Balloon into orbit

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

This exists, so I doubt it would ever appear in stock.

But it is mod that doesn't work? Mods require updates after every game update, so that is bad option.

Edited by Cassel

4 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

modding it yourself is the only option then. It is a space sim famous for launching rockets after all, not balloons

If you like mods, you should admire them in the section devoted to mods, and here you should not comment on and criticize the ideas of people who want to improve the base game.

13 hours ago, Cassel said:

If you like mods, you should admire them in the section devoted to mods, and here you should not comment on and criticize the ideas of people who want to improve the base game.

I’m gonna assume there was some google translate shenanigans involved here, but the entire point of this section is to discuss and comment on suggestions... That usually involves criticism. 

Also kerballoons worked fine last I used it.

14 hours ago, Cassel said:

:lol:
Great attempt at moderating "your" thread. I can guarantee you that balloons will not become stock, since it is even more out of scope than submarines...which had multiple threads dedicated to it. But it is definitely worth a learning experience to continue trying to get balloons into stock.

The realistic suggestion is to use the mod posted by @The Aziz . It also still functions correctly as stated by @Mark Kerbin . The other option is to get into modding yourself, these modders aren't special gifted beings, they are people just like us...you can make great mods as well, it just takes practice ;)

On 7/26/2018 at 7:36 AM, Blaarkies said:

since it is even more out of scope than submarines...which had multiple threads dedicated to it

Disagree with that entirely. At least balloons have been used in concepts for atmospheric rocket launches and upper atmosphere/edge of space study. High atmosphere balloons are MUCH more closely related to KSPs intent that submarines, not further away.

@Cassel you should also note that balloons do NOT reach orbit. They go to the edge of space and that is it.

I like the idea of having high altitude balloons in the game, as a way to transport payloads like science experiments to the upper atmosphere.

I also have to disagree with @Blaarkies. Balloons are commonly used as a method to go to the edge of space and to conduct experiments, they even deployed some in the atmosphere of Venus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vega_program

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

I like the idea of having high altitude balloons in the game, as a way to transport payloads like science experiments to the upper atmosphere.

I also have to disagree with @Blaarkies. Balloons are commonly used as a method to go to the edge of space and to conduct experiments, they even deployed some in the atmosphere of Venus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vega_program

Yes of course they are great for science, and so are submarines in the oceans of titan. No rover or probe on a rocket will ever compare to them being in the element, or the balloons only costing a fraction of the price.

My point is that launching a balloon is far less appealing to players willing to spend money on this game, so why would squad implement balloons while there are still so many more attractive features not yet developed?

On 7/25/2018 at 12:09 PM, Cassel said:

I absolutely concur it drive me crazy when someone says "their is a mod for that" without actually contributing to the conversation. I do not mind informing the person their is a mod but it's frustrating.

My Opinion:

I think this is a good idea for bring up small probes in mass, it should be added to the game!

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Like adding more battery packs adds depth?

I do not want to debate this but all I'm saying is that it's useful, depth no, but more engines do not add depth either. It is a practical use

Batteries (and power in general) have always co-existed with power methods such as solar and RTG.

Adding more engines may not have more depth, but engines themselves add depth.

Just now, FireKerb said:

Batteries (and power in general) have always co-existed with power methods such as solar and RTG.

Adding more engines may not have more depth, but engines themselves add depth.

We do not have balloons. It's a simple addition.

ballon can has a lifting rate of 2m/s and it reduced by 0.5m/S per ton. Done

Not suggesting those as the actual number

More likely a lifting rate if 10 m/s

Also the balloons could be used as science gatherers and temporary replays

You could have a base under the sea on eve and deploy one of these ballons so you have a relay directly to space.

8 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

It's a simple addition.

What should they look like then? How should they function?

Questions like these can take a long time to answer.

I'd like to see you try to make the model for it, though.

Just now, FireKerb said:

What should they look like then? How should they function?

Questions like these can take a long time to answer.

I'd like to see you try to make the model for it, though.

I answered it shove

*above

20 m/s of lift with a 0.5 m/s decrease per ton this allows for larger craft to be hauled up.

4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

We do not have balloons. It's a simple addition.

ballon can has a lifting rate of 2m/s and it reduced by 0.5m/S per ton. Done

Not suggesting those as the actual number

That will completely break KSP realism without considering at least these:

Does that rate change with atmospheric pressure?
Does it change with the make up of the atmosphere, Jool giving less buoyant force to balloons than Kerbin? 
How does it affect aerodynamics, can it be used for extremely gentle aero breaking?
How much mass do they have, do they need a new fuel type to fill up like helium?

Just now, Blaarkies said:

That will completely break KSP realism without considering at least these:

Does that rate change with atmospheric pressure?
Does it change with the make up of the atmosphere, Jool giving less buoyant force to balloons than Kerbin? 
How does it affect aerodynamics, can it be used for extremely gentle aero breaking?
How much mass do they have, do they need a new fuel type to fill up like helium?

I suppose the higher the pressure the quicker they will rise based on the EXISTING model we have with the light blue, blue, black atimiter. The ballon with cap at 30,000 feet. The aeromodel already works like this.

I can answer this stuff pretty quickly I'm sure the Dev's can spend 20 minutes coming up with the statistics and the art team can handle the graphic model

9 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Also the balloons could be used as science gatherers and temporary replays

We already have planes.

And how would using balloons to support a relay be useful compared to having it on the ground. Or in orbit.

Besides, a remodel of on-rails will have to happen for this to work.