Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 and Making History 1.4 is live!

UomoCapra

@JPLRepo Thank you!

At a glance, and after a few quick tests, it appears this version has a couple of the nastier bugs fixed or at least improved upon considerably.  I may actually be able to play through a mission or two now.  Will have to fire up a few craft this weekend and see how it goes!

* Fix wheel explosions on docking landed vessels. <--this seems much better, at least 90% fixed :D some really big rovers can still take wheel damage on docking; but still... Seems a lot better now. Kerbals can mount/leave command chairs without wheel damage and exploding struts.

* Fix vessels splashed inside another splashed vessel being removed when outside physics bubble. <--this seems fixed :Dfloating craft don't disappear when tabbing between them anymore (based on a few quick tests anyway)

The fragile arrays are still an issue...  I'm just gonna have to drop the extendable solar and radiator arrays from my rover designs.  They just fall apart too easily on Mk3 Cargo Bay load/unload.  Little sad that I can't really use them on my rovers anymore.  ;.;  They all worked so well in the prior Unity engine.

@SQUAD  This update does seem to be an improvement; appreciate your efforts here.

I notice you moved to using Unity's settings website for analytic function opt-out. 
Is there a way to disable it in-game as well, or is that no longer possible with updated Unity3D versions?

7 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

That is exactly what the new behavior is. You are given a warning before it loads the save... so you can choose to continue or not.

Awesome, thank you :)

10 hours ago, razark said:

Is there a reason the game can't just not load the vessel, but keep it in the file?

It just doesn't work that way. I supposed they could have a special storage buffer for "things in the save file we didn't know how to parse" that they they keep in memory until it's time to write the new save file, but that would get really messy, really quickly. Save files would start filling up with all kinds of junk and outdated information.

2 hours ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Something I've wanted in KSP since I started playing it is the option for map view to displayed on a separate monitor from ship view, rather than having to toggle between them. Unity 2017 has a really nice feature for this, Camera.targetDisplay. Is such a feature on the table?

I'm hoping thats the announcement that'll happen (after 1.4.5) is released.  I reckon not just multiple screens but you'll but able to push those screens over multiple computers. IVA, flight, map and a flight control at KSC (or even better flight control sitting in the control tower :) so you can have two three of four in the same flight multiplayer.

Or I can dream.

Peace. 

8 hours ago, XLjedi said:

The fragile arrays are still an issue...  I'm just gonna have to drop the extendable solar and radiator arrays from my rover designs.  They just fall apart too easily on Mk3 Cargo Bay load/unload.  Little sad that I can't really use them on my rovers anymore.  ;.;  They all worked so well in the prior Unity engine.

There is certainly something weird going on, but it happens differently for me.  I tested your craft just now, and the basic fins on the front explode maybe 30% of the time.  It's odd, because the clearance is around the same as the Mk2 tank, and the tank doesn't seem to touch (visually or not) the Mk3 bay at all.  No deviation in movement.  I have yet to have a panel explode.  I do get the impression that speed is a factor.  What really bothers me is that, visually, this shouldn't be happening.  The basic fins don't appear to collide with anything, yet the log states they do.  If Squad is positive that the Mk3 bays and ramp have correct colliders, I'm not sure what it could be.

4 hours ago, Iamsodarncool said:

Something I've wanted in KSP since I started playing it is the option for map view to displayed on a separate monitor from ship view, rather than having to toggle between them. Unity 2017 has a really nice feature for this, Camera.targetDisplay. Is such a feature on the table?

I'm trying to think of the last time Squad implemented a feature that would get me to update like this one would.  Something that I couldn't duplicate with a mod.

This has been something I've wanted, and given up on having, for a long time.

Yay! 1.4.5! I'm going to check later, but I really hope this patch is more stable than previous 1.4.x releases. By the way, my favourite addition is this small thing :D Thanks Squad! I don't have to squint in map mode anymore.

Make mapnode behind body transparency configurable

@XLjedi @SQUAD It definitely appears (not visually) that the front of the rover collides with the ramp.  At high enough speeds, parts on the front of the rover are damaged against the non-ramp side of the...ramp.  As it's not happening at lower speeds (<5m/s), my guess is the collision may always happen, but the crash tolerance of the part is holding up.  This is a weird one.

4 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

@XLjedi @SQUAD It definitely appears (not visually) that the front of the rover collides with the ramp.  At high enough speeds, parts on the front of the rover are damaged against the non-ramp side of the...ramp.  As it's not happening at lower speeds (<5m/s), my guess is the collision may always happen, but the crash tolerance of the part is holding up.  This is a weird one.

Also strange that it's more prone to occur when exiting...  as opposed to entering the cargo bay.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/18017

Edited by XLjedi

12 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Also strange that it's more prone to occur when exiting...  as opposed to entering the cargo bay.

I'd like to confirm this.  I felt I was having just as many explosions entering.  I'll do more testing tonight.

7 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Hi! According to the tracker, it is being worked on. Looking forward to seeing the results in a future update, I guess :)

Yes, i can clearly see what's happening on the tracker (on my own report, frankly), but it's a little bit concerning. Especially if you consider that it was reported three months ago and there was already two patches released with quite some time inbetween them. 

Thanks Squad! I'm really excited to start playing again. I appreciate the great communication throughout this whole 5 month process  :)

Have a great weekend!

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'd like to confirm this.  I felt I was having just as many explosions entering.  I'll do more testing tonight.

Yeah, I don't think it has much to do with the panels either...  Seems to be associated with deployable parts.  Solar and radiator arrays of all shapes and sizes that can be deployed.  They just fall off rovers during very mild exit/entry speeds.  And I know for a fact they worked (and continue to work) just fine on my 1.2-1.3 installs that used the prior Unity engine.  I mean you can take the side panels off and the solar arrays just fall off, even when very nearly center-mounted on the rover.   I'll be playing with it some more this weekend; so will follow-up if I see there has been any noticable improvement.

17 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Okay.  Let's sit back for a few, and wait for the dust to settle.  Fingers crossed that this is the update I've been waiting for.

(Wave's hand whilst seated in rover) "These are not the updates you are waiting for."

Edited by Wallygator

7 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Yes, i can clearly see what's happening on the tracker (on my own report, frankly), but it's a little bit concerning. Especially if you consider that it was reported three months ago and there was already two patches released with quite some time inbetween them. 

Well, there are a great many bugs in the tracker that are older than this one. Some bugs don't get worked on for a long time, but at least this one is being worked on, which is better than nothing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, TC02 said:

Is this for console as well or just pc?

This one's just for PC/Mac/Linux, sorry. But there was a patch released recently for console, too. It's lagging quite a few version numbers behind, though.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:39 AM, JPLRepo said:

Not sure what bug you are referring to there. Do you have the bug number?

Not sure. When I try to dock two ships together, it has to be absurdly accurate otherwise the ships would get thrown away from each other. Matt Lowne on YouTube in his air launched space plane video explained it.