[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

On 3/29/2022 at 7:48 PM, sir rocket said:

This looks like it would be a great mod, but my computer cant run the rest of the realism mods. Will there ever be a version scaled down by 10 so you can use stock parts? Thanks, not pushing though.

If you decide that you want to give the real scale version of RSS a try, I've made a very slimmed down config that rebalances the stock parts to work with it.  It changes part masses, propellant densities, and a few other things so you can build realistically sized rockets at real scale using stock parts.  You don't need all the realism mods, so it's very easy on your computer.  I made it originally for a 10x version of JNSQ, but it should with any real scale planet pack.  If you want to give it a try, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro5zb12tszg905r/PartRebalancer10x.zip?dl=0

(edit)  I also recommend using BetterSRBs  in combination with the part rebalancer, though it's not needed.

Edited by OhioBob

I have a problem with engine.
The thrust of engine becomes low from around 2000m, and the thrust continues to be insufficient until it exceeds 25000m. (Almost no acceleration) When it exceeds 25000m, it returns to the original thrust.

I'm using RSS.
Can anyone help me?

10 hours ago, Taaaa said:

The thrust of engine becomes low from around 2000m, and the thrust continues to be insufficient until it exceeds 25000m. (Almost no acceleration) When it exceeds 25000m, it returns to the original thrust.

I'm using RSS.
Can anyone help me?

This is really odd. Which mods are you using? 

On 4/7/2022 at 7:49 AM, Taaaa said:

I'm using RSS.
Can anyone help me?

It sounds like the "Limit Q" in MechJeb's ascent guidance  is turned on and set too low.

I'm on macOS Big Sur and running KSP 1.12.3 
I tried downloading and running RSS along with the hard dependencies but facing problems with Kopernicus 1.12-87 and RSS Textures 4K - I got these error messages

https://imgur.com/oXwuUEQ

https://imgur.com/Gwttj4A

Can anyone help me figure this out? I'm new to modding so idk if I did something wrong or if there's an issue with Kopernicus.

Edited by agarm
not enough info

Looks like you either installed the RSS-Texture wrong or not at all. Normally I would suggest using CKAN for installing RSS but it's lacking a graphical UI on Macs. Up to you if you want to try the manual approach again or use CKAN to make sure it gets installed correctly.

Weird bug in tracking station, whenever i select a ship or probe the icon disappears and only the line remains. Can only see icons again when i leave and go back in.

Running only recommended mods for the Rp1/RSS/RO install on 1.12.3

Hi! I found RSS used !Body,* {} in RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg to remove stock system. However, it will remove all the celestial bodies loaded before RSS including celestial bodies in other planet mod, making it incompatible with many other planet mods. Removing stock bodies one by one could fix this issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1adrxzfoEp80BNjBmEuUTGW3Pido9-hIK/view?usp=sharing.

Could you update the config in the next release? As a planet modder, I would really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, Jason Kerman said:

Hi! I found RSS used !Body,* {} in RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg to remove stock system. However, it will remove all the celestial bodies loaded before RSS including celestial bodies in other planet mod, making it incompatible with many other planet mods. Removing stock bodies one by one could fix this issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1adrxzfoEp80BNjBmEuUTGW3Pido9-hIK/view?usp=sharing.

Could you update the config in the next release? As a planet modder, I would really appreciate it!

Use :AFTER[RealSolarSystem] as the ModuleManager pass if you want to add or modify the planets.

2 hours ago, siimav said:

Use :AFTER[RealSolarSystem] as the ModuleManager pass if you want to add or modify the planets.

Thank you but I don't think it's a good solution. Because if I use :AFTER[RealSolarSystem], MM will remove my mod config when RSS is not installed, which is not what I want because my planet mod is not made with RSS only.

Edited by Jason Kerman

3 hours ago, Jason Kerman said:

Thank you but I don't think it's a good solution. Because if I use :AFTER[RealSolarSystem], MM will remove my mod config when RSS is not installed, which is not what I want because my planet mod is not made with RSS only.

You could use :FOR[zKcalbeloh] in your mod to make your configs run after that RSS global wipe while not adding any dependency since MM executes FOR passes in alphabetic order.

• 3 weeks later...

I need a bit of help.

Playing RSS and wanting to send 10t+ to LEO. I want to use something similar to falcon 9 without SRBs or asparagusing.

Falcon 9 is 70m x 3.6m so I try to replicate a similar fuel tank sizes, but whatever I do I end up at or below 8k delta-v.

Falcon 9 is capable of lifting 22t to LEO as per wikipedia so I assume I must be doing something wrong.

Can anybody kindly point me to a configuration that can achieve 10t+ without SRBs ?

Many thanks

7 hours ago, Cagz said:

I need a bit of help.

(snip)

Are you using Realism Overhaul or some other part rebalancer.  Because if not, stock parts are way too heavy for RSS.  You need to do something to rebalance the parts for real scale.

If you are not currently using anything, below is a very simple rebalancer that I made.  It's nothing like Realism Overhaul, but it is a way to get started and should let you get to orbit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro5zb12tszg905r/PartRebalancer10x.zip?dl=0

Edited by OhioBob

I have encountered a strange problem here, my science report in RSS is all gone, as in restored to default.

I am using KSP 1.12.3 with RSS from CKAN and no other mod. The content from scienceDef.cfg did not take any effect at all. 

Anyone else have this same problem?

22 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

Will RSS have its own Parallax textures in the future? Right now it's using the stock system textures which are nice, but I think unique ones for RSS would be cool.

Highly unlikely since there are no artists on the team.

• 1 month later...

Is there any list of anomalies/easter eggs for this mod?

At first I assumed there wouldn't be any. then i found two on vesta, a green monolith and a snowman. then I assumed there would be two on every planet, but when i came back to look, i found no anomalies anywhere on mercury, venus and the moon

5 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

At first I assumed there wouldn't be any. then i found two on vesta, a green monolith and a snowman. then I assumed there would be two on every planet, but when i came back to look, i found no anomalies anywhere on mercury, venus and the moon

It looks like some celestial bodies are inheriting anomalies from their template, while others have had their anomalies removed.  Anomalies are placed using a mod called PQSCity.  If you look in Mercury's config (RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus/Mercury/Mercury.cfg) you'll see that it uses a Mun template and under removePQMods the mod PQSCity is listed.  This is going to remove the anomalies from the template, and hence from Mercury.  Vesta, on the other hand, uses a Eeloo template with no PQS modes removed.  Since the mod that adds the anomalies hasn't been removed, Vesta will have Eeloo's anomalies.

If you want to know which bodies will have anomalies and which ones won't, just look in the body configs to see if PQSCity has been removed.  But those bodies that have anomalies will just have the same ones as the template.  For instance, Ceres also uses an Eeloo template with no mods removed, so it will also inherit Eeloo's anomalies.  But this means Ceres and Vesta will both have the same anomalies.

Edited by OhioBob

• 2 weeks later...

Found a bug: with Principia, the rings of Uranus are at the wrong inclinations compared to its moons.

ziwAG0y.png

EDIT: I have been informed that the rings are not from RSS. As far as I can tell they're from Zilti's RSSExpanded, and because of that I'm not sure at all how to find out about getting the rings fixed.

Edited by septemberWaves

Hello, I installed the real solar system and realism overhaul mods with ckan and I noticed that the axis of rotation of Jupiter is not at all at the right inclination, what is causing this problem? Is there a way to fix this? (previously I always installed real solar system and realism overhaul with ckan and I never had a problem like that)

Thank you !