Some mods seem wonky in RO/RP-1

Zeiss Ikon

I'm playing an RSS/RO/RP-1/Principia career (on KSP 1.3.1, so yes, I'm aware that some of the mods are in pre-release states) -- currently in mid-1954, sounding rockets going high with heavy payloads, and the first tentative crewed suborbital flights (using an A-9 upgraded A-4 to get an X-1 cockpit to around 200 km -- Jeb and Val don't quite black out during reentry, and it's better if I angle over a good bit).  I've noticed a couple things that don't seem to work the way they should.

First, when I was flying a fairly sedate "X-Planes (Low)" contract (hold altitude at, in this case, 3000+ m, within a 1 km height band, for three minutes on the MET clock), when I landed I found I'd been awarded both the 5 km altitude and 350 m/s speed "world's first" FAI records.  Never went above 4200 m, and never exceeded 240 m/s (the airplane I used will just about hit that figure in a steep power dive).  The same thing happened on a later flight, when I was awarded 10 km altitude and, IIRC, 500 m/s speed records (same airplane, though I did actually fly above 5 km on that flight).  I'd have had those awards soon, anyway; the Single Step ("A journey of a thousand miles begins with...") A-9 launcher was under construction while the pilots were flying contracts to keep them from retiring.  This one, I'm fairly certain is a bug, though it would take me more than a week to reproduce (start a career, unlock the appropriate tech, build a jet).

For the other situation, I'm not certain this is a bug, but if it's as intended, I'd like to know why this behavior occurs.  I'm running Kerbal Construction Time, of course (it's part of RO).  If I edit a rocket that's under construction, or completed and in storage, the completion date is set back by a more or less reasonable amount of time, based on how extensive the change was.  Change the size of a payload tank -- hardly any effect.  Upgrade an engine and change the tanks for the new propellant mix, big hit.  By contrast, editing aircraft (specifically, ones that have been put back into storage with "Recover Active Vessel" from the KCT menu for SPH) doesn't seem to have any level of "this is barely any change."  If I land the jet above, perfectly (zero damage), "recover active vessel" to get it back in storage, then edit the craft, first, it loads in the SPH in nose-up vertical attitude (like a rocket -- and if I don't reset it, it'll then load on the runway that way next time I launch); second, before I make a single change I see 0% progress on what had been a completed aircraft (in other words, I may as well scrap it and build a new one); third, clicking "fill tanks" resets the build clock like a full rebuild, and doesn't even refill the fuel. 

Now, I'd expect to be able to haul an undamaged airplane back into the hangar, fill up the tanks, and have that process take no more than a few hours after the recovery process completes -- not 120 days to build a whole new airplane, using the same parts, and without even filling the fuel tanks again.  Obviously, the length of time is mostly due to having spent few upgrade points on the SPH -- but taking as long to check the tires and forget to fill the tanks as to build a completely new airplane certainly seems wrong.

So, something connected with contracts seems to have a bug related to FAI awards for airplane flights, and KCT seems to have a much uglier bug (in terms of playability), also related to aircraft.

I'm presuming I've got everything installed correctly; everything else seems to work fine (except that there's no good reason researching the tech to launch crew to orbit ought to take 12-15 years of game time -- our history did it in six and a half years from the 1951 game start date, or about thirteen years from the first WAC Corporal launch, fourteen from the first A-4 tests, which are long in the past by game start -- but that's another issue entirely).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.