"Kraken" a 200m long flying boat

This is just a very quick post, as the aircraft is more of a just for fun experiment, rather than a serious craft, and i don't intend to share this as i don't really see anyone using this (guess i was wrong).

This aircraft is now easily the biggest flying thing ive ever made. I was in the process of replicating a very huge Japanise concept flying boat (Kawanishi KX-03 if my memory serves me correctly) a long time ago, and felt like doing something similar in spirit to that.

I also wanted to see that just how crazy of an aircraft i could create using the magic of tweakscale.

69UJoX8.png

I was expecting that the aircraft would most likely just explode on the runway long before i can get it to takeoff, and talking of water landing/takeoff...game over man.

But, unexpectedly it actually was able to perform all of those tasks. It could definetly use some more wings and engines, but having it fly just well enough makes the thing seem a little more real, instead of a "movie-magic" powered super-plane.

JS9tlec.png

A nice little view to give you a nice sense of scale. The aircraft has to takeoff going the wrong way as the wing would hit the SPH.

Here are some picks to show that the thing does in-fact work as a sea-plane...or more like flying cargo-ship.

Spoiler

5zPCPFQ.png

Just like the Karleigh Bob class, it likes to "hover" over the water. That's due to tweakscale making part's ridiculously buoyant.

BcZs57G.png

It's actually the "hovering" that makes this thing work so well as a sea-plane. It basically removes water resistance completely, and so you'll be able to reach the same top-speed as if you where airborne.

Tough one minus side of this is the fact that it takes a LONG time for it to slow down.

XqjJyck.png

Flying instructions:

There are a couple things to note when flying this thing.

1. For whatever reason, the tire's of the nosegear's like to sink underground after some time, so pull the nose up slightly to keep them above-ground. having them underground will reduce your speed to about 2/3.

2. As stated above, the aircraft likes to fly just about, so very low-altitude flight only, and remember to pick up speed and a bit of altitude before you turn.

3. Finally, don't pull up too hard or the aircraft fill flip over and crash.

Technical specks:

Top speed: about 100m/s

Length: 203.7m

Wingspan: 265.3m

Height: 40.5m

Mass: 8,155.08 tons

Parts: 458

Mods used: Tweakscale

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/irrrgd4y94y9e1x/KFB-01 Kraken.craft?dl=0

And there you have it, a quick little experimental monster of a plane. I hope you enjoy it :).

Edited by kapteenipirk
Download link and a few tips for flying.

:o

Now that is an aircraft! Excellent job making it able to be flown, this makes my largest aircraft look like golf carts... It even dwarfs the IRL largest aircraft ever! I have 4 questions for you.

One, is that a giant fuel tank or a giant cargo bay? Two, how much does it cost in-game? Three, can we get the download link by any chance? And four, could I possibly use this in one of my mission reports? I could PM you the details about how it will be used if you are open to it.

12 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

:o

Now that is an aircraft! Excellent job making it able to be flown, this makes my largest aircraft look like golf carts... It even dwarfs the IRL largest aircraft ever! I have 4 questions for you.

One, is that a giant fuel tank or a giant cargo bay? Two, how much does it cost in-game? Three, can we get the download link by any chance? And four, could I possibly use this in one of my mission reports? I could PM you the details about how it will be used if you are open to it.

Thanks :). Yea, you know you've made something big when the easiest way of describing the size is:  Wings the size of an aircraft-carriers deck, and a fuselage the size of an oceanliner.

1. It's a large fuel-tank.

2. 10,148,620:funds:

3. Should be up in a moment with some flying instructions.

4. Feel free to use it however you see fit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.