excrements got real!

7 hours ago, Snark said:

I would have expected it to be fine at the default 1000 meter altitude.

I tried it. Same craft. Normal difficulty, no mods. Like the OP, waited for speed to drop to 200m/s before firing the second engine. Didn't touch the chute settings. Tried with and without SAS retrograde hold on descent - no difference.

Straight up, straight down - nothing exploded going up. Hit 250km. Max speed on descent about 1650m/s at 30km. Thermometer exploded at 19km. Deployed chute at 2km ASL. It opens at 1km AGL. Slowed to 5.5m/s at 140m AGL. Landed on the ground no problem.

Burning second stage angling to the East - nothing explodes on the way up. Hit 240km. Nearly identical descent as before (including the exploding thermometer) except with the extra height over the ocean, speed has dropped to 5.5m/s at 320m. Splashed down ok.

Just a fraction less speed stops the thermometer from exploding. Or change any of a lot of other things. And if ground height is expected to be higher than 320m it might pay to deploy higher and/or have the chute open earlier. Or change any of a lot of other things.

2 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Straight up, straight down - nothing exploded going up. Hit 250km. Max speed on descent about 1650m/s at 30km. Thermometer exploded at 19km. Deployed chute at 2km ASL. It opens at 1km AGL. Slowed to 5.5m/s at 140m AGL. Landed on the ground no problem.

Thanks for testing it. That's exactly how I thought it would go.

On 7/27/2018 at 1:55 AM, Joe78man said:

Ok, every time the game gets an update it gets more realistic at the point it's beginning to stop being a game to become an actual space program simulator. I regret that I have to be a physisits or space engineer to play and have fun, I thought I bought a game that would give me the opportunity to enjoy something that would allow me the fantasy of actually advance in the space conquer and feel like I was doing it all by myself, but no, seems that I have to study and spend a lot of time to learn actual physic to then test my knowledge and try to understand, after every fatal failure, what went wrong and go back to the board.

Am I missing something here? now my simple vessels, Mk1 command pod, BACC trumpet booster would reach a speed where it would blow up before escaping the atmosphere, and when I used the Hammer the speed was so high the parachute would not open soon enough to prevent the pod from crashing ground or splash to pieces into the sea.

POD+Hammer+MK16 chute= Chute wouldn''t slow it down soon enough

POD+Hammer+MK16+MK2-R=crash, chutes wont be able to reduce speed soon enough

POD+Trumpet= KABOOOOOM in the air after a marvelous heat wave that was very nice to look at, I thought I was going Sayayin.

What am I missing here?

Truly I do not find it soo hard, of course to play it better its easier to know about math and physics, (which I enjoy), but also, try on easy at first.

I am using 1.4 (that even need a direct line of view or some other means to move your rocket). and do not find it so dificult. but there are some basics you may want to read from some places like.

1) if you go straight up, you loose a lot of fuel

if you are having problems like that, try adding some "wings" to it, so, you can actually use the friction in your adventage.

and all you are saying kind of happen from the start with this game (except before 1.0 may be)

On 8/1/2018 at 11:47 PM, mystifeid said:

And if ground height is expected to be higher than 320m it might pay to deploy higher and/or have the chute open earlier.

The parachute deployment height is the height over the terrain.

7 hours ago, cwongmath said:

The parachute deployment height is the height over the terrain.

For full deployment this is correct. But as mentioned the parachute was semi-deployed at 2km ASL (above sea level) and with the ground height (as far as I can remember) less than 200m, the chute slowed the craft to a survivable speed only 140m above the ground which I thought was cutting it pretty close. You are right though, to imply that using the figure of 320m as a guide is misleading.

Perhaps you could suggest a minimum safe height above sea level to hit the space bar (semi-deploy) and a safe height to fully deploy (above ground level) for a mk1 pod with one mk16 chute coming straight down from 250km.

Edited by mystifeid

On 8/9/2018 at 6:56 PM, mystifeid said:

Perhaps you could suggest a minimum safe height above sea level to hit the space bar (semi-deploy) and a safe height to fully deploy (above ground level) for a mk1 pod with one mk16 chute coming straight down from 250km.

I'll test it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.