.png

Crew capacity of two, so four of these will be needed in LDO. The nuke tug is a concept I'm considering to change orbital inclinations of the EAV to be able to reach places with high latitude.

MpMapt7.jpg

Updated chart with life support needs. I'll be able to get pretty much everything to Duna in the first three transfers. In the remaining launch oportunities, I'll either expand the system to be more robust and player-friendly, or just send some "bonus" life support supplies. Or, things will go wrong and I'll be in a hassle to save the mission and crew, you never know.... :)

MIchal.don

• 4 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 4:02 PM, infinite_monkey said:

Where is that launch tower from?

I believe it comes from SpaceY suite of mods, I'm not really sure which one, to be honest... Aaaand I see I did not touch this mission for half a year, shame on me :D

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, how did you make that timeline? This challenge seems like something I wanna pick up, given the long-term planning and overall, well, architecture I'll need to design. It's a lot more broad-terms than a lot of the other missions.

Spoiler

By which I mean I suck at planning and like to take things very slowly. I'm doing this as revenge for a waaay too long career expedition to Duna.

Thanks!

On 12/9/2018 at 7:23 AM, somepersondunno said:

Hey, if you don't mind me asking, how did you make that timeline?

It's an AutoCAD drawing with pictures inserted. If you want just the basic timeline with travel times, they are possible to download, the link to them is in the original post of the challenge ;) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.