It would be AWESOME if we had to design aerodynamic rockets. Of course this could be turned on an off (similarly to reentry heating) but I would like it if instead of a rocket flipping our of control it instead started experiencing pogo and vibrating Maby even a vibration gauge similar to the G-Force gauge. Of it gets to high the parts producing the most drag will fall off first and then if it gets really bad the rocket will explode with all the parts separating and 0.5 seconds later exploding with them all emitting a trail (like from a rocket engine). Eccentially something like this. This would add a level of immersion into the game. If your thing is big boosters a MOAR engines, turn it off. If you want to have to design an aerodynamic rocket turn it on and do your job as a Kerbal should! 

P.S.

I know vibrations did not cause this explosion. I also kno that the kraken simulates this but that can be caused with a lack of struts. I'm looking specially at a perfectly good rocket on a structal level failing because of a misplaced fuel tank  

I should have mentioned...

When I say every part breaks up I'm referring to Tanks and engines boosters and all exposed utility parts (excluding parachutes). This would make everything except the crew capsule break. So your Kerbals would still be safe unless you did something wrong.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

Easiest way to replicate pogo oscillations in my experience is to just leave everything unstrutted and leave the physics to do it's magic and suddenly you've got a very shakey, wobbley rocket.

The problem with that though is that I use fairings for interstages

3 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

The problem with that though is that I use fairings for interstages

So do I, and often if I leave the upper stage unstrutted, I'll end up with it flexing, even risking flipping the rocket 180 in flight.

3 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

We have pogo... I think. 

Rocket compresses and bounces around right? yeah that happens, just turn off autostrut

Not really it can be affected by a lack of struts. I mean after thenrocket starts to bend to a certain point Maby 4* at most from its launch form it will explode at the joint. Also nodes need to be stronger if I attach something to a node I do not want to have to strut it.

If they're going to add this they'd need to add fuel slosh and ullage mechanics to complete the realism. Maximum fuel flow rate dependant on how effectively the engine turbo-pumps are primed. Which would be cool. While they're at it, different fuel types, etc.

Pogo has nothing to do with aerodynamics. As mentioned in the comment above it's caused by fuel sloshing, which causes changes in fuel pressure at the bottom of the tank, in the fuel feed system and finally in the thrust of the engine, creating a positive feedback loop.

While I'm all for it (and everything that would make designing rocket more advanced than slapping an engine under a bunch of fuel tanks) it requires a lot of new mechanics to be implemented properly: fuel dynamics (means getting rid of the Lego fuel tanks), stress or bending within a part (currently stress and strain are only applied at joints), pressure dependency for engines and fuel systems, damping, parts breakup... All of which would make everything more complicated and significantly increase computations done each frame. I don't think even Orbiter simulates all of these.

Harder aerodynamics already exist in FAR (don't expect your rocket to survive a flip) but I'm not sure it is very good with turbulences.

Edited by Gaarst

10 hours ago, Gaarst said:

Pogo has nothing to do with aerodynamics. As mentioned in the comment above it's caused by fuel sloshing, which causes changes in fuel pressure at the bottom of the tank, in the fuel feed system and finally in the thrust of the engine, creating a positive feedback loop.

While I'm all for it (and everything that would make designing rocket more advanced than slapping an engine under a bunch of fuel tanks) it requires a lot of new mechanics to be implemented properly: fuel dynamics (means getting rid of the Lego fuel tanks), stress or bending within a part (currently stress and strain are only applied at joints), pressure dependency for engines and fuel systems, damping, parts breakup... All of which would make everything more complicated and significantly increase computations done each frame. I don't think even Orbiter simulates all of these.

Harder aerodynamics already exist in FAR (don't expect your rocket to survive a flip) but I'm not sure it is very good with turbulences.

Fair enough. I just think that some form of making the rockets have to be better designed would be good but also the ability to turn it off

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.