[1.4+] ETTR - Engineering Tech Tree Remastered

GrubbyZebra

On 9/24/2018 at 6:52 PM, GrubbyZebra said:

Got ya.

Anything not in code>gamedata is just whatever forked over from ETT.

ETTR has no release or even beta builds published. I Will see if I can clear out that releases list to avoid confusion.

Oh, I got it.

Just download code-gamedata!

8 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

What's about the little tweak for Sounding Rockets as mentioned in Probus' thread? Can we have it in this version of the ETT?

It is, SoundingRockets get 3 custom nodes and part distributions through a mm config file. I am having issues at the moment with a few of the parts not being redistributed properly (they show up twice) and so I haven't put any of the mod configs on the github.

10 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

Thanks for replying so fast.

While analyzing Probus's tree once I found many parts doubled over different leaves of that tree. Did you notice this, too?

Yes. I thought it was related to his using the yong tech tree plugin, but I am having the same issue so it is something else (I don't use yongtech). 

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, Ryujin no Mai said:

Is there any difference between your nodes and ETT's nodes?

If there is none, I could easily write up a script to parse ETT's file and convert to a Module Manager patch.

It would save you a bit of work.

Yes and no. All the ETT nodes are present, but ETTR adds a few additional ones.

The main reason why I can't automate it is because I don't want to have parts in the tech tree config file. Therefore, for each mod I have to write a sepearate config file to add parts to the tree. While this makes managing mod support easier down the road, it makes the initial set up more time consuming.

Also, i have a few assignment issues that I need to work through (parts appearing in multiple nodes)

For the mods separation, parsing through mods files and associating is doable. Just a bit more complicated.

Multiple assignments can easily be flagged. Everything else would have to be handled by hand.

If you wants me to do it, I can get you a PR with parts separated by mods with a duplicate file sometime in the next two weeks.

You would have to handle duplicate then you'd be free to move parts around.

9 minutes ago, Ryujin no Mai said:

For the mods separation, parsing through mods files and associating is doable. Just a bit more complicated.

Multiple assignments can easily be flagged. Everything else would have to be handled by hand.

If you wants me to do it, I can get you a PR with parts separated by mods with a duplicate file sometime in the next two weeks.

You would have to handle duplicate then you'd be free to move parts around.

Would like to see what it looks like.

Thx!

• 2 weeks later...

Before I pull you, here is my update on supported mods :

CxAerospace is dead. May still work. Included in case of a likely revival.
Rocket Factory is dead. May still work. Included in case of a likely revival.

Antenna Range is dead. Removed.
Aviation Cockpit is incompatible with RPM 1.5.1 (which is a dependency). Removed.
Behemoth Aerospace Engineering is dead. Removed.
Corvus is dead. Removed.
Hab Tech is dead. Removed.
Retrofuture is dead. Removed.
Rovers and Roadsters is dead. Removed.
Stockalike Parts for Useful Esthetics is very dead. Removed.

Everything else is kept. Some mods may have changed names (e.g. Atomic Age and Taurus were rolled into SpaceTuxIndustries by @linuxgurugamer).

Considering I have to load up a full ModuleManager.ConfigCache, there will be a few new mods to support (i.e. I don't really want to uninstall all my mods). If you do not wish to handle them, I will do it as soon as you have rough guidelines for every nodes.

Edited by Ryujin no Mai

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MysticDaedra said:

How's the progress on this, since ETT has been abandoned/put on the shelf? Also UbM has been abandoned for some time, and there doesn't seem to be many tech trees out there other than CTT at the moment. A prime opportunity for ETTR to take the spotlight! :)

It's going slowly. Had some family stuff pop up over the holidays that precluded my ability to review Ryujin's work. I also plan to revise the scope given the current state of Probus' original ETT (and in turn, pare down this one). Depending on my workload the next few weeks, I should be able to make some more progress and possibly get an alpha out on Git.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 9:56 PM, Ryujin no Mai said:

Is there any difference between your nodes and ETT's nodes?

If there is none, I could easily write up a script to parse ETT's file and convert to a Module Manager patch.

It would save you a bit of work.

Finally got through your work. Did not anticipate that many files! Looks good though. Saves a significant amount of time.

can delete the ETT folder that is in this, I thought I could deselect it when i composed a release, but there should be enough in here to push an alpha for people to start looking through and making feed back on. 

https://github.com/fwdixon/ETT/releases

6 hours ago, GrubbyZebra said:

Finally got through your work. Did not anticipate that many files! Looks good though. Saves a significant amount of time.

can delete the ETT folder that is in this, I thought I could deselect it when i composed a release, but there should be enough in here to push an alpha for people to start looking through and making feed back on. 

https://github.com/fwdixon/ETT/releases

Great to see you guys are still working on this. Once they released the making history parts, it broke my tech tree editor. The tree was too big to modify by hand without it being parsed into something more manageable. I really enjoyed working on it and I am happy to see that it’s “not dead yet”.

• 2 months later...

I have started using ettr and I have a few comments:

KSP 1.6.1 64 bits from gog on linux

1) On ksp launch 220 errors are found in three config files, I have not yet noted any adverse effect. I am using only one of these mods, coatl aerosapce.
    - 1 in AJE.cfg
    - 139 in Coatl aerospace.cfg
    - 80 in cormorant aeronology.cfg
2) In the tech tree:
    - If a part is in one of the free node but not in "start" it cannot be bought but is no avaiable, even if the requirement to buy individual entry is off in the diffculty settings
    -  Moving a part to the node "start" makes it work properly, I used the z-100 battery to show it
3) The tree "folds" on itself, the high level nodes appears close to the low nodes too, they are rendered twice. I have not checked how they behave
4) The tree is hard to read in its current layout, it might be due to point 3
5) If the start nodes wehre orking correcly a lot of experiement woud be avaialbe right at the start (temperature, pressure,science lab + mods), I think this is a bit too much and some should be moved further into the tech tree.
6) It would be nice to have a table linking the mods to the nodes they qre using, this would help understand how to fill empty nodes

I hope my comments are understandable. I will add picture as soon as I can.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:20 PM, nitpicker said:

I have started using ettr and I have a few comments:

KSP 1.6.1 64 bits from gog on linux

1) On ksp launch 220 errors are found in three config files, I have not yet noted any adverse effect. I am using only one of these mods, coatl aerosapce.
    - 1 in AJE.cfg
    - 139 in Coatl aerospace.cfg
    - 80 in cormorant aeronology.cfg

I expect errors for the time being, there are many behind the scenes issues that this is likely creating. As long as they aren't game-breaking, they are pretty low on the list (high time investment to track down and fix, no real benefit other than making MM happy).

2) In the tech tree:
    - If a part is in one of the free node but not in "start" it cannot be bought but is no avaiable, even if the requirement to buy individual entry is off in the diffculty settings
    -  Moving a part to the node "start" makes it work properly, I used the z-100 battery to show it

I am unable to reproduce this. The parts in the 4 startings nodes are all able to be purchased from the start of the game, sometimes it can take multiple clicks, but they are buyable.

3) The tree "folds" on itself, the high level nodes appears close to the low nodes too, they are rendered twice. I have not checked how they behave
4) The tree is hard to read in its current layout, it might be due to point 3

This is likely caused by having conflicting tech trees installed. Make sure you don't have another tree installed (other than CTT) in addition to this. 

5) If the start nodes wehre orking correcly a lot of experiement woud be avaialbe right at the start (temperature, pressure,science lab + mods), I think this is a bit too much and some should be moved further into the tech tree.

the only experiments available at the beginning should be the temperature experiment and the sounding rockets experiments (if installed), will have to look into this as I do not have all the compatible mods installed. also, it may be caused by having conflicting tech trees installed.

6) It would be nice to have a table linking the mods to the nodes they qre using, this would help understand how to fill empty nodes

I'm going to leave that up to the individual mod makers, as eventually I am paring this down to only use the CTT nodes (over 200 is too many to keep track of and way to many to show in the display space available). Any customisations I do will be noted in the respective config files within the ETTR game data folder. 

Thx for the feedback, keep it coming.

Edited by GrubbyZebra

• 4 months later...

If anyone is interested in helping test this and tweak part locations, node costs, etc, please let me know. I also need creative types to come up with fun and useful node descriptions. I'm more of a "this is the starting node" kind of guy, which get boring to read (and write) after the first few dozen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.