Why does ksp require admin rights to run?

I get it on both my laptop and desktop.

According to Microsoft it is something that is baked into the build itself, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb384608.aspx. Information for Vista but is most likely preserved across versions.

An annoying thing sure, probably a trivial fix. Well, trivial given my knowledge of programing; but I panic compilers with the "Hello World" code. However those two aspects, annoying and trivial, give it a low level of importance on the scale of things to fix.

Until I tweaked something in the KSP folder, 1.2 would always ask me.   Go into the... errrr.... security tab under properties under the right click for the folders and set the appropriate permissions for KSP.  I had to poke and prod this for a bit to get it to work, might have to alter some perms farther down into the folder too. 

Are you guys using the Steam version, or the ksp store version?  

Where is ksp installed?  Under Program Files, or somewhere else?

And are you running the launcher or one of the ksp executables?

(I'm using the Steam version, installed under d:/games, and launching ksp_64.exe, and it never asks me for elevated permissions.  But the launcher might need elevated permissions to update ksp, especially if it is installed under Program Files).

Are you guys using the Steam version, or the ksp store version?
store version

Where is ksp installed?  Under Program Files, or somewhere else?
Many places. A folder off of C:\ , off a usb key. Though I may have to try it under prog files, just to see if it makes a difference. 

And are you running the launcher or one of the ksp executables?
Both. The launcher will end up tripping the prompt when the game gets run.

1 hour ago, steuben said:

Both. The launcher will end up tripping the prompt when the game gets run.

Thats your problem right there. It doesn't need admin rights, but the launcher does ask for them (for whatever reason - possibly because it's trying to start another executable, which could be perceived as suspicious) - as the launcher has been defunct for quite some time, don't bother with it.

Edited by severedsolo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.