Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 and Making History 1.4 is live!

UomoCapra

Landing gear is serious borked. Please make it a priority for next bug fix patch, don't need steam integration features, need to be able to launch and land vehicles without ridiculous behaviors

1 hour ago, F3RGHNZ said:

Not sure. When I try to dock two ships together, it has to be absurdly accurate otherwise the ships would get thrown away from each other. Matt Lowne on YouTube in his air launched space plane video explained it.

I had similar problems that I workarounded by slightly pushing out the docks from the enclosing.

PVgcj624JkprDNGNUEm6CohqX_sTQ7_Gr9JKvEOt

Give it a try - it appears to be something on the colliders.

10 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Yeah, I don't think it has much to do with the panels either...  Seems to be associated with deployable parts.  Solar and radiator arrays of all shapes and sizes that can be deployed.  They just fall off rovers during very mild exit/entry speeds.  And I know for a fact they worked (and continue to work) just fine on my 1.2-1.3 installs that used the prior Unity engine.  I mean you can take the side panels off and the solar arrays just fall off, even when very nearly center-mounted on the rover.   I'll be playing with it some more this weekend; so will follow-up if I see there has been any noticable improvement.

Okay.  Yeah.  Solar panels breaking first time.  No where near any visible collidable surface.  Didn't notice before because they had broken so early.  Noticed after loading my save that they were already broken.

Yep.  It's almost guaranteed to happen on my test craft.  Just a Mk3 ramp and bay with 1.25m fuel tanks to stabilize, and your fuel truck.  Happened at 2.4m/s.  It also didn't show in the F3 log.  This is really frustrating.  I really want to use Tracking Station Evolved, but using the Mk3 Ramp as a ramp is pretty common for me.

I guess this wasn't the update I was looking for.

Edited by klgraham1013

10 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Okay.  Yeah.  Solar panels breaking first time.  No where near any visible collidable surface.  Didn't notice before because they had broken so early.  Noticed after loading my save that they were already broken.

Yep.  It's almost guaranteed to happen on my test craft.  Just a Mk3 ramp and bay with 1.25m fuel tanks to stabilize, and your fuel truck.  Happened at 2.4m/s.  It also didn't show in the F3 log.  This is really frustrating.  I really want to use Tracking Station Evolved, but using the Mk3 Ramp as a ramp is pretty common for me.

I guess this wasn't the update I was looking for.

It's also extremely unfortunate that this behavior is now being characterized as "by design" by @SQUAD

As long as that's the case, I give it very little hope of being fixed.  :(

Seems to me backing a vehicle down a ramp at 2.4 m/s is rather fast.  That's equivalent to 5.37 mph.  A more appropriate speed for backing down a ramp I would think might be about 1 foot per second which is around 0.3 m/s.  Try it at a speed under 1 m/s and see if it still happens.

Have you checked to make sure they aren't already broken before you start backing out?  Perhaps breaking during vehicle load or unpacking.

29 minutes ago, Skystorm said:

Seems to me backing a vehicle down a ramp at 2.4 m/s is rather fast.  That's equivalent to 5.37 mph.  A more appropriate speed for backing down a ramp I would think might be about 1 foot per second which is around 0.3 m/s.  Try it at a speed under 1 m/s and see if it still happens.

Have you checked to make sure they aren't already broken before you start backing out?  Perhaps breaking during vehicle load or unpacking.

Have you seen the bug?

There is something strange going on with retractable solar panels and mk3 ramps, and it is clearly not by design because the affected panel is always the one near starboard side of the ramp.  It is an intermittent bug that is difficult to reproduce in a simple craft.  But there is a bug-tracker entry and I didn't come to read the 1.4.5 news to find out details of whichever problems the more-vocal users are complaining about.

The airspeed indicator is now correct when we target a flag or rover near the runway.  Target mode used to give the velocity relative to the center of the body on which the flag was placed, which differs from the velocity relative to the flag itself, because of the rotation of the planet. (The old behavior could cause confusion on approach https://youtu.be/VU-_InTkc54?t=681).  Did anybody notice which version that happened?

Edited by OHara
clarify the new airspeed behavior is an improvement. Put a simple example for the ramp bug on the tracker

On 7/27/2018 at 1:44 AM, Iamsodarncool said:

Something I've wanted in KSP since I started playing it is the option for map view to displayed on a separate monitor from ship view, rather than having to toggle between them. Unity 2017 has a really nice feature for this, Camera.targetDisplay. Is such a feature on the table?

Oh man, that would be such a cool feature. I'd even buy a DLC which offered just this function.

Edited by Enceos

15 hours ago, Skystorm said:

It's really not that fast, as you can see from simple video I posted above.  ...and the damage doesn't occur when the vehicle makes the ground/ramp transition.  It happens when the vehicle transitions between the Mk3 Cargo Bay, and the Mk3 Cargo Ramp.  

There's also a bit of a dilemma on loading that renders the Mk3 Cargo Ramp useless for deploying rovers with deployable arrays.  If you don't carry enough speed, you can't climb the ramp.  If you carry enough speed to climb the ramp, you are guaranteed to break the deployable arrays. 

And it actually seems worse in 1.4.5 now than it was in 1.4.4.  ;.;

Edited by XLjedi

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, klgraham1013 said:

I'd like to confirm this.  I felt I was having just as many explosions entering.  I'll do more testing tonight.

Yeah, after playing with it in 1.4.5 this weekend... it actually seems to be even worse in this update.  ;.;  

On 7/27/2018 at 4:24 PM, F3RGHNZ said:

Not sure. When I try to dock two ships together, it has to be absurdly accurate otherwise the ships would get thrown away from each other. Matt Lowne on YouTube in his air launched space plane video explained it.

What constitutes "absurdly accurate"? Very low relative rate of closure? No relative "tilt" between the two docking ports? Near-perfect alignment with very close to 100% overlap of the ports? 

On 7/26/2018 at 4:21 PM, UomoCapra said:

* Make mapnode behind body transparency configurable and improve behavior for pinned/hovered nodes (MAPNODE_BEHINDBODY_OPACITY in gamesettings).

I see this option in the settings file, but for the life of me, I cannot find it anywhere in the in-game settings. I assume that means there is no slider or option in the in-game settings dialogs for this and you have to hack the settings.cfg file to change it?

Since there is no other documentation on this setting, what is the available range? 0 to 1 in increments of 0.1?  Also, 0 = less opaque and 1 = more opaque? Or vice versa?

12 hours ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

I see this option in the settings file, but for the life of me, I cannot find it anywhere in the in-game settings. I assume that means there is no slider or option in the in-game settings dialogs for this and you have to hack the settings.cfg file to change it?

Since there is no other documentation on this setting, what is the available range? 0 to 1 in increments of 0.1?  Also, 0 = less opaque and 1 = more opaque? Or vice versa?

Yes its settings file only and value 0->1 with 1 being the most opaque value - simliar to thethe UI_Opacity value in the file

19 hours ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

Just noticed this cool engine lighting effect, is it new this patch or have I been blind? :)

The way the engine exhaust is lighting the plane parts? You're blind. That is several years old. :D

On 7/27/2018 at 8:44 AM, Iamsodarncool said:

Something I've wanted in KSP since I started playing it is the option for map view to displayed on a separate monitor from ship view, rather than having to toggle between them. Unity 2017 has a really nice feature for this, Camera.targetDisplay. Is such a feature on the table?

There was this mod way back that did as you'd like. I seriously doubt it would work now however you never know! :)

@SQUAD @XLjedi Made a video showing the Mk3 ramp / extendable panel bug.  It's a pretty good example, as everything is as basic as I could make it.  Will upload the save file to the bug report.

Spoiler

I have yet to have this setup not destroy the panels.

Edited by klgraham1013

47 minutes ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

So how do I get the update? Im on iMac

Did you buy the game on Steam, through the Kerbal Store or somewhere else?

Your update should be waiting for you from the same place :)