[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

On 7/28/2022 at 7:05 PM, yomahabaca said:

Hello, I installed the real solar system and realism overhaul mods with ckan and I noticed that the axis of rotation of Jupiter is not at all at the right inclination, what is causing this problem? Is there a way to fix this? (previously I always installed real solar system and realism overhaul with ckan and I never had a problem like that)

Axial tilt is not possible in KSP.  But while the axes can't be tilted, the orbits can.  So what RSS does to give Earth's axis a ~23.5-degree tilt relative to its orbit is to incline the entire ecliptic.  This gives Earth the correct tilt, but it also gives all the other planets approximately the same tilt as Earth.  This is just a limitation of KSP and there is nothing that can be done about it.  It's possible to give any one planet the correct tilt, but then all the others are wrong.  In RSS, Earth is the correct one, which obviously makes the most sense.

I see that there are new versions to all the RSS dependencies, anyone know the latest stable setup for RSS in KSP v1.12.3?

RSS v19.0.2.0
RSS Textures v18.3
Kopernicus 1.12.1-138 ?
RSSDateTime v1.12.1 ?
KSCSwitcher 2.1.0.0 ?|

It seems to work...

Edited by Jimbodiah

On 8/6/2022 at 10:10 AM, XwingKerbal said:

The real solar system visual enhancements mod seems to be broken. I tried downloading it manually, but it said it was incompatible with the game.

You must get the specific versions of EVE and scatterer as listed here, or else you will find weird bugs. I'm running it on KSP 1.12.3 and it works just fine.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:48 PM, Jimbodiah said:

I see that there are new versions to all the RSS dependencies, anyone know the latest stable setup for RSS in KSP v1.12.3?

RSS v19.0.2.0
RSS Textures v18.3
Kopernicus 1.12.1-138 ?
RSSDateTime v1.12.1 ?
KSCSwitcher 2.1.0.0 ?|

It seems to work...

Latest RSS and its textures, Kop 1.12.1-138 is the current stable setup. There was a release today, so you might want to update - it fixes a bunch of bugs. you'll also need KSPCommunityFixes now - this should be installed automatically through CKAN.

RSSDateTime and KSCSwitcher should be latest, but don't massively affect things.

On 1/22/2022 at 9:31 AM, Dafni said:

Yeah, after looking at all the Juno pictures I wish somebody would implement that level of quality into KSP RSS.

Speaking of which... there was the Cassini probe. We have excellent data on Saturn too!

Imagine an updated Saturn and Jupiter in RSS! Somebody with the skills should just go ahead and do it.

If you know of a source for good quality surface maps for those moons please link it.

Just now, thepres1s_Stuff said:

I have an issue, whenever I try to install RSS from CKAN, and load up the game, it doesn't work, even if it is supported on the latest game version. It just says that Kopernicus couldn't load the planetary system and if I load up a save, it would corrupt it. Please fix this!

I'm playing the last version of  KSP using the most updated RSS and Kopernicus. Can you show what's in your GameData?

15 hours ago, mateusviccari said:

Changing the subject, did anyone find a way to make the water in RSS less "bumpy"? A splashed down  capsule behaves like it's in the middle of a class 5 hurricane haha

As far as I can tell, it depends on the part impacting the water somewhat.  I had some problems with FFT's tokamak aerospikes, but normal wing connectors didn't have the problem.  Now that I think about it though, disabling Scatterer's dynamic water collisions might change it.

On 8/14/2022 at 8:04 PM, Flibble said:

100% sure, I wrote the netkan file myself.

I've been playing without it since I posted that question, no issues. I don't use ckan.

All the config options being hidden under sub-menus drove me nuts.