JoE Smash

I believe I solved my constant crashing of Kerbal Space Program myself and thought I would share....

Question

Hello,

I have been reading everything I can find about Kerbal Space Program and crashing. There are NUMEROUS threads about it over the last FOUR years, but nothing in any of the threads here, or on Steam, or various reddits have done anything to fix the problem.

I run the 64bit version. I have 64bit Windows 10 Home Edition. I have an Intel Core i7 2.6Ghz CPU. I have 16GB of 1600mhz RAM. I have an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980M with another 4GB of RAM.

My rig can run Skyrim or Fallout 4 with pretty much maximum graphical settings without regular crashing and with smooth gaming.

The graphics in KSP are nothing to write home about, so the total lack of stability is pretty sad.

Now, I DO run about 100 mods, but I get them through CKAN and they are installed properly and with very few exceptions they are of the appropriate version to match the 1.4.3 KSP version I am running. The handful that are a for an earlier 1.4.x, I asked in the corresponding thread if they are compatible and the answer was yes.

Despite this my game was regularly crashing after trying to return to or exit the VAB/SPH after a flight. After leaving and entering the ship building buildings several times my game would crash. Since the game takes about 10 minutes to load with a lot of mods, waiting for it to load over and over to play for about 5 minutes is pretty damn tedious. I was spending more time watching the loading screen than playing the game.

I have about 20 crash.dmp files that I have no way to open or read myself and taking the time to zip them with the Output_log, error log, and KSP log files and then uploading them to dropbox to post a link here... and then get no response from any of the Devs is obviously not worth anyone's time.

So I did my best to try to solve this on my own....

Out of all of the Error reports generated with the crash.dmp files my RAM was averaging 50%-60%, but despite this Linuxgurugamer suggested I was running out of RAM or my RAM was bad. I put Memtest86 on a USB drive and ran multiple passes.....my RAM is not bad and has no errors. Since more then half of it isn't being used by the game or the mods, I don't understand how I could be running out of it. I don't have anything else running in the background. I disabled all my Windows startup processes.

I've tried forcing OpenGL, DirectX11, and DirectX12. It crashes with all of them. When I use OpenGL I get an additional module/file listed in the error report:

Spoiler

Module 3
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvami.inf_amd64_bab342ed51c72a38\nvoglv64.dll
Image Base: 0x6cc50000  Image Size: 0x024f8000
File Size:  38516152    File Time:  2018-05-08_172236
Version:
   Company:    NVIDIA Corporation
   Product:    NVIDIA Compatible OpenGL ICD
   FileDesc:   NVIDIA Compatible OpenGL ICD
   FileVer:    24.21.13.9764
   ProdVer:    24.21.13.9764

When I don't force OpenGL I get the same two modules listed typically:

Spoiler

Module 1
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xinput1_3.dll
Image Base: 0x00400000  Image Size: 0x0001e000
File Size:  107368      File Time:  2007-04-04_195422
Version:
   Company:    Microsoft Corporation
   Product:    Microsoft® DirectX for Windows®
   FileDesc:   Microsoft Common Controller API
   FileVer:    9.18.944.0
   ProdVer:    9.18.944.0

Module 2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\steam_api64.dll
Image Base: 0x6cc10000  Image Size: 0x0003e000
File Size:  235600      File Time:  2018-07-05_233110
Version:
   Company:    Valve Corporation
   Product:    Steam Client API
   FileDesc:   Steam Client API
   FileVer:    3.42.61.66
   ProdVer:    1.0.0.1   

The one thing that is consistent in EVERY crash I have had is I get KSP_x64.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005), and Xinput1_3.dll is involved.

I then did a file search for xinput1_3.dll and noticed it is located in several different places in my C drive. I also noticed that it came in different file sizes. So I Googled about it on the Internet. I learned that there is a 32bit and 64bit version of it. The 64 bit file size is about 105KB and the 32bit version is about 80KB. As you can see from my second spoiler above it is using the larger file size which makes sense because I am running the 64bit version of KSP.....I also learned that System32 is the 64bit program folder for Windows and Syswow64 is the 32bit folder.....that doesn't make sense to me and seems counter-intuitive....

What also doesn't make sense to me after doing my file search for that file, is WHY Kerbal Space program comes with two copies of it, one in KSP_Data\Plugins and one in KSP_x64_Data\Plugins and when I run the game with the KSP_x64 shortcut on my desktop it uses NEITHER of them? If you look at what is says in the error above it is using MY Windows copy of it in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xinput1_3.dll. Why is it using the one in my windows folder when the game comes with it's own two copies?

Then I noticed BOTH the copies installed with KSP are of the 80KB variety, which as I stated is most likely the 32bit version of the file....WHY would the 64bit version of the game come with a 32bit .dll file....one it isn't even utilizing...

So I tried something crazy. I went in my windows\system32 folder and renamed the xinput1_3.dll there xinput1_3_fail.dll, and then I copied and pasted a copy of the file from the KSP_x64_data\Plugin folder into my windows\system32 folder.....which is something REALLY stupid to do, and I REALLY need to remember I did that, because it will probably break every other 64bit game I try play.

So far my game hasn't crashed once and I intentionally went in and out of the VAB and SPH buildings like 20 times each and launched and reverted flights like 20 times.....something I could normally get away with like 4 times and the game still hasn't crashed. So now the 64bit version of the game is most likely utilizing a 32bit dll located my 64bit Windows folder....

People say KSP 64bit version is unstable....maybe it would run better if the game actually utilized the files that are installed with it....

I noticed there are several other .dll files listed in the Plugin folders.....is KSP not actually running those files either?

How do I direct the KSP executable to run the actual dll files that come installed with the game?

I don't think that is something I can do on my end without learning programing language and Unity and rewriting the game myself....

Could one of the Squad Devs please patch the game to actually utilize the dll files that come installed with the game, and ensure they are the ones in the correct corresponding plugin folder in one of the future updates please?

This is a list of all the .dll files in the plugin folder that MAY not be being utilized by KSP but probably should be: (I am basing this assumption on the fact it wasn't using the xinput1_3.dll in the plugin folder.....but maybe it is.....how can I tell? Maybe this was all because the 64bit plugin folder has the 32bit dll and windows 64bit is running the 64 bit version and this was some kind of mismatch error.....and now that I have the same file in both places they match now....I really don't know what's happening for sure. All I know is doing this made my game MUCH more stable in general)

CSteamworks

DIWrapper

lingoona.grammar.kerbal

xinput1_3

XIWrapper

Hope this helps someone else suffering from frequent crashing......!

JoE Smash

NOTICE: FOR THOSE OF YOU JUST READING MY ORIGINAL POST, I FOUND A BETTER FIX....

Go to your Windows/system32 folder and find xinput1_3.dll and copy it.

Go to your KerbalSpaceProgram/KSP_x64_Data/Plugins folder and delete, rename, or relocate the copy of xinput1_3.dll that is already in that folder.

Copy the copy from your Windows/System32 folder to the plugins folder I just directed you to.

This also seems to fix the issue and you do not have to mess with your Windows files....which is never smart....

Edited by JoE Smash
Typo

9 hours ago, Lisias said:

Do you want to know something that Microsoft did right, but yet everybody else managed to twist it agains them? DPMI.

Here is the full True History of DPMI, directly from the trenches:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/1998-04/msg00773.html

Ahh.. I missed out on the whole early PCs saga, thankfully.. I was into the UNIX-based Amigas back then.. Never touched a Windows machine until Win98SE was a thing. And not long after that, XP was released. My attitude/opinion is that it took Micro$oft until then to get things half-way right.

Edited by JAFO

So copying a copy of the 64 bit xinput1_3.dll from Windows\system32 to the KSP_x64_Data\Plugins folder and deleting the 32bit copy already there appears just as stable as the other way around.....as far as multiple crashes to desktop go.

I'm  still no longer crashing to desktop after playing briefly.

However I have now noticed that after changing scenes and reverting flights more and more of my RAM is being used over time and not being released.

Historically there have been threads and bug reports about this situation  (I have done searches). I believe Squad believes they fixed this issue in an earlier release, but I vote they have not.

I don't think this is happening because of my xinput1_3.dll swap, but I'm not positive because back when it was crashing frequently I was focusing all my energy on fixing that, not looking for additional issues. Now that I have the crashing under control I can look for more issues...lol.

Of course I suppose one of the 100 mods I have installed could also be the thing causing me to slowly tie up all my RAM, but to be honest I don't really feel like uninstalling all the mods for a third time to see if I can pinpoint which one might be doing this.

If anyone playing already knows of mods that do this, or can confirm the stock game is still using more and more RAM every time you launch and revert a flight back to the VAB, I'd appreciate the heads up.

You can visualize this by playing the game with Task Manager opened in the background  (by holding down CTRL+ALT+DEL) and ALT+TABbing to take note of how much RAM is being used before and after reverting a flight....

Someone in another thread historically said having tree scatter enabled in graphics settings causes this....I do have tree scatter enabled....I guess I could at least try turning that off at some point and checking on this more....

Edited by JoE Smash

On 7/29/2018 at 1:54 AM, JoE Smash said:

copy of the file

What file?

On 8/2/2018 at 12:14 PM, JoE Smash said:

I don't think this is happening because of my xinput1_3.dll swap, but I'm not positive because back when it was crashing frequently I was focusing all my energy on fixing that, not looking for additional issues. Now that I have the crashing under control I can look for more issues...lol.

[…..]

Someone in another thread historically said having tree scatter enabled in graphics settings causes this....I do have tree scatter enabled....I guess I could at least try turning that off at some point and checking on this more....

There's a thing on 32 bits code: it can handle only 4GB of RAM, and that's it.

So, by using a 64 bit DLL you probably solved the crash as KSP would be trying to give the 32 bit DLL a pointer above his addressing capabilities, and then everything goes kaput. With a 64 bits DLL, you could reproduce on KSP-Win64 an issue that we from MacOS and Linux are complaining for a long time: huge memory leak.

I will give this Tree Scatterer thing a try to see what happens. I'm pretty used to my KSP process growing up to 10 to 12 Gigabytes of RAM as time goes by (I'm running it on a 16Gb RAM MacMini).

In time, would not be 'Terrain Scatter'? There're no "Tree Scatter" on my KSP, only "Terrain Scatter"

9 hours ago, Lisias said:

There's a thing on 32 bits code: it can handle only 4GB of RAM, and that's it.

So, by using a 64 bit DLL you probably solved the crash as KSP would be trying to give the 32 bit DLL a pointer above his addressing capabilities, and then everything goes kaput. With a 64 bits DLL, you could reproduce on KSP-Win64 an issue that we from MacOS and Linux are complaining for a long time: huge memory leak.

I will give this Tree Scatterer thing a try to see what happens. I'm pretty used to my KSP process growing up to 10 to 12 Gigabytes of RAM as time goes by (I'm running it on a 16Gb RAM MacMini).

In time, would not be 'Terrain Scatter'? There're no "Tree Scatter" on my KSP, only "Terrain Scatter"

Hey man, long time no talkie.

Well that makes sense (the part above about memory addresses).

Yeah I think I probably meant terrain scatter. That's what controls the amount of trees or whatever appears on the ground in each biome....

I never came back to the thread after that lol. 

I believe I pinpointed the leak to using EVE with forcing dx11.

I don't have it with EVE when using openGL though....

The problem now is different modders only supporting DirectX or OpenGL with their mods all willie nilly.

Galileo is aware of DirectX causing weird lines and issues with his mods and he refuses to fix it. He says he won't support DirectX with his mods unless the game in general moves to only support DirectX 11.

I made Waz aware of the EVE leak and that so far has resulted in a blurb about it in his OP for EVE. Don't know if he's going to fix it or anything.

The BDArmory mod, which I don't use because I don't play this to shoot at kerbal ships with guns, has a problem with OpenGL.

JLRepo who is a modder AND a dev says to use DX11 with his telescope mods....Tarsier Space Technologies or whatever. I do use that one, so I guess I don't get to have cool reflective mirrors on the James Webb because I ALSO would like clouds in my game and Galileo will only support openGL thus far....

I guess until everyone can get on the same page and support both types of graphics even if doing that is more work, then you have to pick and choose what you can have in your game....

Edited by JoE Smash

23 hours ago, JPGSP said:

What file?

@JPGSP, did you come to this thread because you play KSP in 64bit mode and you are having regular crashes?

If so, what solved it for me was copying a copy of xinput1_3.dll from my Windows/system32 folder to the KerbalSpaceProgram/KSP_x64_Data/Plugins folder and deleting or renaming or relocating the copy of xinput1_3.dll that was already in that folder.....because it is a 32bit copy of the dll.

The one you are borrowing from your Windows folder is 64bit and the propper dll if you are playing the 64bit version of the game by using the KSP_x64.exe to launch KSP into 64bit mode....

The regular installation of the game seems to install itself with the wrong version of that file for the 64bit version of the game....

The thing about this OpenGL/DirectX is Unity's lack of support for a lot of fancy features. So people must go around Unity and do things "the dirty way".

I understand some people avoiding DirectX. A substantial part of KSP players are not on Windows, and using DirectX would alienate these guys - me included.

Interesting news the leak happening on DirectX and not on OpenGL…

13 minutes ago, Lisias said:

The thing about this OpenGL/DirectX is Unity's lack of support for a lot of fancy features. So people must go around Unity and do things "the dirty way".

I understand some people avoiding DirectX. A substantial part of KSP players are not on Windows, and using DirectX would alienate these guys - me included.

Interesting news the leak happening on DirectX and not on OpenGL…

I'm not a leak expert. I was just watching my RAM in the task manager slowly fill up over time while using EVE (and only EVE....no other mods) for clouds with directx11 and it not happening with OpenGL.

It slowly filled up even with the game "paused" with the ESC menu open.

For visual mods that use EVE for clouds (which appears to be all of them) the more complex the cloud layer configs, the faster the RAM gets eaten while in directx11 mode.

So basically if you want a visual mod with clouds and you don't want to excessively leak RAM, I recommend openGL.

Edited by JoE Smash

Just for a point of comparison, my computer is a 2 month old clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1803 with KSP as the only game ever installed by direct download from Squad, Steam has never been installed. 

Searching the hard drive the only result for xinput1_3.dll is the one in the KSP_x64\Plugins directory. No other exist on my computer.

In my output_log.txt there is a line: XInput1_3.dll not found. Trying XInput9_1_0.dll instead...

Searching for Xinput9_1_0.dll I get :

C:\Windows\System32\XInput9_1_0.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\XInput9_1_0.dll
C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-directx-xinput_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17134.1_none_18785281a71ced90\XInput9_1_0.dll
C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-directx-xinput_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17134.1_none_bc59b6fdeebf7c5a\XInput9_1_0.dll

6 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Just for a point of comparison, my computer is a 2 month old clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1803 with KSP as the only game ever installed by direct download from Squad, Steam has never been installed. 

Searching the hard drive the only result for xinput1_3.dll is the one in the KSP_x64\Plugins directory. No other exist on my computer.

In my output_log.txt there is a line: XInput1_3.dll not found. Trying XInput9_1_0.dll instead...

Searching for Xinput9_1_0.dll I get :

C:\Windows\System32\XInput9_1_0.dll
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\XInput9_1_0.dll
C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-directx-xinput_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17134.1_none_18785281a71ced90\XInput9_1_0.dll
C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-directx-xinput_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.17134.1_none_bc59b6fdeebf7c5a\XInput9_1_0.dll

I did research about what this file is actually for, because when I first discovered the issue I had no idea what was going on at all.

It is a file that is involved in controller support for Xbox game pad controllers, which are now supported for many PC games....

I often use an Xbox or PS4 controller through Steam to play games with....including flying a plane in KSP.

For KSP there is an "advanced fly by wire" mod currently being kept alive by Linuxgurugamer:

I am not sure why you don't have the file in question already on your computer....

I do know that I play A LOT of PC games and I often use a gamepad, so I probably ended up with the file on my computer as the result of an older Steam game requiring me to install an old Directx 9 redistributable.....which probably installed many old directx files that I was missing for backwards compatibility with old games....or something along those lines....

I know newer versions of Windows now updates DirectX through the Windows Update feature. 

Windows hasn't released a distributable copy of DirectX in like a decade. The most recent copy of DirectX that is free to download and install is one from June of 2010 I believe.

If you Google that you will probably find it....I did....

I installed Forza 7 on my PC and tried the XBox One controller, no problems. I haven't tried AFBW, but I might try it this weekend when I have time. I did another search of my computer and still don't have any more xinput files installed.

I'm not complaining, as I'm not having any problems. I just offer this up for comparison to your system. My relatively clean system doesn't have problems and doesn't have numerous versions of the xinput dll. Your dll problem may be that KSP is actually finding a xinput1_3.dll when it should fail and fall over to using XInput9_1_0.dll. If your solution is working for you, great, but it may not be the best solution.

37 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I installed Forza 7 on my PC and tried the XBox One controller, no problems. I haven't tried AFBW, but I might try it this weekend when I have time. I did another search of my computer and still don't have any more xinput files installed.

I'm not complaining, as I'm not having any problems. I just offer this up for comparison to your system. My relatively clean system doesn't have problems and doesn't have numerous versions of the xinput dll. Your dll problem may be that KSP is actually finding a xinput1_3.dll when it should fail and fall over to using XInput9_1_0.dll. If your solution is working for you, great, but it may not be the best solution.

Yeah I have a ton of xinput files...

Xinput1_1.dll, xinput1_2.dll, xinput1_3.dll, xinput1_4.dll, xinput1_5.dll  and the xinput9_whatever.dll you mentioned....

I actually updated my solution to moving the file from Windows to the appropriate KSP Plugins folder.

Obviously your version of the game is still looking for it, but it isn't present so it is defaulting to a totally  different version of xinput.

I wonder what would occur if you copied the version you DO have to KSP_x64_Data/plugins and renamed the xinput1_3.dll there to some other name....what your log would then say instead....

If that broke the game you could always revert the change.

I'm just curious at this point....as a scientist....

KSP is looking for xinput1_3.dll by default because that is what the developers included with the installation of the game. The problem is they included a 32bit file in a 64bit installation folder....with several other dlls that are all 64bit

Edited by JoE Smash

That's one long discussion, but I'm glad I arrived before it became necro.

First of all, thanks for the workaround, @JoE Smash. I've replaced my KSPx64 plugin with the one from system32 and will check if the crashes stop.

Now, what doesn't make sense to me is how this is even fixing the problem.
- If KSP is using the dll from system32, how is placing that file in the KSP folder gonna result any differently?
- If KSP tries but fail to use the KSP Folder version of the dll, then imports the version from system32, why does the game even crash to begin with (since it's importing the 'good' version')?
- Most amazingly, how did your KSP stop crashing when you removed the (good?) dll from system32 and replaced it with the (bad?) dll file from the KSP folder?

It just doesn't make sense that replacing either File 1 with File 2, OR File 2 with File 1 simply fixes the issue.
Then again, it's Windows, so, go figure... :confused:

35 minutes ago, Kowgan said:

That's one long discussion, but I'm glad I arrived before it became necro.

First of all, thanks for the workaround, @JoE Smash. I've replaced my KSPx64 plugin with the one from system32 and will check if the crashes stop.

Now, what doesn't make sense to me is how this is even fixing the problem.
- If KSP is using the dll from system32, how is placing that file in the KSP folder gonna result any differently?
- If KSP tries but fail to use the KSP Folder version of the dll, then imports the version from system32, why does the game even crash to begin with (since it's importing the 'good' version')?
- Most amazingly, how did your KSP stop crashing when you removed the (good?) dll from system32 and replaced it with the (bad?) dll file from the KSP folder?

It just doesn't make sense that replacing either File 1 with File 2, OR File 2 with File 1 simply fixes the issue.
Then again, it's Windows, so, go figure... :confused:

Yeah.....I still don't completely understand how or why this helps....I think @Lisias, has a better understanding of why and how.... and it was some really long winded explanation about dll files...lol

There is some sort of explanation in this thread from him if your read through it....we discussed it after I reported it....

All I know is I was crashing all over the damn place before I discovered this issue....and now magically I am not....

I have at least one confirmed report of this helping someone else (I think) from @JPGSP, we were writing back and forth via forum mail a day or two ago. I asked him to report back here if it definitely helped....either it did help and he forgot to mention it here, or it didn't and he gave up....lol....

Yeah. Well, unfortunately for me, my crashes didn't stop. I'm trying to reproduce the issue under stock KSP and will create a thread soon™.
In any case, thanks for the thread. This issue has been going on for a long time, and I'm sure many other players have experienced it. Hopefully this will help most of them.

1 hour ago, Kowgan said:

Yeah. Well, unfortunately for me, my crashes didn't stop. I'm trying to reproduce the issue under stock KSP and will create a thread soon™.
In any case, thanks for the thread. This issue has been going on for a long time, and I'm sure many other players have experienced it. Hopefully this will help most of them.

That sucks. Do you have error logs and stuff?

Usually if you zip the error log, KSP log, and Output log and upload them to like Dropbox and share the link in the appropriate technical support thread people will try to help.

Amazingly it seems like almost NO Squad staff help though.....I always thought the point of game forums was to get help with the game from people involved with the inner workings of the game....not just bored people....

If you look in this thread, there is like one staff response and it was  basically, "that's not my department...."

Edited by JoE Smash

Yes, here's the thread: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/177761-crashes-upon-reloading-vabsphlaunch-excessively/

What confuses me is that the error seems to be related to lack of available RAM. Although I have 16GB of RAM, KSPx64 only uses about 4GB - including during the time of crash - and I still had about 50% RAM free during the crash reported there. So I have no clue why it says I've ran out of memory.

But this is unrelated to this thread, so I'll stop the offtopic here.

Edited by Kowgan

8 hours ago, Kowgan said:

What confuses me is that the error seems to be related to lack of available RAM. Although I have 16GB of RAM, KSPx64 only uses about 4GB - including during the time of crash - and I still had about 50% RAM free during the crash reported there. So I have no clue why it says I've ran out of memory.

I run KSP on a Mac machine, and it's usually eats up 10 to 12G of RAM.

If your KSPx64 is consistently dying at 4GB of memory allocated by the process, I definitively would bet on some 32 bits DLL somewhere in the System being used by KSP, and getting killed when KSP reaches that memory limit and the get shoot on the feet when it calls that DLL using a memory pointer above that.

If the XInput trick didn't helped you, there's a good change that something else on your system is getting into this.

Another thing is VRAM memory. Each texture you add to KSP via mods eats VRAM from the GPU Card. When you exhaust your VRAM, Unity also crashes without any clue about the reason.

@Lisias That's really good info, thank you.

Although my KSP goes a bit over 4GB (4.1, 4.2) without crashes, I guess it makes sense that it only crashes when a 32bit DLL is called.

About the GPU Card. I got 2GB on my GPU, and I was wondering if running out of memory on it could cause a crash, but since I've never seen it mentioned before, I thought it would be stupid to think so.
Now that you've mentioned it, I guess KSP's (or Unity's infamous) garbage collector might be causing that GPU memory overload, and thus, leading it to a CTD. If that's the case, there's not much I can do.

Still, it's good to know the probable causes.

Edited by Kowgan

1 hour ago, Kowgan said:

@Lisias Now that you've mentioned it, I guess KSP's (or Unity's infamous) garbage collector might be causing that GPU memory overload, and thus, leading it to a CTD. If that's the case, there's not much I can do.

You can increase the texture compression (I use x2 on my rig), or delete one or two less needed Mod. I have 4 installments for KSP here, each one specialized on a Mission exactly due that.

The xinput1_3.dll in Kerbal Space Program\KSP_x64_Data\Plugins\ still is the 32 bit version ...

Spoiler

I too noticed an immediate improvement after subbing the xinput1_3 file from the windows directory into my KSP directory. I have a fairly robust system (Core I7, Nvidia 1060, 32 GB of RAM) on my modded (160+) install. I was crashing randomly after about 2 hours of play. Crash logs showed my memory utilization to be generally low, yet it was the same access violation and same files as the OP. Since subbing out xinput1_3, I have been able to leave KSP running in flight, tracking station, and space center scenes for over 24 hours (each) AND resume playing at irregular intervals (whenever KCT finishes building the next rocket or KAC sets off an alarm). My goal is to run KSP in real time full time on a dedicated system, which now seems possible. I have not experienced any issues with the file substitution.

If someone has Squad's ear and can ask them to look into this, I think @JoE Smash may have fixed this particular crash cause.

Thanks for bumping this thread.  I suspect it's very likely the cause for my similar CTD's when entering the VAB (posted a few days ago).  I'll have to give it a go this evening.  Fingers crossed!

3 hours ago, Friznit said:

Thanks for bumping this thread.  I suspect it's very likely the cause for my similar CTD's when entering the VAB (posted a few days ago).  I'll have to give it a go this evening.  Fingers crossed!

I *did* have a crash after installing Restock and Restock+, so I suspect that there may be another 32-bit .dll lurking about, but this out of my area of expertise.