Make the new Service Bays interactable from EVA

As it is currently, when you blow the doors off the service bays to access what is inside you can only interact with the contents when you are in the ship. Some science experiments such as the mystery goo and science jr can only be used once, unless you reset them with a scientist kerbal on EVA. If you do this however with items in the service bay, you'll find that it isn't possible to select anything inside the service bay, just the bay itself. This totally cripples their use for science missions, leaving them as nothing more than a neat cover for things like rcs tanks.

Maybe you have a similar issue with fairings: Stuff inside it is sometimes not selectable. What you can do, is to move the camera, so that you are viewing from the isnide of fairings or service bays. Then, you should be able to select the stuff inside. The "Aim camera" feature helps you.

Does that help?

Mephisto
(Where is up in space?)

Ok, clipping the camera completely inside the module does allow for selection. That is immensely annoying though, and if I'm quickly grabbing science while skimming through an atmosphere or something I don't have time to play around with the camera trying to get the science in view with the camera inside the bay. On a side note, the 1.875 meter bay has a disc-shaped shelf on 3 out of the 4 sections, but the collider exists for a shelf in the fourth section even though there isn't one.

10 hours ago, Vectura said:

Ok, clipping the camera completely inside the module does allow for selection. That is immensely annoying though, and if I'm quickly grabbing science while skimming through an atmosphere or something I don't have time to play around with the camera trying to get the science in view with the camera inside the bay. On a side note, the 1.875 meter bay has a disc-shaped shelf on 3 out of the 4 sections, but the collider exists for a shelf in the fourth section even though there isn't one.

Action groups?

On 7/25/2018 at 10:20 PM, Vectura said:

Action groups don't allow you to restore science via EVA though.

no but you won't be EVA'ing whilst skimming through an atmosphere. I agree though, this is an annoying experience sometimes.

Umm...do your guys service modules work differently than mine?

The button says "Enable cut away view." Not "blow doors off." So it's the same as the cockpit cut away views.

As I understand it there is no way to actually remove the walls of the module, the game is just letting you "cheat" and look inside for convenience. (Which is why it can be toggled on/off) The walls are still there, you just aren't viewing them. So it makes perfect sense that your Kerbals can't activate anything inside, they'd be reaching through a solid wall. This is intentional I think and serves to give them a different purpose to the existing service bays with actual doors.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

57 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Umm...do your guys service modules work differently than mine?

The button says "Enable cut away view." Not "blow doors off." So it's the same as the cockpit cut away views. 

The 'cut away' option is available in the part action menu, that's correct. BUT:

1) This option is not available on EVA
2) The sevice bay are staged (looks like a fairing in the staging bar). Activating the stage will blow away the doors, so the content of the bay should be available on EVA.

Right now, it is indeed impossible to click on items inside of a service module after blowing away the doors without clipping the camera inside the module. Also, right after activating the stage, it is easy to access the parts inside of the modules, but as soon as you go on EVA and return back into the command module, it will be inaccessable like on EVA.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

4 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The 'cut away' option is available in the part action menu, that's correct. BUT:

1) This option is not available on EVA
2) The sevice bay are staged (looks like a fairing in the staging bar). Activating the stage will blow away the doors, so the content of the bay should be available on EVA.

Right now, it is indeed impossible to click on items inside of a service module after blowing away the doors without clipping the camera inside the module. Also, right after activating the stage, it is easy to access the parts inside of the modules, but as soon as you go on EVA and return back into the command module, it will be inaccessable like on EVA.

Oh, so staging them actually blows off the doors? Never even noticed they were on the staging bar.

So it's basically like a built in fairing then? Well that makes them a bit more useful I guess! Lol. I'll have to try that.

Thanks for the info, does indeed sound like a bug similar to the fairing one then?

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Thanks for the info, does indeed sound like a bug similar to the fairing one then?

There were so many bugs with fairings, I can't even remeber if there is one similiar to this one. I'll check the bugtracker later on for an issue regarding the service modules and create a bug report if necessary.

edit: There is already report #18459 :)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.