[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

FYI for those having loading problems following RSS install from CKAN. It automatically installs the latest version of Parallax (2.0.4), which is not compatible with current RSS. Solution is to download and install Parallax 1.3.1 along with the Parallax Stock Textures for that version.

Can someone tell me which program is being used to create the EarthHeight.dds heightmap texture? I've tried Gimp, NVIDIA Texture Tools and PhotoShop plugin, XnViewMP and several other DDS editing tools, but to no avail. The reason is, I have my own Earth heightmap that came up with for a previous KSP version and the dds no longer works. My understanding, is that the heightmaps need to be DXT1 or L8 format, but nothing I try works properly.

Thus, I would like to know which tools are being used to generate the RSS- Textures heightmaps and what format is required?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Observe said:

Can someone tell me which program is being used to create the EarthHeight.dds heightmap texture? I've tried Gimp, NVIDIA Texture Tools and PhotoShop plugin, XnViewMP and several other DDS editing tools, but to no avail. The reason is, I have my own Earth heightmap that came up with for a previous KSP version and the dds no longer works. My understanding, is that the heightmaps need to be DXT1 or L8 format, but nothing I try works properly.

Thus, I would like to know which tools are being used to generate the RSS- Textures heightmaps and what format is required?

Thanks.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/tree/master/tools/TopoConv

On 10/18/2022 at 5:06 AM, siimav said:

Thank you! That appears to have the information I needed. The stumbling block for me, was not knowing how to create the 16 bit VertexHeightMapRSS dds files and in what way VertexHeightMapRSS differs from the standard VertexHeightMap. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, CalvonVulcan said:

does rss support parallax 2.0?

Not yet.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Russekof71 said:

Hello, I wanted to know how is it possible to change the SOI of the Earth to be able to make an orbit that lasts 365 days? Of course without using Principia.

A 365-day orbit around Earth would require a semimajor axis of about 2,157,400 km.  So the SOI would have to be greater than that.  You should be able to change it with a patch like this:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			%sphereOfInfluence = 2200000000
		}
	}
}

On 11/7/2022 at 5:31 PM, OhioBob said:

A 365-day orbit around Earth would require a semimajor axis of about 2,157,400 km.  So the SOI would have to be greater than that.  You should be able to change it with a patch like this:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@Properties
		{
			%sphereOfInfluence = 2200000000
		}
	}
}

Thank you, where should I put the patch please?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 1:18 AM, GP_LeChuck said:

Hmm that does sound a bit outside my ability range (although if anyone is familiar with any tutorials, I'd love to hear it!). I assume that this is the reason Kerbnet scans don't work either?

Kerbnet doesn't work with a clean install of only the latest RSS, is this on purpose? I want to see where the highest ore concentrations are to refuel

I was considering a sea circumnavigation of Earth:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/202743-the-elcano-challenge-ground-based-circumnavigation-4th/page/14/#comment-4207214

However, the Suez and Panama Canals don't exist, which poses a bit of a problem. Looking back through the thread it seems one can use Kerbal Konstructs (but surely not for a 200km canal), or presumably I could meddle with the input data to TopoConv (although it's not immediately obvious to me what that input data _is_). I appreciate even at 16k the resolution on the heightmaps is not huge; I don't want to make a gorgeous model, just to carve a channel along the approximate route of the canals so I can sail a boat through it.

On 10/16/2022 at 6:36 AM, Observe said:

FYI for those having loading problems following RSS install from CKAN. It automatically installs the latest version of Parallax (2.0.4), which is not compatible with current RSS. Solution is to download and install Parallax 1.3.1 along with the Parallax Stock Textures for that version.

you deserve a goddamn promotion for saving my a

On 4/2/2018 at 10:26 PM, Theysen said:

MOD INSTALLATION - RealSolarSystem is best installed fully supported via CKAN - just search for Real Solar System and choose your resolution!

Please be so kind as to not tell me what the best way to install your awesome addon is. I'm also not telling you to stick CKAN where the sun don't shine.

Can I ask for a classic download link?

Edited by RiCZrd

27 minutes ago, RiCZrd said:

Please be so kind as to not tell me what the best way to install your awesome addon is. I'm also not telling you to stick CKAN where the sun don't shine.

Can I ask for a classic download link?

The netkan file contains a download link, suggest you consult that. There's also valuable metadata there to indicate what else to install - texture packs, optional mods to go with it, and so forth. If you are feeling keen you could write a program that processes that data and does the installs automatically.

Edited by damerell

I have a slight issue with RSS. This is an issue regarding the same problem that was described in this github issue post https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/issues/167.
All mods are installed through CKAN and below is the way I managed to replicate on my end it is as followed:

- Clean install of KSP 1.12.4.
- Start up KSP and close it after it is done loading into the main menu.
- Install the latest version of MM
- Start up KSP and close it after it is done loading into the main menu.
- Install the latest version of RSS, 16K RSS Textures and it's dependencies.
- Start up KSP, once done loading go into the graphics settings and set textures to RSS_High.
So far so good and ksp recognizes the above mentioned available texture for RSS. Now after this is where it gets wonky.
Whether I install PRVE with it's dependencies scatterer and EVE, OR if I install Scatterer and/or EVE separately from PRVE, ksp no longer recognizes the RSS_High texture setting according to the KSP.log.

[WRN 00:27:28.116] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'KerbinOcean'

Would it be wise if the above mentioned github issue is reopened, or should I make a new one?

25 minutes ago, Pointblank66 said:

I have a slight issue with RSS. This is an issue regarding the same problem that was described in this github issue post https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/issues/167.
All mods are installed through CKAN and below is the way I managed to replicate on my end it is as followed:

<snip>

Try this...

1)  Locate and open the file RealSolarSystem/RSS_TerrainDetailPresets.cfg

2)  Add the following to the list of presets:

PLANET
        {
            name = KerbinOcean
            minDistance = 8
            minSubdivision = 1
            maxSubdivision = 7
        }

3)  Save the file

4)  Find and delete the file [KSP Folder]/settings.cfg

5)  Relaunch KSP

6)  Enter Settings and reselect your settings - set textures to RSS_High

Edited by OhioBob

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

Try this...

1)  Locate and open the file RealSolarSystem/RSS_TerrainDetailPresets.cfg

2)  Add the following to the list of presets:

PLANET
        {
            name = KerbinOcean
            minDistance = 8
            minSubdivision = 1
            maxSubdivision = 7
        }

3)  Save the file

4)  Find and delete the file [KSP Folder]/settings.cfg

5)  Relaunch KSP

6)  Enter Settings and reselect your settings - set textures to RSS_High

Thanks you! That mostly did fix the terrain texture issue. Had to redo the 4th step tho after installing PRVE.
One thing that I also now noticed is an error coming from EVE-Redux. Something like this

[WRN 02:24:52.829] Cannot find preset 'RSS_High' for pqs 'EVE PQS'
[LOG 02:24:52.843] [EVE CloudsManager]: Cannot find Jupiter to apply to main Menu!
[LOG 02:24:52.843] [EVE CloudsManager]: No PQS! Instanciating one.
[LOG 02:24:52.843] [EVE CloudsManager]: PQS Applied
[LOG 02:24:52.843] [EVE CloudsManager]: Applying 2D clouds...
[LOG 02:24:52.858] [EVE CloudsManager]: Clouds2D is now SCALED
[LOG 02:24:52.859] [EVE CloudsManager]: CloudsPQS: (EVE Clouds: JupiterStorm) OnSphereInactive
[LOG 02:24:52.859] [EVE CloudsManager]: Clouds2D is now SCALED

and I get that with all the planets in RSS, not just Jupiter.
Visually in game I can't really see any issue.

Is this something I need to post on the EVE-Redux forum thread or the PRVE forum thread?

Edited by Pointblank66