Longer runway

the stock kerbal runway is (about) 8000 feet, the shuttles is 15,000 feet. Since kerbal is scaled down I think it should be close to the length of the shuttle runway. Also in some kerbal videos and possibly on some of your aircraft they overrun, since most runways don't have a dip at the end of them I think it'd be a good idea to make it at least a little bit longer. It has also been said by a streamer on twitch that the runway is short for a spaceplane runway.

You are in good company.  Kergarin (who is very good at SSTOs) suggested the same thing

But remember the jet engines in KSP have lots of thrust, so most aircraft can takeoff on the existing 2.5-km runway.  For specialized aircraft that can't, adapting them to be also able to use the runway is one more challenge from the game.

Edited by OHara
repaired link

Just now, OHara said:

You are in good company.  Kergarin (who is very good at SSTOs) suggested the same thing
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/52402-longer-runway/

But remember the jet engines in KSP have lots of thrust, so most aircraft can takeoff on the existing 2.5-km runway.  For specialized aircraft that can't, adapting them to be also able to use the runway is one more challenge from the game.

when adapting aircraft in such a way, I use the side decouplers and add them towards the front of the craft, and then a pair of wings tiled so the aircraft lifts off quickly, then I immediately decouple those wings.

Of course, that's when I'm not taking off within the first quarter-length of the runway.

10 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I would like that BUT I would like the extended runway to be to the left of the current runway. I use that dip a lot for launching craft and having my starting postion moved back would drive me crazy. 

yeah I meant for it to leave there, i don't think there's an easy way to overcome it 

11 hours ago, Lilithvia said:

EJ_SA lands all of his planes/spaceplanes on the runway just fine.

it really depends on the power, speed, and size of the vehicle if it can land on the runway stock-alike realistic shuttles are small in kerbal

Edited by Jack5.exe

It would be nice if there was a way to buy expansions for the runway, expanding to the plateau behind KSC (the light green part). Or, better yet, allow the construction of other bases in other areas in Kerbin.

Guys. I’m gonna be real honest. If your plane can’t land or takeoff and the already long runway, it might be time to check your design. While a longer runway could help, it would start to get weird. The reason the runway dips at either ends is due to kerbins curvature.

26 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

If your plane can’t land or takeoff and the already long runway, it might be time to check your design.

The only reason you'd have to check your design is if it doesn't generate enough lift if you take off at the end that's weight, nothing to do to fix that besides remove stuff.

14 minutes ago, Jack5.exe said:

The only reason you'd have to check your design is if it doesn't generate enough lift if you take off at the end that's weight, nothing to do to fix that besides remove stuff.

Doesn't matter how heavy it is, assuming the engines can actually lift it.

If you have your rear gear just behind the COM to allow for proper rotation off the runway; it will take off way before the end of the runway. (Assuming a tricycle gear setup.) It also helps to have your nose gear just a bit lower so your plane naturally sits with it's nose up on the runway.

With a "taildragger" gear setup you need even more natural pitch sitting on the runway since you won't be getting any rotation. You may even want to tilt the actual wings back a bit for a better angle of attack.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.