KSP Challenge: Terminus challenge!

Darth Badie

fTjhGTkVSSzDMffFVE46XHZeJM4FcKXD2SJlQB3H

Challenge:

1) Launch a satellite to any celestial body (except Kerbin).

2)The satellite itself must consist of 3 segments:

1 Satellite itself (must have a propulsion method)

2 3 array satellites (must be equipped with a relay antennae (any))

3 Landing craft (must land on the selected celestial body (obviously))

4 Rover (must land, can be landed separately  from the lander,or  can be combined with it)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Must be completed with one launch.

2. All cheats are prohibited (F12)

3. All mods that add overpowered parts and/or cheats are also prohibited.

Thanks to @cratercracker for making this challenge possible! 

We have a special badge! 

Share your images, videos or screenshots 

4 hours ago, Darth Badie said:

2)The satellite itself must consist of 3 segments:

1 Satellite itself (must have a propulsion method)

2 3 array satellites (must be equipped with a relay antennae (any))

3 Landing craft (must land on the selected celestial body (obviously))

4 Rover (must land, can be landed separately  from the lander,or  can be combined with it)

Straight forward... I like it.  Should this read 4 segments?

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit

Yeak ok, since Minmus has to be the easiest, here is a quick and nasty entry. Completed with a stock install - no mods.

Full imgur album - https://imgur.com/a/vj85AnN

The Minmus Explorer leaving Kerbin

HBtKWeN.png

The last sat detaches from the mothership

J0BFiIp.png

The comm network from the 3 sats in a polar orbit and the mothership in an equatorial orbit.

2R1wVuU.png

The lander touches down

ajsY7fG.png

The rover detaches and uses rcs to land. Bill hops in.

HXONE2y.png

Bill testing the suspension.

ZDclmi1.png

Moho is slightly toward the other end of the scale from Minmus and to do it quickly I needed something monstrously big, really expensive, horribly un-aerodynamic and just plain ugly. This time the lander launched after depositing the rover on the surface and rendezvoused/docked with the mothership. Still using a stock install - no mods.

Bob tries to test the suspension on the rover but remains glued to the surface.

WyDqIHU.png

One of three fairly useless relay sats detaches in polar orbit.

TRScMo4.png

The lander docked with the mothership  after the trip down to the surface of Moho.

d3u8RgV.png

Imgur album - https://imgur.com/a/nt6PuCC

Here is my entry, destination Dres with an unmanned craft named Terminus. :)

https://kerbalx.com/blasty_mcblastblast/terminus

pWg7AvY.png

Spoiler

fFJoCLI.png

Lift off! 

Mx0L1QW.png

Booster separation.

ES1zCMn.png

Lower stage is detached, and the upper stage takes over.

Ix5CV8q.png

Fairing jettison once out of the atmosphere.

dq32cXA.png

The upper stage of the launcher detaches and heads back to Kerbin where it will burn up in the atmosphere.

GgxxNaf.png

The Terminus craft in all it's glory, parked in LKO awaiting a transfer window.

9XHg82J.png

By repeated skipping of 10 days in the tracking station and fiddling with manoeuvre nodes, a transfer is eventually discovered on day 385.

The departure burn necessarily took place in in the shadow of Kerbin so no pictures of suitable quality were able to be collected!

YRYuVkL.png

After arriving at Dres the three small relay satellites are deployed. They are spread evenly around a circular equatorial orbit, each with the same 6 hour period so that they stay in formation over time.

0WyFlUC.png

Next, the main satellite is detached and burns to reach a high polar orbit, providing a near continuous control link back to Kerbin.

Ft45soR.png

With communications secured, the transfer stage is ditched into the surface and the lander makes it's final approach...

H1AAxpk.png

Touchdown! the rover does a little back flip to separate from the lander, which can then safely deploy it's solar panels.

chuZp5Y.png

With everything in place, mission control declares success!

Here's the Bad-Boy sitting on the pad.

S2N9jSB.png

some mission pics in the spolier. 

Full album here: https://imgur.com/a/2MeVb6g

Spoiler

and just after lift off

ObMBDmH.png

on the way to Duna

ZTPtMyN.png

orbital burn at Duna

K5G1dOk.png

Hal's opened the cargo bay doors, showing off the three satellites and the lander/rover.

PaDxTCV.png

one of the sats is spreading its wings. There's a Dawn on it to get it to its orbit.

8cHhtQZ.png

The lander/rover starting it's reentry.

xZ9cqne.png

and almost down

qQsNf96.png

It rolls over pretty easy. But if you're careful she will wander the Dunan surface.

one way trip to duna

this is the payload without the main stage

46DE155871A579250F2A66C8F2E182B9A3D26C46

with main stage  and boosters

26E54EF579C5FDA6951C70596E2DC9996A8FD7F3

boosters de-coupled

37C93B1922EBD356DFC39BE8127484FE861C08BD

main stage and payload reach low orbit

06774567FD035F7E07D1448053140257FDAE11D3

setting PE for lower atmosphere entry to help slow down the beast

8AEFDCBF9904DC30662FD9CA910EFD3B0E8C3ADF

payload with 2nd stage waiting for interception

4372DCFCB9410D2E039AF1325B9B13CF5D88B10C

payload is detached from satellite leaving only its heat shield to slow us down, sat is then positioned to 1mil AP/PE

722E4C579B73CE4916AE6446C81C3CA9AD95D1D6

the heat shield ended up slowing me down faster than expected which was nice.

1E7E2364D089D841C98536E16E1C7B3F0467C504

separation of lander and rover

1094F5574492FBC4D081A82DE3A7D6537759C2F6

lander will use its rocket engine to land and rover will parachute. 

AC8F2C95D7C2CE7444EFF133471D8D2911B72F57

63047E39174AEA4AA6F2AE5CBD6821EAE427A0CB

lander safely touched down

1AF7CD61D37CAB9DFDD196675B30EF0F4CD6EA58

and the rover also survives

FA671DF00D879D0A232356A7FB46F4F91DD65730

well that was fun, thanks for reading. :cool:

You might have to forgive me for repeatedly doing these challenges but in the process I've learned a heck of a lot. I have around 3k hrs using mechjeb (and still a novice) but now after quite a few stock challenges I'm probably faster and certainly more efficient without it. I do miss it though. In addition, I'm using parts that I would never normally touch.

This time the target is Bop and this time all 4 sats are capable of a connection with KSC. Also the lander is self sustaining and more than capable of repeatedly landing/launching and docking with the main sat. And even though it is slow, I really like the rover I've been using. Surprisingly, the whole craft is incredibly mellow and easy to launch from Kerbin and it will probably be saved now for modification/use in future careers.

(I think that as requirements, the four relay sat connection with KSC and a self sustaining lander/launcher would have made this challenge more interesting)

HNo2ux8.png

A couple more pics

Tried with nine vectors on an engine plate under each of the S4 tanks but it wobbled like crazy even with the gimbal dialled down. Less than half the thrust but the mammoths are just perfect for the job. Smooth.

jJzvdfD.png

About to ditch the fairing

R7DpJmd.png

Circularizing

dB5o9a2.png

Setting up the transfer to Jool

MqzSt2J.png

Burning for Jool

tkaO1oz.png

Last asparagus stage decouples.

MZoCfIw.png

Mid course correction. Forgot to try for Bop intercept. Oh well, plenty of fuel left.

4bHCrs9.png

After entering Jool SOI and a 700m/s retrograde (and radial out) burn I get a Bop intercept and can set a node to change to a polar insertion

3n0ME1Y.png

In Bop's SOI a node is set for a 200/312 orbit so that the three relay sats can be released at the PE and then circularize. Hopefully all will end up equidistant in a 200km orbit.

q9QxccU.png

Burning to enter the orbit

oMSJm33.png

Releasing the first relay sat (So that's what stack separators are for - they release from both sides!)

YlPhIW5.png

A relay sat about to circularize - carrying about a hundred times more fuel than it needs

V6vzZyr.png

Freeing up the docking port on top of the main sat

WF9MVuy.png

The commnet network with all four sats having connection to KSC (oops - the main sat is behind Bop - but it has two RA-100 antennae. Might have to trust me on that one)

nBYr1Un.png

The lander uncouples from the main sat

7C4acc8.png

The lander deorbits

auD8tnq.png

Is it flat down there?

UhLmt3i.png

Nope, what about over there.

OHUFDfi.png

Flat enough - touchdown

8V1kjJp.png

The rover has been hiding in the top service module. It is detached and gently shaken from the module - somehow without it exploding this time. I practiced on the Mun and maybe it was because a couple of parts were just clipping but it was almost impossible to extricate the rover without it exploding. Fixed the clipping but I seriously don't like those service modules. And what's with staging and enabling the cutaway being mutually exclusive? Everything inside is classed as stowed and can't be used until staging and then the cutaway seals up forever.

Jzg7aqc.png

Bill takes the rover for a spin

gjFHl08.png

A small ISRU has been hiding in the bottom service module and after mining ore and converting it, all tanks are full.

omUzxsZ.png

Jettisoning the service module used to carry the rover after launching from Bop and now the lander has a docking port it can use.

s2sFaP7.png

The position of the rover seen at the LZ

T24mt1Q.png

Setting up the transfer to the main sat. (Who knew it was so easy without mj)

j7PasrV.png

After matching velocities about 300m apart, the lander burns with sas target hold then retrograde hold to within about 60m. Both craft are set to target the docking port on the other craft. Both craft are controlled from their docking port. Both craft use sas target hold. Things line up pretty good.

TEPtE3L.png

About to dock after never touching anything but the "h" and "n" keys

KieXVSZ.png

Together again. The lander still with most of it's fuel. The main sat with a full tank.

JTVGCmx.png

Edited by mystifeid

I went for a reasonably small approach, so it didn't take a huge rocket to send this mission to Duna:

It even has just a single little booster!

screenshot52.png?width=1172&height=660

many more pictures are in this spoiler:

Spoiler

screenshot55.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot56.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot60.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot61.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot63.png?width=1172&height=660

I made the transfer stage deliberately crash into Duna. we have to get rid of it anyways to expose the heatshield

screenshot62.png?width=1172&height=660

opening the bay to allow for 2 little thrusters to correct the trajectory

screenshot64.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot67.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot74.png?width=1172&height=660

after aerocapture, the fairings are deployed to expose the main satelite with its 2 smaller brothers.

screenshot81.png?width=1172&height=660

they seperate from the llander and enter a deployment orbit for a semisyncronous orbit (aloapsis 1695 km, periapsis 741 km. the satelites then circularize one by one and finally correct their orbital period to match the others perfectly)

screenshot83.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot86.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot87.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot88.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot92.png?width=1172&height=660

arent the 2 little sats cute?

screenshot93.png?width=1172&height=660

meanwhile, the lander was waiting in an elliptical parking orbit. now it's time for the landing

screenshot96.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot100.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot102.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot105.png?width=1172&height=660

the rover drives out, but doesn't have a connection. I forgot to deploy the relay antenna on the lander (it seems like the rover can't communicate with the satelites directly, oops. good thing the lander has a relay antenna.

screenshot106.png?width=1172&height=660

screenshot109.png?width=1172&height=660

delpojing it gives us a good connection

lok at that:

screenshot110.png?width=1172&height=660

Hope you liked my little mission. you can get the craftfile here: https://kerbalx.com/Physics_Student/Duna-Explorer-1

Edited by Human Person

Here's my entry for the Terminus challenge, the full Imgur album for which is here.

For this I decided to send not one, not two, by sixteen kerbals to everyones's favourite potato... Dres. Only 4 would be going to the surface though, two in a lander and another two in a separately landed rover. The remainder stayed in orbit and played cards to while away the time.

Here's the vehicle at launch.

TGwE6wG.jpg

The road to Dres.

0mjzfz8.jpg

On their way to Dres.

ehkpFv3.jpg

Arriving at the little spud.

cgAafsr.jpg

Detaching one of the four satellites the vessel carried.

uwjxEQF.jpg

Three satellites were put into the same orbit, roughly around the equator, while the fourth went into a polar(ish) orbit.

1AxEblQ.jpg

Sending down the lander.

H4SPPSD.jpg

The landing site.

R34WRvU.jpg

Crew lander and rover on the surface.

EZ4Xssj.jpg

Time to head back to orbit.

GDFHGW0.jpg

Getting the last of the crew from the lander back on the main vessel for the trip home.

8Xi3Vdi.jpg

The way home.

FBqDi6a.jpg

Almost back to Kerbin.

kaXICEd.jpg

Re-entry.

yP06cvI.jpg

Back home.

Tstkq3g.jpg

The most difficult part was putting the vehicle in an orbit of Kerbin at the end of the mission, rather than a direct re-entry, to land in the dark (wanted some nice bright pics) or skipping of the atmosphere. That took a few attempts to get right, but made it in the end.

Dres probably wasn't the best place to take a rover (first time I've done that), as the gravity is so low as to make driving around difficult, but I managed to do a circuit of the lander before taking the crew back into orbit.

Edited by purpleivan

Completed my own challenge!

Launch:

Spoiler

20haa0z.jpg n5lzc6.jpg

2nsjs4.jpg noec0n.jpg

Launch was a breeze! Everything gone as it was planned. Though at this stage there weren't a lot of things that could go wrong.

Transfer/Arrival:

Spoiler

6fupf8.jpg

This hellish thing satellite is relatively well designed with all the required sections included.

The idea to land the upper parts is simple - although there aren't any descend engines, we are going to use the main satellite's engine to get into a sub-orbital trajectory (after that the satellite returns to its normal orbit.) Then, we brake off most of the velocity by atmospheric drag. After that we deploy parachutes and kill off the rest of our velocity by RCS-thrusters and Seperatrons.

Simple, right?

2it2634.jpg

Fun fact: when i planned my interplanetary transfer, i didn't notice that my trajectory was going right through Kerbin.

Had a mini heart attack.

A tiny bit more time wiggling all buttons in the map mode and we're there. 

2rqdor7.jpg

(well, almost)

o9k8xk.jpg

Decoupling our Transfer/Insertion stage.

Welcome me, Duna! (no)

Deploying ''relay''

Spoiler

Yeah, i just don't get how does this work, so i just spam them at different orbits, while getting my periapsis lower.

o9k8xk.jpg 2libqkw.jpg

Ike fly-by

2sb76ua.jpg 2m7su2d.jpg

Aaaaaand, done!

2607cox.jpg fyfihh.jpg

yyeeeeahhhhh ''relaaaaay''....

Landing (impact)

Spoiler

Now here comes the real test of my resiliance, will and skill!

Everything before that is plank-walk before jumping into the abyss.

2yjydeu.jpg j5ywci.jpg

The atmospheric entry is fine, most of the speed is gone.

2r3xxqx.jpg 

Though i managed to deploy the chutes within a really close proximity to the surface, they still did the job, giving as the speed of 40 m/s.

2pt7bk9.jpg

SRC seems not to work.... somehow...

Here comes the cratercracker's hail mary!

28jb3g1.jpg

By the look of the parachutes, you might already think that something went wrong and you are actually right.

The seperatrons are way too overpowered, making me flip a few times and change my movement direction,also making me hit the surface harder than if i didn't use seperatrons.

After a hundred or so, attempts, i finally managed to land this thing, trading off some parts on the main lander.

2j4pnnq.jpg

Though through some stroke of luck, rover is fully operational!

2qxvngx.jpg

Actually! This thing rocks! It drives easily and nicely!

That's it for the mission! 

I totally forgot, I have a matching entry, when I first read this :D

hope it's not too late?

It's an SSTO launcher which brings a large payload into trajectory to duna without any staging, and then uses atmospheric breaking to get back to kerbin.

It also brings a little more than needed. :D

Edited by Kergarin

here the results the duna-v explorer designed to orbit a small satellite with 4  hg-5 retractable relay antennas 4 micro ion propulsion 'dawn' engines for maneuver 

the mission is to orbit around Duna and leave a deployable landing rover to Duna's surface, the rover cannot be controlled but it has seats for kerbals to drive it when they land here is the craft file used:https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxjf27hklxznr7m/vduna explorer.craft?dl=0  here some screenshots:

vduna satellite in orbit of duna(2images):

20nrl0j.jpg

IkF0zqf.jpg

vduna rover deployed in duna's surface

kqMj4Hy.jpg

vduna in transfer with rover

1Ocnpvm.jpg

vduna explorer pre-launch

6MTW2iM.jpg

I went to Eve!

Launch:

Spoiler

Ladies and gentlekerbs, I present to you, the Eve Project:

cuT8KU9.png

Into orbit:

OtZnpX4.png

The view from the Rover:

yw0XaO1.png

The relays:

Spoiler

Obligatory beauty shot of the transfer:

mMTmZqw.png

Decoupling the Relay Satellites:

(I don't have a good shot of all three relays. Just squint a little)

vVyCQpQ.png

The lander:

Spoiler

Itty bitty little lander, burning to the atmosphere:

0VbR2Lb.png

Itty bitty little lander, burning in the atmosphere:

FfAsqZm.png

Ooh, pretty!

LJfnYd0.png

Landed on Eve:

hn05QIk.png

And at this point I realized I forgot to put both solar panels and an antennae on the lander. So it's completely useless. I did fulfill the lander requirement, though.

The satellite:

Spoiler

I keep forgetting to take screenshots of the darn thing.

Technically it's also the transfer stage, but I put a probe core, solar panels, and several attennae

ib9fQUX.png

The rover:

Spoiler

Hoo boy, this gave me a LOT of trouble. Turns out that putting two of the 10m heat shields really messes with the aerodynamics.

wjbNGyo.png

Ran into an interesting glitch. I had to reload:

AsiynH2.png

Jettisoned the heat shields and they didn't go anywhere, so the rover surfed its way down. And crashed. I had to reload:

wn3oHWE.png

Jettisoned the heat shields, and they knocked off all the parachutes. I had to reload:

o1rLJ9U.png

This one went well. I jettisoned the heat shields, and they didn't collide with the rover! I decided to quicksave in the atmosphere, and floated my way down to the surface.

WgmSGIw.png

However, I got impatient and used time warp to speed things up. So I crashed. And reloaded...and the rover instantly exploded. (Sigh)

My last try. This time I only activated one heatshield. It worked! And I got a light show to go along with it:

71xp6Ee.png

Wheeeeeee! I learned my lesson, no time warp this time:

F8JBbnP.png

Oh look, I'm coming down on the ocean this time:

qRM8LjB.png

Well, drat:

Pl0U2Ot.png

But I landed my rover!

It just can't rove anywhere. :mad:

Edited by Mjp1050

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.