Updating Steam-shared craft files

I've been uploading some of my aircraft and rocket designs to Steam, and this one in particular has 120+ downloads/subscribers. How can I tweak the design in the editor and upload it without it creating a whole new workshop file?

I have tweaked at least one design in the past (adjusting aileron settings, same as I want to do to this other file) and it uploaded as the same file with a change log in the workshop, keeping the subscriptions and presumably auto-updating the workshop file for all subscribers. No idea how I did this as every time I try to do it now it just creates a new workshop file.

Anyone have an insight as to how this works?

That's not quite the reply I had in mind. I share on Steam because it's easy, workshop subscribed files auto-update, and Steam is my preferred platform. I might share on KerbalX if it included a button in the game to share instantly, otherwise I don't really have the enthusiasm to go digging through my folders for craft files.

Does anyone have an answer to the question?

I've downloaded and installed KerbalX, I rather like the Craft Manager, it's more forgiving on the scroll-wheel of my mouse than the vanilla menu. I'll likely start sharing my files through this as well.

I'm here because it's an issue with uploading craft files from KSP to Steam. As it's a feature, I figured other KSP players who have been sharing craft files might have worked out how to do it right. There's a thread started by someone else in Steam discussions too and I've commented there, but no-one has an answer for that yet it seems.

Replies to look into your specific issue may be limited for a few reasons.

KSP used to only be available as a direct download (still is), and its addition to steam is recent (I guess that's relative).  So a bunch of us still update the old fashioned way and didn't/won't migrate to Steam, so we don't/can't use the Workshop.

@katateochi has had KerbalX online for many years, was there for us before the Steam Workshop, and is a KSP fan.  That biases some of us towards KerbalX since he's been with us for so long and has kept up with all the updates on a donations-basis only (and participates on the forum).  I feel like it's our duty to help him by supporting his site.

I also will not be able to help with your question, I just wanted to let you know why everytime someone mentions Steam Workshop the community points towards KerbalX instead.

Thanks @klond, I really appreciate the community's support of me and KerbalX *warm glowy feeling*.  You guys are awesome. Making and running KerbalX has been a really enjoyable experience, entirely because of this community.

8 hours ago, Osprey said:

I've downloaded and installed KerbalX, I rather like the Craft Manager, it's more forgiving on the scroll-wheel of my mouse than the vanilla menu. I'll likely start sharing my files through this as well.

Awesome! The scroll behaviour of the stock menu was one of the things that made me want to make CraftManager. Any issues, give me a shout or post on the thread.

I wouldn't say it's that recent, I've been playing the game for a few months short of 5 years now, and I've had it on Steam the whole time. I have children younger than this but I doubt you'd catch either myself or my wife suggesting the youngest was born 'recently' :P. That said, I appreciate the candour.

I'll hold out for a reply here as well as on the discussion boards, but no answers seems to be rushing their way to the forefront yet. Is there anywhere to ask the devs directly? Given this is a built in feature I'm hoping they might know how it works within their own software.It's not really a bug report or a suggestion for future development, so not sure where it belongs otherwise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.