[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

R E A L    S O L A R    S Y S T E M

License: CC-BY-NC-SA

sNjTCrw.png

Intention: 
This mod aims to transform the Kerbol System into the real solar system which we live in and conduct realistic space exploration. The orbits are accurately tuned to resemble the real life counterpart planets and also feature their visual characteristics by applying the correct textures onto the celestial bodies. The default launch site is shifted to Kennedy Space Center, Florida. It is also highly encouraged to install the companion mod KSCSwitcher to get access to most known real life launchsites. The complete installation and mod recommendations are listed below.

The orbital lines of all included bodies by Real Solar System:
4EmMp3X.png

As of the current version the following bodies are fully implemented to explore (from inner to outer solar system):
The Sun - Mercury - Venus - Earth | Moon - Mars | Deimos, Phobos - Vesta - Ceres - Jupiter | Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto - Saturn | Mimas, Enceladus, Tethys, Dione, Rhea, Titan, Iapetus - Uranus | Miranda, Ariel, Umbriel, Titania, Oberon - Neptune | Triton - Pluto / Charon

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This mod is the result of a great group effort and wouldn't exist without the help of the following contributors to its creation:
NathanKell, asmi, ferram, ZRM, yargnit, MedievalNerd, regex, SpaceInvader, pingopete, KillAshley, stratochief, Grayduster, Thomas P., Majir, Starstrider42, eggrobin, Felger, PhineasFreak, rsparkyc, Sigma88, Kerbas-ad-astra, tom-stone-yudu, Starwaster, pap1723, leudaimon, Agathorn, raidernick, HoneyFox, miki-G, aw1621107, Niemand303, SirKeplan, ppboyle, TriggerAU, pjf, Einkleinermensch, Ascraeus1, peppie23, vosechu, Valerian, CitizenVeen, dgeastman, BevoLJ, ThreePounds, ec429, Benew, Olympic1

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MOD INSTALLATION - RealSolarSystem is best installed fully supported via CKAN - just search for Real Solar System and choose your resolution!

COMPANION MOD SUGGESTIONS

• RealSolarSystemVisualEnhancements by the RO team for visual enhancements as seen in the screenshots in this post. Refer to his Wiki for installation guide and information.
  • RealismOverhaul for the real deal in Kerbal Space Program and especially tailored for RealSolarSystem. This mod changes almost everything in the game to real life counterparts and mechanics.
  • Principia - get real n-body physics fully configured for RealSolarSystem and take your experience one step further.
  • EarlyBird by taniwha fixes the 'WarpToNextMorning' in tilted planetary systems so you always end up 5 minutes before sunrise.

FOR ISSUES AND ERROR REPORTING READ THIS FIRST AND ACT ACCORDINGLY - THIS ACCELERATES THE SUPPORT PROCESS!

Screenshots

https://imgur.com/a/XvaCEKQ

Disclaimer: 

Some planetary imagery is derived from work by Steve Albers and NASA / Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and some from the Celestia Motherlode (itself in the main sourced from JPL). Used by permission of the licenses for non-commercial release.

Edited by Theysen

1 hour ago, Ninadragonborn said:

this is good

is there support for v1.4

i can't play

KSP without RSS

it feel unrealistic without this mod

you know it's stuff like this that makes me NOT want to update the stuff ever. We literally just spent the last few weeks getting this stuff ready and the first thing posted is a complaint about getting another version.

Thanks for the update.

I really appreciate all of the work that you and other modders do.

It will be nice and sad to retire my 1.2.2 rss and start anew with 1.3.1.  I hope i will not split, crush, burn, sprain, mangle and otherwise bruise the little green dudes this time.  Well, ok, maybe just a few...

Again, great job

cheers. 

2 hours ago, raidernick said:

you know it's stuff like this that makes me NOT want to update the stuff ever. We literally just spent the last few weeks getting this stuff ready and the first thing posted is a complaint about getting another version.

I think some people don't know that you can opt-in to previous versions of KSP via Steam Beta.

Can rssve 1.3.1 be like RC3 from 1.2.2 because on RC4 i don't like the orange thing of earth its not there in real life and I'm talking about that middle part between dar and light  see zoom in

apollo08_earthrise.jpg

fh9f406.png

Edited by KspLover777

19 hours ago, raidernick said:

RSS has nothing to do with clouds, post this in w/e thread you got your cloud mod from

I think the confusion arises from the beautiful Earth screenshot in the OP.

On 03/04/2018 at 1:56 AM, Theysen said:

The Earth

fh9f406l.png

Perhaps you could point out which mods were used when taking that screenshot?

Things were getting a little heated in here so I trimmed a few posts. I get that it can feel tough when you've just completed a monumental amount of work and then someone comes in and asks about the next version, but please also understand that not everyone knows what's going on behind the scenes and their question may or may not be "pressuring for an update". If you feel that the rules have been broken, please always report the post and we will look into it. Note that sometimes you won't see the reported post disappear - we might choose to contact the person privately about it so he knows for the future.

But what's always against the rules is responding unkindly to a person. As my mother used to tell me when I'd complain "but he started it!": two wrongs don't make a right. Are we friends now? :wink:

Various posts removed for being off-topic and/or argumentative, such as, 1. insisting on an update, or 2. making jokes about insisting on an update, or 3. arguing about making jokes about insisting on an update.  None of which is either relevant or polite.

Folks, let's be nice to the nice modders who nicely give us nice stuff for free, shall we?  Enough with the "update plz", already.

This is the second time in under 24 hours we've needed to tidy up in here.  Please don't make it necessary to come back again, okay?

Thank you for your understanding.

If anyone is wondering about compatibility with KSP 1.4, I have just done some tests and it appears that the current version of RSS is incompatible with KSP 1.4.  I just tested it, and I was able to reach the start screen and load a save file, but the launch complex was replaced by stars and attempting to go to either the Tracking Station or the VAB results in the game crashing.  Neither of these problems were present with RO but without RSS (I had successfully gone to the VAB in the configuration just prior to my getting RSS).  These issues occur regardless of which set of RSS textures I am using, so it is likely not a memory issue on my end (trying the high end one caused a crash at the start screen).  It also occurs regardless of whether or not I have KSC Switcher installed, or whether I start a new game or load a save.

49 minutes ago, cgwhite4 said:

If anyone is wondering about compatibility with KSP 1.4, I have just done some tests and it appears that the current version of RSS is incompatible with KSP 1.4.  I just tested it, and I was able to reach the start screen and load a save file, but the launch complex was replaced by stars and attempting to go to either the Tracking Station or the VAB results in the game crashing.  Neither of these problems were present with RO but without RSS (I had successfully gone to the VAB in the configuration just prior to my getting RSS).  These issues occur regardless of which set of RSS textures I am using, so it is likely not a memory issue on my end (trying the high end one caused a crash at the start screen).  It also occurs regardless of whether or not I have KSC Switcher installed, or whether I start a new game or load a save.

I don't think anybody was wondering this, it's a known fact it doesn't work. RSS/Kopernicus will absolutely not work in 1.4.x it needs to be reworked and we haven't even started on that yet.

Edited by raidernick