[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

Guest The Doodling Astronaut

Quick question from a newbie on RSS

Is this how these systems are supposed to look?

screenshot2850

screenshot2848

screenshot2849

Every other system is fine, these ones just look a little... off....

If it's how it's supposed to be then ok, but if it's a bug of some sorts i'll send a proper report with a log...

2 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It looks good to me.  If what's throwing you off is the inclined orbits, AFAIK it's due to being unable to axially tilt Earth and the other planets, so the creators tilted the orbits instead.

19 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Quick question from a newbie on RSS

screenshot2850

screenshot2848

screenshot2849

Every other system is fine, these ones just look a little... off....

If it's how it's supposed to be then ok, but if it's a bug of some sorts i'll send a proper report with a log...

Yes. Since you can't tilt the orbit of home planet, they tilted the entire solar system. You can install principia which deals with it in a more elegant way. But that will also make the game a lot different. 

On 12/24/2021 at 11:26 AM, Christo said:

Hello

I have a problem with this mod : 
When I choose "training", in all the choice, my space ship is exploding and I see a 'ground' with appear.
Thank You for your help

mmccc34

Are you trying to play the stock tutorials in RSS? Because they won’t work.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, serg1983 said:

Hello!!!does anyone know how to make the moon seem big from the earth, be bright and illuminate the earth at night?now it looks barely noticeable , very small and not realistic

Hold alt and scroll up (or down, IDK) on the mouse wheel to decrease the FoV.

Hi @Theysen

I wrote a patch that add SpaceDust resource config to real solar system, so you can harvest atmospheric resource using Far Future Technology from Nertea. I’m not sure where should I post this topic. I wonder if I could post my configs in this thread?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anlnec-q1Uv7gQ4Pr0ZODsLC2Fg9

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anlnec-q1Uv7gQ0XnInD7yRRmOQg

8 hours ago, boraklcequinox said:

Umm ım having a problem with textures with this mod.Uranus's moons.Some of their textures dont load.

Here some pics:https://imgur.com/a/lEJaUCz

I think that’s meant to be like that? It’s not like we have lots of high-definition images of the Uranian moons to work with, since it’s been visited by a total of one probe and that was hurtling through on course for Neptune so didn’t have much time to take pictures, and used a camera from the 70s.

5 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I think that’s meant to be like that? It’s not like we have lots of high-definition images of the Uranian moons to work with, since it’s been visited by a total of one probe and that was hurtling through on course for Neptune so didn’t have much time to take pictures, and used a camera from the 70s.

I hope NASA sends probes to all the gas giants' moons ASAP. Not because of science, but because we need 4k textures for KSP.

Hey, does anyone know how the inclinations for the planets are calculated? In game, Io has a given inclination of 25.46. Subtracting Earth's axial tilt of 23.44 gets you an inclination of ~2.01. However, Wikipedia lists its inclination as 0.05 (0.04 from JPL) to Jupiter's equator, and 2.213 to the ecliptic. I can't reconcile how the in-game number's are calculated. Any help?

I'd like to make a fork of this: https://github.com/AR3S-Vega/RealExpansion/releases and fix the inclinations to work with current RSS.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:20 PM, mateusviccari said:

I hope NASA sends probes to all the gas giants' moons ASAP. Not because of science, but because we need 4k textures for KSP.

Yeah, after looking at all the Juno pictures I wish somebody would implement that level of quality into KSP RSS.

Speaking of which... there was the Cassini probe. We have excellent data on Saturn too!

Imagine an updated Saturn and Jupiter in RSS! Somebody with the skills should just go ahead and do it.

I don't know if this is a Kopernicus or EVE or RSS thing, but it has to do with all three. How could I put city lights on the moon, or Mars? Since RSS scales the stock system, would this change anything about how EVE generates city lights? If this has been done before, how is it possible?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do planets have biomes in this mod? How many?

I am exploring the feasibility of doing life support with local resources; if there's only one biome per planet, then it's unlikely to have all the necessary resources in it, while multiple biomes give a good chance that one of them will have everything

35 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Do planets have biomes in this mod? How many?

Yes, lots. Venus is one of the sparsest rocky bodies and it still has 8. 

The more explored bodies (Moon, Mars,... Pluto/Charon!) have many named biomes (up to 20ish).  Unexplored places like Triton [3 biomes] or tiny moons like Deimos [3] may only have a few.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 7:57 AM, BM1296 said:

Hey, does anyone know how the inclinations for the planets are calculated? In game, Io has a given inclination of 25.46. Subtracting Earth's axial tilt of 23.44 gets you an inclination of ~2.01. However, Wikipedia lists its inclination as 0.05 (0.04 from JPL) to Jupiter's equator, and 2.213 to the ecliptic. I can't reconcile how the in-game number's are calculated. Any help?

I'd like to make a fork of this: https://github.com/AR3S-Vega/RealExpansion/releases and fix the inclinations to work with current RSS.

I don't know exactly how they are calculated, but certainly summing them up is not a good way. just because two planets have similar inclinations compared to the ecliptic, it does not mean that they are in the same plane.

Take, for example, the bar \. This bar has a 60° inclination over the horizontal line. / also have 60° inclination, but it's on a very different plane from the other bar. So, just subtracting earth axial tilt won't help. the calculation will certainly involve other orbital parameters like longitude of the ascending node, but i don't know the actual formulas

A couple of questions:

1) I am building a mars lander, and I'm having a hard time dealing with the atmosphere. basically, i would like to use atmosphere to brake most of the way, hanging gently from a parachute and using rockets only in the last stage. like it's usually done for duna. like we do in real life when dropping rovers on mars.

but i can't do that, because the pressure is too low for ksp parachutes. they do open up around 10 km altitude; unfortunately, most of the ground itself is at 10 km altitude - i did a bit of random scouting by alt-f12 a rover in multiple places, mostly in the northern emisphere because i know it's got a lower altitude all around, and I could find nothing lower than 7 km. so, parachutes open up just a few hundred meters before the impact, and they don't do any good. I did use some inflatable thermal shields as parachutes, and they help, but they aren't good enough.

is there a way to get parachutes on mars to deploy on time?

2) is there a resource to calculate transfer windows, like the alexmoon tool?

will the alexmoon tool work if I set into it the orbital parameters, or the changed gravity of ksp stock universe is going to throw that in disarray?

On 3/19/2022 at 3:37 PM, king of nowhere said:

A couple of questions:

1) I am building a mars lander, and I'm having a hard time dealing with the atmosphere. basically, i would like to use atmosphere to brake most of the way, hanging gently from a parachute and using rockets only in the last stage. like it's usually done for duna. like we do in real life when dropping rovers on mars.

but i can't do that, because the pressure is too low for ksp parachutes. they do open up around 10 km altitude; unfortunately, most of the ground itself is at 10 km altitude - i did a bit of random scouting by alt-f12 a rover in multiple places, mostly in the northern emisphere because i know it's got a lower altitude all around, and I could find nothing lower than 7 km. so, parachutes open up just a few hundred meters before the impact, and they don't do any good. I did use some inflatable thermal shields as parachutes, and they help, but they aren't good enough.

is there a way to get parachutes on mars to deploy on time?

2) is there a resource to calculate transfer windows, like the alexmoon tool?

will the alexmoon tool work if I set into it the orbital parameters, or the changed gravity of ksp stock universe is going to throw that in disarray?

Use RealChutes mod to play RSS. But anyway, if you have a heavy lander, there's no way to decelerate only with atmosphere, since Mars' atmosphere is only 1% of Earth's, so the solution is, add more fuel and start retro burning when you reach a safe distance to open the parachutes, then descent using parachutes only until you reach the point of landing burn.

You can calculate transfer windows with the mod transfer window planner, works fine with RSS.

1 hour ago, mateusviccari said:

Use RealChutes mod to play RSS. But anyway, if you have a heavy lander, there's no way to decelerate only with atmosphere, since Mars' atmosphere is only 1% of Earth's, so the solution is, add more fuel and start retro burning when you reach a safe distance to open the parachutes, then descent using parachutes only until you reach the point of landing burn.

yes, i figured that out early. problem is, if i want to make good use of the atmosphere, i must start retroburning quite late. and my engines are then not enough to stop in time. unless i add more fuel and more engines, but that increases the mass of the ship and makes the atmosphere even less effective at braking.  my lander is already rather heavy, because i want to send kerbals on the surface with a small rover, and have most of that be reusable, and kerbalism forces me to add life support and to put redundancies, all extra weight. i was trying to be more efficient.

well, i couldn't. i had to add 40 more tons to the lander to get six "parachutes" (inflatable thermal shields used as such), more fuel and more engines to provide enough twr.

15 hours ago, sir rocket said:

This looks like it would be a great mod, but my computer cant run the rest of the realism mods. Will there ever be a version scaled down by 10 so you can use stock parts? Thanks, not pushing though.

I think you're looking for Kerbal Sized Real Solar System, KSRSS.  Also, you definitely can use stock parts in RSS, just it's significantly more difficult than the stock system.