Hey guys, It's my first post- and I want to kick off this journey with a new idea!

The idea of multiplayer is not new at all. Many players have suggested it before, but the level of difficulty cooperating  with other players would be nearly impossible.

What I'm suggesting is a race to the science tree, and other Celestial bodies. The players would _not_ interact with eachother, however. They would only be connected via leaderboard.  Each player would have their own save file. Time warp would not be an issue. (See scoring)

I haven't quite though of a scoring value, but I think it would be a ratio of some sort. Maybe science per price of missions(efficiency), Reputation per science points(Public interest)- still needs to be _thought though thoroughly_

Its also vulnerable to cheats. 

Cheats = _bad_

Again, first post! :)

How would this be better than just using a challenge thread like we already do?    Our challenge threads already allow one user to set up a game (establish a goal), and then select the scoring criteria.   Then any user on the forums who want to play in this game can, and they post up their scores, usually with screenshots as proof. 

Aside from the potential of automated scoring, how is this an improvement?  The goals would be limited by the code itself, devs can't think of everything (just look at every release of KSP ever), and the scoring system would be very strict.   Also only a limited number of players can join. 

I think you might be on the right path for one version of MP in KSP, but it needs some fleshing out. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also had a similar idea but couldn't really find the right words to describe it.

So what if instead of scoring we have world first achievements and leaderboads and whatnot, but they also show when they were achieved in game time. I also had an idea of making vessles public so they can be seen by other players and perhaps transfer ownership to, though they would have the same restrictions as timewarp. Outside of that, timewarp and whatnot shouldnt be an issue since vessels are in rails. From there things like launch services and player-made contracts as well as refueling stations owned by other players though compromises will have to be made like using teleport fuel transfer. 

On 7/31/2018 at 11:26 AM, Gargamel said:

How would this be better than just using a challenge thread like we already do?  

We wouldn't need forums for that ;-)

I thought about something similar. For general statistics I would add astronaut statistics, eg their level.

A scoreboard on a central server would open up opportunities for a new type of contract, e.g., lift a 10 ton payload into X orbit at the lowest possible cost.

The career profile would have to be saved on the server so that people could not cheat.

The scoreboard could be in the game and anyone playing career mode could view the results of other players eg during a flight on a screen in the pilot's cabin. In addition, a regular panel after completing the mission with the results of other players and a comparison of how we went. This should fuel the desire to compete with each other.

We could also have contracts / missions and the prize for the winner would be to put his space station (on rails) on some orbit, this station would be indestructible and available to everyone.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.