Mk3 Cargo Bays with high ground plates! (Postponed indefinitely)

Kebab Kerman

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you guys like to see 7.5m Mk3 (Mk3XL) parts? (Will include 5m, 10m, and 20m parts, cargo doors, and multiple adapters, and are just enlarged Mk3 parts.)

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but in another mod
    • Just make the DS cargo ramp you walnut

So, I saw this thread on mk3 cargo bays, and thought "Why not?" So, I decided to make this mod! So far, this has actually gotten pretty popular, much more than I expected! Not really sure what else to put here, so I'll just leave it at that.

No longer halted! Work will resume today (May 30, 2019)! Sorry to disappoint, but it's been postponed indefinitely. I've simply lost interest. Should've said this two years ago, but oh well.

Download: https://spacedock.info/mod/1919/Mk3 High Ground Plates

Update History:

Spoiler

0.1.0 (Currently Unreleased)

- Added DS Tail Ramp (Currently unreleased until ramp is fully implemented and working. Lost the model, so I'm gonna model a completely new and improved one.)

- Added elevator

- Added elevator adapter

- Made proper part tree

- Now lets you change part tabs

- Added new DS (Double-stacked) parts

Finally fixed collision boxes

- Still attempting to fix collision boxes

- Attempted to fix collision boxes

- Fixed offsets

- Models and textures re-done from scratch, slight offsets in all but longest bay

- Popped into existence

Current version: 0.0.9

Credit to Neistridlar for the elevator animations. Couldn't have done this without him, to be honest.

Edited by Kebab Kerman
Indefinite postponing. Sorry.

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

screenshots? :)

Let me try, and hopefully I won't upload a printscreen instead!

EDIT: Actually, let me finish texturing first. Lets hope I can do a Stockalike look correctly. I can't. :P

EDIT #2: Wings 3D keeps crashing when I try to create a texture, and the only complaint was from 2005. So I might not be able to create any textures... :(

EDIT #3: Actually fixed the issue an hour ago, but it was because I was using 2.1.7 of Wings 3D, and it hates making textures, apparently :P Anyway, I'm testing out a part to see if the size is correct or not.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

So, accidentally set the size wrong, and now it's 3.25 instead of 3.75. Whoops!

EDIT: Finally finished!

EDIT #2: Made an error in scaling, just fixed it. Launching the game now to test them.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

4 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

Pix or it didn't happen :sticktongue:. Idea looks good though.

Ok, turns out, it's not finished, and I might have to redo from scratch. Stupid parts are offset. Plus, they're slightly off-scale. Just enough to annoy me to bits.

Just now, Jesusthebird said:

Pipeline thought. Incorporate your models as a variant to the current mk3 parts. I actually like the mk2.5 pack..but a bit small for me. I anticipate great things here. Good luck!

Do you mind defining what you mean by "incorporate?" At the moment most of my head is trying to figure out if these models are the right size now.

Mod has been updated! Should be fixed and working now!

EDIT: So, the long bay works. The others don't. Because they're offset slightly. I'll fix that now. Fixed! Can't believe it only took half an hour to fix that...

Edited by Kebab Kerman

@Kebab Kerman Just checked it out. It's a good start, but a few things you should probably fix.

1. It seems you have used pure white in the texture. This is a big nono (pure black is also a big nono), as it does not leave much room for brighter (darker) lighting. I use #bababa as a base coat for white parts.
  2. You need to turn on normal smoothing in your modeling software. Otherwise they look faceted.
  3. The length of the parts is weird. The stock equivalent parts are 1.875m, 3.75m and 7,5m I think.
  4. The parts come in lying on their side

50 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

@Kebab Kerman Just checked it out. It's a good start, but a few things you should probably fix.

1. It seems you have used pure white in the texture. This is a big nono (pure black is also a big nono), as it does not leave much room for brighter (darker) lighting. I use #bababa as a base coat for white parts.
  2. You need to turn on normal smoothing in your modeling software. Otherwise they look faceted.
  3. The length of the parts is weird. The stock equivalent parts are 1.875m, 3.75m and 7,5m I think.
  4. The parts come in lying on their side

Well, the white is from memory, I have no idea where normal smoothing is in Wings 3D, the part lengths are equal to that of the stock Mk3 cargo bays, and the parts coming on on their side is something I really don't want to fix right now, as I'm still attempting to fix the offsets that shouldn't be there.

EDIT: Fixed the white, still can't find normal smoothing anywhere, and I fixed the parts on their sides. Nope, I've given up on that one. Offset is still being worked on.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

2 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Do you mind defining what you mean by "incorporate?" At the moment most of my head is trying to figure out if these models are the right size now.

Variants can be done in many ways. Im still learning the ins and out myself.

Stock ksp 1.4+ supports a framework for it, there are also a few mods that provide texture/model switching modules for part variants in a different way. its not required by any means. but is useful to keep the editors part list to a minimum. most switching modules support both models and textures. a good example of the stock variant function is the rockomax fuel tanks

b9partswitch, interstellarfuelswitch, firesplitter are some good choices, there are a few others out there I think.

here are a few links to help.

https://github.com/blowfishpro/B9PartSwitch/wiki

Edited by Jesusthebird

Variants can be done in many ways. Im still learning the ins and out myself.

Stock ksp 1.4+ supports a framework for it, there are also a few mods that provide texture/model switching modules for part variants in a different way.

b9partswitch, interstellarfuelswitch, firesplitter are some good choices, there are a few others out there I think.

here are a few links to help.

https://github.com/blowfishpro/B9PartSwitch/wiki

Well, even though it says version 1.4.4, I'm actually in version 1.2.2, and because I use so many mods normally that the game takes literal hours to load, I won't be able to do this. Also I generally wanted to avoid doing variants anyway, because I doubt I could do it right anyway. I'm still working on the half bay's offset and trying to fix it, and also trying to fix the part rotations as well.

3 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

because I use so many mods normally that the game takes literal hours to load, I won't be able to do this.

Just copy your KSP install somewhere else and delete all the mods you don't need. There's no DRM and afaik, no legal binding against this.

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Just copy your KSP install somewhere else and delete all the mods you don't need. There's no DRM and afaik, no legal binding against this.

I...

I just...

Why have I never done this? I feel so enlightened right now...

18 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Well, even though it says version 1.4.4, I'm actually in version 1.2.2, and because I use so many mods normally that the game takes literal hours to load, I won't be able to do this. Also I generally wanted to avoid doing variants anyway, because I doubt I could do it right anyway. I'm still working on the half bay's offset and trying to fix it, and also trying to fix the part rotations as well.

Thats ok. Was just an idea and is more of a final touch detail thing. If you dont run 1.4 no worries. If you ever update to 1.3 you can try one of the mods for it. I havnt played prior to 1.3 so i dont know if the mods have the same core functions in 1.2.2 or not.

Thats ok. Was just an idea and is more of a final touch detail thing. If you dont run 1.4 no worries. If you ever update to 1.3 you can try one of the mods for it. I havnt played prior to 1.3 so i dont know if the mods have the same core functions in 1.2.2 or not.

Well, I might use the b9partswitch function for later parts, but I'm honestly not sure yet.

@Kebab Kerman checked the latest version now. The sizes are indeed correct. Seems mk3 cargobays are unusual sizes (I was testing on my dev build, where I have deleted most of the stock parts). Textures are better now.

As for you collider issues, KSP does not understand hollow colliders, you must split the colliders into multiple convex colliders. So for your parts the solid part in the bottom could be one piece, each of the side walls needs to be separate colliders, and for the curve on the top you also need several colliders. For best performance use box colliders for the walls and curve on top.

And for the issue of parts loading in on their side, it should be as simple as rotating the game object with the mesh in unity.

Nodes still need work it seems, though some of them are good.

3 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

@Kebab Kerman checked the latest version now. The sizes are indeed correct. Seems mk3 cargobays are unusual sizes (I was testing on my dev build, where I have deleted most of the stock parts). Textures are better now.

As for you collider issues, KSP does not understand hollow colliders, you must split the colliders into multiple convex colliders. So for your parts the solid part in the bottom could be one piece, each of the side walls needs to be separate colliders, and for the curve on the top you also need several colliders. For best performance use box colliders for the walls and curve on top.

And for the issue of parts loading in on their side, it should be as simple as rotating the game object with the mesh in unity.

Nodes still need work it seems, though some of them are good.

Got it. I'm only just starting, so I'm not the best at it. The colliders are made form several different parts, all combined together in Wings 3D. I'll work on it more tomorrow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.