Karleigh Bob class GMD

Karleigh Bob class GMD (Guided Missile Destroyer)

S3gy0lG.png

(sorry about some of the textures going a little haywire, there's really nothing i can do about it)

Something a little different from the navy front. This Arleigh Burke class inspired (basically just a replica) ship is built in a more realistic manner, as opposed to the usual KNS ships with their MK-3 hulls and low part counts/sizes.

The ship features nothing all that special or groundbreaking, but it has a few neat details. These details include an IR powered gunturret with included camera (too see what your shooting at better), some animated comms/radar stuff, working props (can't be used right now as they will just act as paddle-wheels due to the almost antigrav nature of the ships flotation), and of-course the full hull with actually working rudders (normally have to use engines on the bow to turn).

Oh, and there's of-course the ships paint job.

The reason the ship looks like it's levitating, is because of the tweakscaled wings that now have insane buoyancy.

Because of these features, i decided not to add this to the KNS post, it shall instead remain as a possibly one-off 1:1 ship build.

I started the build by placing down four wings that marked the length and width of the ship, then it was on to making the rest of side of the hull (upper part first). after that it was a matter of getting the deck and the lower-hull made. once those where done, it was on to the superstructure. Height of the ship was eyeballed. I was kinda expecting to have a lot of crashes while building this, but thankfully not, it helped quite a bit to exit and re-enter the hangar every now and then.

Weapons in this thing was a pretty interesting conundrum, how am i supposed to carry near 90 missiles (SAM (Surface To Air) and Cruise on the real one), and 8 ASM's (Anti-Ship-Missile) onboard. Well, i really cant, but i did find a way to carry quite a lot without compromising realism too much. All the ASM's, or cruise-missiles in this case are carried externally on top of the hangar, and the other missiles are carried in the 2 missile cell's that are actually "Patriot" launchers turned upright.

7EbMccx.png

This allows the ship to carry 32 SAM's witch should be plenty to down any aircraft. I placed the launcher's where the forward CIWS (Close In Weapon System) would have been located. I moved it a little lower on to an external platform like the one on the JMSDF  (Japan Maritime Self Defence Force) Kongo class GMD.

The launchers needed to be placed there because i wanted to make sure that the launch tubes would be completely clear. I was basically afraid that the entire ship would explode if i launched a missile that was partially clipped by wings and such.

Yna7JdR.png

In case your wondering about access, the hangar at the back is open and has enough space to fit something like the Seahawk (could hold 2 if rotors could be folded), and there are "doors"(lander cans that i originally saw @Triop use as crew doors) littered around the ship that allow you to transfer crew to different parts of the ship: bow, mid-deck, hangar and wings of the bridge.

7QVmJdp.png

In case your wondering that if there's a way to fix this levitation issue, their really isn't, and trust me, i tried. It would take so many ore-tanks to make this thing sink low enough, that im pretty sure the whole of KSC would sink along with it.

Increasing gravity 10 times didn't really do anything either.

Operating instructions

1. before you set off, select one of the command seats located in both wings of the bridge and click "control from here".

2. Getting to water in this one is a simple as putting engines to full and turning off the runway. No need for maneuvering engines on this one, so A and D will be used for turning.

3. once you get to water, select one pair of rudders and turn them off. If you don't do this, you will have too sharp of a turning-circle and you WILL end up capsizing.

4. To operate the turret, Q and E is used for turning.

NOTE, the elevator group in the IR menu came with the ships bell that is allowed to swing around (semi realistically) trough the power of IR. It happened to be bound to a group that is meant to operate the aircraft elevator in one of my carriers (It's a subassembly), so pay no attention to it.

Technical specs

Armaments: 1x howitzer in the gunturret, 2x Goalkeeper CIWS with added ammo drum, 2x Patriot launchers with 32x Intercept missiles, 2x rocket turret, and 8x cruise-missile in open launch-rails.

Top-speed: 36 m/s

Length: 154m

Width: 20.8m

Height: 51.4m

Mass: 2.631 tons

Parts: 940

Mods used

Tweakscale, Infernal Robotics, BD-armory, and DCK (can be ignored, painted parts will revert back to default texture if not installed).

All in all, a pretty fun little project in the middle of all the usual ship projects. Im pretty proud of the end result, and i think it actually turned out better than i expected...well...minus the weird levitation, tough i guess i should have expected that since i was dealing with tweakscale.

As i said above, this will most likely be a one-off project as i do enjoy the more low-part less mods approach. But i do hope you enjoy it :).

Download link

I still need to remove the custom flags i have placed on it before i can release this.

Edited by kapteenipirk
Its Destroyer, not Cruiser..........FACEPALM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.