How to make a new install? (with MH expansion)

RealKerbal3x

I plan on making a new install for the first time with a bunch of mods installed, including 10x Kerbol system. I know how to install the mods, as I already have a few on my current installation. However, what I'm not quite sure about is how to install the game along with the Making History expansion without having to pay again. I know that you can download KSP as many times as you want after you've bought it. I got the game from GOG.com. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Assuming the GOG version is the same as the steam version you can just copy the entire folder to another directory, and get a duplicate installation that way.  (Start menu/desktop shortcuts will still point to the original directory, and the new version won't have registry entries, which may make it harder to apply updates, but you can just update update the original,  create a new copy of that, then move the mods + savegame into the new copy).

11 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

Assuming the GOG version is the same as the steam version you can just copy the entire folder to another directory, and get a duplicate installation that way.  (Start menu/desktop shortcuts will still point to the original directory, and the new version won't have registry entries, which may make it harder to apply updates, but you can just update update the original,  create a new copy of that, then move the mods + savegame into the new copy).

I plan to wait for a stable 1.4.x release to start the new install, so updates won't be a problem as I'll just freeze on that version. So I assume I can just copy the current one and delete stuff from saves/GameData as needed.

By the way, what mod would you recommend for a 10x scale Kerbol system? I've had a look around and I'm not really sure which would be best.

By making a copy of the game directory you can 'freeze it in time'. As long as you don't run the launcher (launch KSP.exe directly), the game wont try to update. All the game data, including mods and saves are contained in that directory. I'm unsure what stuff you would be deleting from game data (unless your talking about removing mods?).

If making history is installed, it will be copied along with everything else.

This isn't a process for reverting to an older version though. If you want to keep a specific version of the game, copy it before you update (doesn't sound like you're thinking that, but just in case).

I have a few versions of the game, preserved with their mods either so I can continue that save without issue, or in some cases because mods become depreciated. I have some mods in 0.19 that provide me with an attachable winch and rotating engines that I am particularly fond of.

KSP is basically purpose built for this, being (almost) entirely self contained (some of the logs are, or were, written to a folder in appdata). It's provided ready to execute (the version from the KSP site has no installer), and it contains all the data it loads in the main directory. Most games put the save folder somewhere else, usually Documents or appdata. Some games do this for screenshots and mods as well, which would complicate the issue. KSP doesn't and that just makes it even more awesome.

15 minutes ago, Randox said:

By making a copy of the game directory you can 'freeze it in time'. As long as you don't run the launcher (launch KSP.exe directly), the game wont try to update. All the game data, including mods and saves are contained in that directory. I'm unsure what stuff you would be deleting from game data (unless your talking about removing mods?).

If making history is installed, it will be copied along with everything else.

This isn't a process for reverting to an older version though. If you want to keep a specific version of the game, copy it before you update (doesn't sound like you're thinking that, but just in case).

I have a few versions of the game, preserved with their mods either so I can continue that save without issue, or in some cases because mods become depreciated. I have some mods in 0.19 that provide me with an attachable winch and rotating engines that I am particularly fond of.

KSP is basically purpose built for this, being (almost) entirely self contained (some of the logs are, or were, written to a folder in appdata). It's provided ready to execute (the version from the KSP site has no installer), and it contains all the data it loads in the main directory. Most games put the save folder somewhere else, usually Documents or appdata. Some games do this for screenshots and mods as well, which would complicate the issue. KSP doesn't and that just makes it even more awesome.

In gamedata I might have to delete mods that won’t work properly in 10x kerbol, who knows.

And with GOG it is possible to turn off auto-updates, so that shouldn’t be a problem anyway.

Fair enough. And yeah, as long as you don't allow the game to update an out of date version, you can keep using it until your OS/Hardware can't support it anymore. I.e. games that are more than  say 20 years old often become difficult to run because of changes to operating systems and computer hardware. 30 years from now we'll all be keeping some ancient PC next to our fancy quantum computer to play KSP :cool:

34 minutes ago, Randox said:

Fair enough. And yeah, as long as you don't allow the game to update an out of date version, you can keep using it until your OS/Hardware can't support it anymore. I.e. games that are more than  say 20 years old often become difficult to run because of changes to operating systems and computer hardware. 30 years from now we'll all be keeping some ancient PC next to our fancy quantum computer to play KSP :cool:

We’ll be playing KSP 8.6.1 on our portable supercomputers by then :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.