Planetary Station Cores

Jatwaa

What can you do with this mod? Make your own Solar System! Make a Station Core! Fly using Pluto as a fuel tank! Dive the depths of the ocean with Neptune! Each planet as well as Pluto and Luna (the moon) has been created into a Station Core with varying amounts of resources and torque based on size.

Need a giant base for Jool? Why not start with a Jupiter Class station core? Going to Eve? Why not take Venus with you?

Each planetary body has it's own rotation that will not affect the connected parts.

Most importantly, have fun and SCIENCE!

Video Link demostration:

Pics for Clicks

Album https://imgur.com/a/H20bpcr will appear when post is submitted

Links: 
https://spacedock.info/mod/1915/Planetary Station Cores

It's definitely different! Your enthusiasm for it is very infectious, although I have no idea what I might use it for other than as an orbiting orrery...

Have you considered using one of the various animation plugins? I think Animated Attachment might be a good one to use, you could get the rings to precess around the planets and/or the moons to orbit.

If you put the main attachment nodes into the centre of the bodies, then rings would automatically fit centrally around every body. Oh, and Uranus doesn't so much rotate backwards as on its side; it's defined as ~98 degrees prograde rotation, compared to our 23.5 degrees prograde. I don't think you currently have any attachment nodes that aren't on the equator, so it might be extra tricky to achieve this. I look forward to seeing where this goes!

1 hour ago, JH4C said:

It's definitely different! Your enthusiasm for it is very infectious, although I have no idea what I might use it for other than as an orbiting orrery...

Have you considered using one of the various animation plugins? I think Animated Attachment might be a good one to use, you could get the rings to precess around the planets and/or the moons to orbit.

If you put the main attachment nodes into the centre of the bodies, then rings would automatically fit centrally around every body. Oh, and Uranus doesn't so much rotate backwards as on its side; it's defined as ~98 degrees prograde rotation, compared to our 23.5 degrees prograde. I don't think you currently have any attachment nodes that aren't on the equator, so it might be extra tricky to achieve this. I look forward to seeing where this goes!

I looked at using AA, but the method used for rotation isn't a module, just unity. For modules, this would be more tricky, though I know how to get it to run I believe on loop. For the center Attach Node, yeah, I actually had included one, not sure if I left it in or not atm tbh. 

i would have to create a module to target the outer "gravity attachments" then assign them in a generic animation module and see if it works. If so, I need to then figure out how to do the light emissions and expand the project a bit. Sol would be massive in comparison, would be a VAB nightmare, but possibly viable...possibly

On 7/25/2018 at 9:35 AM, Violet_Wyvern said:

You should add the Sun as well,  The Sun should service as a massive electric generator,  It also illuminate lights as well...

Hmm, I think 90% of the links to creating lights are "Sorry we cannot find the link" crap :(

All  that is left is lighting and figuring out some transparency stuff

Ljx3n7q.png

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 9:46 PM, Jatwaa said:

Hmm, I think 90% of the links to creating lights are "Sorry we cannot find the link" crap :(

All  that is left is lighting and figuring out some transparency stuff

Ljx3n7q.png

do you have found any way to obtain a lightning sun/star?
having a little shining Mun would be awesome

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 4:01 AM, Kerbinidiel said:

do you have found any way to obtain a lightning sun/star?
having a little shining Mun would be awesome

I have kinda. Needs more testing, but ran into problems once in motion 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.