Looking for Mod: Tone down reentry effects

ebigunso

So, is there any mod that tones down the reentry effect's starting conditions, so I don't get fiery launches but still get fiery reentries?

It just doesn't look right to have flames showing on screen while not having any heat issues on the craft at all.

18 hours ago, ebigunso said:

So, is there any mod that tones down the reentry effect's starting conditions, so I don't get fiery launches but still get fiery reentries?

It just doesn't look right to have flames showing on screen while not having any heat issues on the craft at all.

@aeroFXStartThermalFX = 4 //2.5 // Speed in mach when aeroFX starts changing from white to orange
@aeroFXFullThermalFX = 6 //3.75 // Speed in mach when aeroFX is fully orange

Maybe this? Mess with those numbers as needed. 

14 minutes ago, ebigunso said:

@Nightside Ohhhh, thanks. That looks promising. Which file should I look in to find that entry?

Sorry, that was a little brief. 

Those two lines come from the physics.cfg file (in the first few lines). You can alter them manually, or if you have module manager installed you can copy/past my lines above into a config file in your GameData folder.

Let me know if it gets the results you are after.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 11:10 PM, lajoswinkler said:

If you have plasma forming on your launches, you're going too fast and too shallow.

That advice is incorrect for KSP versions after 1.0
Since the aerodynamics have been remodeled after that, terminal velocity easily exceeds 1400m/s once your altitude is above 10km. The most efficient launching profiles in KSP actually involve a lot of plasma effects.

11 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

That advice is incorrect for KSP versions after 1.0
Since the aerodynamics have been remodeled after that, terminal velocity easily exceeds 1400m/s once your altitude is above 10km. The most efficient launching profiles in KSP actually involve a lot of plasma effects.

Oh. I thought I was just suddenly very sucky at launching things. Good to know. :lol:

38 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Another alternative would be to increase reentry heating in the difficulty menu. I usually do this just for more “boom-boom”.

On the contrary, that would increase the plasma formation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.