Making Kerbal Space Program Into A VR Game

This isn't a suggestion, it's something I'm actually trying to do with a mod pack. The idea is to make a full mod pack that will make the game somewhat playable in VR. Here's what mods I'm putting in:

Vivero (VR mod)

https://github.com/Vivero/Kerbal-VR

RasterProp Monitor (and various plugins to make the MFDs more useful)

Through the Eyes (Kerbal EVA first person view)

KIS and KAS (to make EVA a little more interesting)

I've run into a road block. Vivero ONLY allows you to enable VR when in an IVA... And apparently running the first person mod, and going EVA in first person doesn't count as an IVA. So I'm unable to enable VR while on a first person EVA.

It seems like there's possibly a simple fix, maybe a file I could open and edit in notepad, so that Vivero can enable VR regardless of whether or not you're in IVA. But I don't know enough about programming to identify what file I'd have to open, and what edits I'd need to make. If anybody has any experience with modding who could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. I'm so close to making a proper KSP VR mod pack work.

Edited by justmeman117

On 7/27/2018 at 5:21 AM, justmeman117 said:

I've run into a road block. Vivero ONLY allows you to enable VR when in an IVA... And apparently running the first person mod, and going EVA in first person doesn't count as an IVA. So I'm unable to enable VR while on a first person EVA.

It seems like there's possibly a simple fix, maybe a file I could open and edit in notepad, so that Vivero can enable VR regardless of whether or not you're in IVA. But I don't know enough about programming to identify what file I'd have to open, and what edits I'd need to make. If anybody has any experience with modding who could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. I'm so close to making a proper KSP VR mod pack work.

Here's where KerbalVR does its IVA check:

Looks like you'd need to patch the C# and then recompile it. It would probably be wise to collaborate with the author, to make sure the change is done well and make it available to others.

• 1 year later...

Even though Vivero does now allow you to enable VR when you're in EVA, and the mod "Through the eyes of a KErbal" lets you play EVA in first person, I have experienced a compatibility issue with those two mods which causes the VR camera to not follow the Kerbal around when the Kerbal moves.

It means that you can go in EVA, then switch to first-person view with "Through the eyes" (so far so good, at this point you can move the Kerbal around in forst person), then activate VR. Once youäve done that, you can look around in VR and it works. Howver as soon as the Kerbal's position changes (you make him move forward, by walking or using the jetpack) then the camera's position is no more updated. You have an out-of-body experience. It's caused by Vivero, which does not update the camera position somehow.

So here are my thoughts so far, with KSP 1.7.2 (and most likely 1.7.3) :

VR : playing inside the cockpit  (IVA)

Works (with mod "Vivero")

• Minor issue : the pod's cameras and some other displays (displayed on the in-game RasterPropMonitor) don't work if you enable them in VR. You have to come out of VR, click the RasterPropMonitor's button in regular IVA with your mouse, and only then does it work. You can go back into VR and the monitor is still working.

• Other minor issue : the buttons around RasterPropMonitor are hard to click because the VR's virtual glove has a fat finger and is pushing three buttons simultaneously (the one you're aiming at and its two neighbours). It usually takes several attempts. I wonder if it's an issue with the smaller monitor's mesh rather than the VR because it doesn't happen with the other model of RasterPropMonitor (the larger one, with the Descent options, that's usually on the side of the cockpit).

VR : Controlling the rocket in the cockpit with a joystick

Works natively. The mod

"

Advanced Fly-By-Wire

" (AFBW) helps a lot setting up the controls.

First-person (not VR) : space-walk outside of rocket (EVA)

Works (with mod "through the eyes")

First-person (not VR) : Controlling the Kerbal in space walk (EVA)

Still with "through the eyes" :

• With keyboard : works natively

• With joystick/joypad : natively, there's weird issue - the kerbal does not behave the same way as with the keyboard - it's almost impossible to make him stop spinning (no subtle stability assist that terminates the spinning, as with the keyboard) =>
    • I tried installing the mod "

Advanced Fly-By-Wire

" (AFBW) but it didn't help much. The issue seems to lie with the absence of stability assist rather than the controls.

• I ended up using external program "antimicro" to map the gamepad to the keyboard. That works well but it's not analogic control, it's keyboard control (key is on/off).

There are probably programs equivalent to antimicro to do the same, but with a joystick instead of a joypad.

Reminder : The "through the eyes", the keys are WASD + IJKL + HN

VR: space walk outside of the rocket (EVA)

Does not work for me : The camera is properly attached to the neck of the Kerbal and i can look around, but as soon as the kerbal starts moving there are issues (e.g. the rotation of the kerbal's body mesh does not induce a rotation of the VR camera's origin -- i.e. the Kerbal spins but you don't)

This would probably work with a bit of fixing from the author of Vivero but he's not too active (see the issue I posted on Vivero's github)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.