Rockets spinning immediately after launch?

Hi

I'm relatively new to KSP, but I have had multiple successful launches already. But recently, whenever I launch, my new rocket design begins to enter a gradual clockwise rotation. This rotation often means the rocket becomes extremely hard to control when I am attempting to achieve orbit. Any help would be appreciated.

If you have large side boosters, you should put struts between them so that they don't move around too much. If you have reaction wheels available, place one on your stack and press "T" before launch to help stabilize the ship. "T" is useful even if you don't have reaction wheels, because most engines will gimbal to control your orientation while firing. For most people, launchpad operations usually consist of "T, Z, Spacebar" to activate stability assist, set throttle to max, and then fire the engines.

Also, check to make sure your engines are all pointing in the correct direction.  Turn on the Center Of Thrust and Center Of Mass indicators in the VAB, and make sure the CoT is pointing straight through the CoM.  If it's not, one (or more) of your engines are pointing a bit wonky, or they are not balanced radially correctly.   And as Cubinator said, if you have radial boosters, they might line up nicely in the VAB, but wobble under thrust, so strut them up. 

On 7/28/2018 at 3:51 PM, TheEndHathCome said:

I'm relatively new to KSP, but I have had multiple successful launches already. But recently, whenever I launch, my new rocket design begins to enter a gradual clockwise rotation. This rotation often means the rocket becomes extremely hard to control when I am attempting to achieve orbit. Any help would be appreciated.

As with anything in KSP, there are a variety of reasons why this could be the case.  Could you post a screenshot of your ship?  Would make it easier for us to offer specific suggestions.

Also, just to make sure we're all on the same page, here... what do you mean by "clockwise rotation"?  Which axis:  pitch, roll, or yaw?  I'm guessing you mean roll, but would be nice to confirm.  :)

21 hours ago, Snark said:

As with anything in KSP, there are a variety of reasons why this could be the case.  Could you post a screenshot of your ship?  Would make it easier for us to offer specific suggestions.

Also, just to make sure we're all on the same page, here... what do you mean by "clockwise rotation"?  Which axis:  pitch, roll, or yaw?  I'm guessing you mean roll, but would be nice to confirm.  :)

Thanks and apologies for the late reply. I tested a couple of things, and eventually found out that toggling SAS makes the rocket far easier to control and eliminates nearly all spin. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.