[1.4+] ETTR - Engineering Tech Tree Remastered

GrubbyZebra

So I've undertaken a little project with ETT :

• Converting the layout to a conventional left-to-right arrangement. - Deprecated, may revisit if there is a demand.
  • Removing Yonge Tech Tree as a dependency. - Done.
  • Making ETT 100% compatible with Stock and CTT. - Done, installing this with CTT will cause conflicts.
  • Removing nodes duplicated between CTT and ETT. - Done.
  • Adding more starting nodes to better facilitate an aircraft first or rocket first career path. - needs testing. Will be adding a mm patches to allow unmanned before manned, aircraft first, or choose your own adventure
  • Adding nodes to provide a longer R&D game (Tree current has 229 nodes and requires over 178,000 science to unlock) - Started reducing to streamline the tree.
  • Moving part configs to separate patch files to make it easier to edit part locations and add mod support - first pass is done, will need a lot of tweaking, but needs testing and feedback to know how to tweak
  • Re-aligning research nodes into logical groups based on engineering discipline - Done.
  • Creating new node names and descriptions (my creativity on descriptions has run out after the first dozen or so, so look for this to be crowd sourced). - node names are more or less done, descriptions are in desperate need of a creative mind or 40.
  • I rather liked the pinwheel tree idea, so long-term development will include a config for each layout type. - Done, needs testing.
  • Non-English localization packs. - Russian language is provided by Dr. Jet, all other languages are currently just the CTT files, need more translators.

GitHub Repository

Probus ETT Thread

The original mod was released as Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 license, as will be this fork's code.
    Any art or other assets distributed with this mod will be released under the license chosen by their creator. Reference the README for complete details.

https://github.com/fwdixon/ETT/releases

Dec. 2019 Update: Organised the Github repository and published an Alpha 2 release. Download and copy the contents of the Game Data folder to your Game Data folder.

Oct. 2019 Update: Removed the preview from the OP. Started work on the Pinwheel tree, preview image is on page 3 of the thread. Will post the completed image here when done. The mod now includes RDNodeAnchorFix by @Ryujin no Mai, which adds the bottom node and corrects an issue with some of the other attach points. Incorporated @Dr. Jet's Russian localization. Removed CTT dependency (the tree is still CTT compatible, but you will not need to install CTT anymore, and, in fact, having both may cause weird things to happen).

Sept. 2019 Update: I would like to get this reworked to be both usable and manageable. But I need feedback on the progression and costs. Once the node dependencies and values are more or less locked down, I can start the arduous task of manually locating the nodes in a pinwheel configuration like the original ETT.

Feb 2019 Update: Alpha 1 release is up, thanks Ryujin no Mai for the part configs. This is by no means anything close to finished, but it is now at least usable. Please provide feedback (good, bad, or otherwise. Also, the pinwheel layout is coming back, the grid is just easier to tweak during development). 
Edited by GrubbyZebra
New Update

I'm interested in seeing how this tech tree turns out!  ETT is my preferred tree, but compatibility with CTT would be really nice if it brings compatibility with more mods.

I'm curious to see what you do with the early tree for the aircraft branch.  I've never gotten far in an aircraft-first career game; there just didn't seem to be enough science available on the home planet to make it practical.

I do hope you return to pinwheel-type layout of ETT, though.  Once feature I like about ETT is how it puts standalone technologies into their own standalone branches (e.g., antennas get their own branch, and solar panels, solid rocket motors, etc.), and once you've done that I don't think organizing the whole tree into uniform tiers or tech levels makes sense any more -- it sort of makes a false equivalence between totally unrelated techs that happen to be in the same column.  Probus's layout really emphasizes that these branches can be tackled in any order.

The pinwheel layout is definitely my preference for this tree as well.

The current layout came from 2 things,

1) a request in the ETT thread for a more traditional layout (some people found the pinwheel confusing)

2) From a practical standpoint, figuring out how the various nodes related to each other (if at all) is far easier in a first pass if I grouped similar techs into the same row (for example, all the SRB stuff is in the same row, all the propeller engines, etc).

When the pinwheel returns in this fork, I am hoping to make several small pinwheels centered on each Engineering branch, although I'm not sure if the layout space is large enough to do this.

Edited by GrubbyZebra

Got localization working (although most of the descriptions are still blank) and started on adding icons. Also created a small cfg file for USI Sounding Rockets to test a few things. 

Anybody know if there are lists of parts for the stock game and MH expansion (or any other mode)? I can go through the folders manually, but anything I can do to avoid tedium is a plus in my book.

To clarify how to install this mod, you should delete the original ETT folder before installing this mod's ETT folder, right? And as per the readme you need CTT and MM as well?

A couple of bugs:

1) If you Alt-F12 to the debug menu after opening up the Research Station, do you see a lot of errors about missing icons?

HNjPIck.png

2) I tried this with Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes but got an error that says you might have duplicate id fields in your RDNode modules. Is it possible to avoid that?

Also, I know HETTN is not going to like those lines intersecting nodes, heh. It auto-reassigns nodes when it sees that situation. As the author I guess I could make that behavior an option instead of hard-coded.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:07 PM, ev0 said:

To clarify how to install this mod, you should delete the original ETT folder before installing this mod's ETT folder, right? And as per the readme you need CTT and MM as well?

A couple of bugs:

1) If you Alt-F12 to the debug menu after opening up the Research Station, do you see a lot of errors about missing icons?

HNjPIck.png

2) I tried this with Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes but got an error that says you might have duplicate id fields in your RDNode modules. Is it possible to avoid that?

Also, I know HETTN is not going to like those lines intersecting nodes, heh. It auto-reassigns nodes when it sees that situation. As the author I guess I could make that behavior an option instead of hard-coded.

I would not try to install this yet, it isn't even in alpha, but yes, this mod will be incompatible with Probus' ETT mod due to having several conflicting node names and more importantly, no longer being dependent on Yonge Tech Tree.

Only 3 of the ETTR-specific nodes have icons and very few have descriptions, that is what all the errors are from. 

As for HETTN, I plan on looking in to how to make the two play nice, but for now it's a bit down the to-do list.

Edited by GrubbyZebra

• 3 weeks later...

This looks very promising. I like the expanded tree of CTT, but did not like its starting branching nodes layout. 1->2->3->5 etc.

I much prefer that there are multiple paths. (I like the Left-Right layout instead of the pinwheel of ETT) and hope if you switch to pinwheel there will be an option for between pinwheel and L->R

I am very interested in seeing more.

4 hours ago, BlackHat said:

This looks very promising. I like the expanded tree of CTT, but did not like its starting branching nodes layout. 1->2->3->5 etc.

I much prefer that there are multiple paths. (I like the Left-Right layout instead of the pinwheel of ETT) and hope if you switch to pinwheel there will be an option for between pinwheel and L->R

I am very interested in seeing more.

there will be an option for each layout.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 8:46 PM, GrubbyZebra said:

Yes, for original ETT you need to remove CTT

Well technically, they could make it so that it would also work when CTT. Considering that many people don't delete it, I think you should assume it could be installed  and therefore should be handled

1 hour ago, GrubbyZebra said:

That was my guess as well but wanted to make sure

Well do you know any other meaning for this acronym?

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that you might be interested in adding the same techodes added by KSPIE, which mainly extend high tech CTT tech nodes.

Edited by FreeThinker

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well do you know any other meaning for this accronym?

Never know in KSP

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that you might be intrested in added the same techodes added by KSPIE, which mainly extend high tech CTT tech nodes.

I can look at it

23 minutes ago, OME said:

Why the latest version on Github is v20160603? Is it compatible with KSP v1.4.5?

Thanks

the latest version on my Git is v20180627.

Currently, I am slowly building mod configs for it and will post them once they are done, and the the mod will be ready for release. Right now, it is just a shell essentially (although it is usable, you just wouldn't get any benefit from any of the ETTR nodes). 

I am still using 1.4.3, so i have no idea if it will work with later versions (although it should work with any 1.4.x). 

26 minutes ago, OME said:

Why the latest version on Github is v20160603? Is it compatible with KSP v1.4.5?

Thanks

Just realising you were looking at Probus' ETT, not my ETTR.

Here is the thread for ETT:

Probus ETT Thread

9 hours ago, GrubbyZebra said:

the latest version on my Git is v20180627.

Currently, I am slowly building mod configs for it and will post them once they are done, and the the mod will be ready for release. Right now, it is just a shell essentially (although it is usable, you just wouldn't get any benefit from any of the ETTR nodes). 

I am still using 1.4.3, so i have no idea if it will work with later versions (although it should work with any 1.4.x). 

Just realising you were looking at Probus' ETT, not my ETTR.

Here is the thread for ETT:

Probus ETT Thread

That's quite strange.

I am indeed opening fwdixon/ETT(https://github.com/fwdixon/ETT), and entering Code, Release. 

But the lateset version is v20160603.

5 hours ago, OME said:

That's quite strange.

I am indeed opening fwdixon/ETT(https://github.com/fwdixon/ETT), and entering Code, Release. 

But the lateset version is v20160603.

Got ya.

Anything not in code>gamedata is just whatever forked over from ETT.

ETTR has no release or even beta builds published. I Will see if I can clear out that releases list to avoid confusion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.