[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

Its been a long while since I played Kerbal!

With the clear instructions I had, RSS, RO and RSSVE, were all installed and ready to go in a fraction of the time it took last time I did this manually :)

I've just taken the included FASA Saturn 5 on a trip to the Moon and had a real blast, thank you to all the people who have worked on this awesome group of mods! My return looked so gorgeous that I had to take a screen shot and share it,  thanks again!

Apollo Re-entry

Edited by immelman

Update available!

• Update custom asteroids compatibility for 1.3+
  • Fix earth terrain noise for changes in ksp 1.4.x, still works in 1.3.1
  • Fixed the problem with the normal maps for Ceres and Vesta, requires update of rss textures pack

RealSolarSystem plugin: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/releases/tag/v13.1.0

Textures: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases/tag/v13.1

Enjoy!

7 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Update available!

• Update custom asteroids compatibility for 1.3+
  • Fix earth terrain noise for changes in ksp 1.4.x, still works in 1.3.1
  • Fixed the problem with the normal maps for Ceres and Vesta, requires update of rss textures pack

RealSolarSystem plugin: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/releases/tag/v13.1.0

Textures: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases/tag/v13.1

Enjoy!

YUSSHHH, thanks a lot team :):):)
Will test this later on the day!

Edited by DrLicor

The specific issue I previously reported has cleared as a result of the new patch.

Edit: That did not last long.  KSP 1.4.3 came out and somehow, everything has reverted back to the Kerbin system.  They must have changed something important to RSS.  The eventual RSS upgrade probably just got harder (and consequently, probably just got delayed).

Edited by cgwhite4
New problem

I downloaded the new version and textures, but the Moon and Vesta (the only two I tried) have weird terrain issues. These glitches go away when you near them and the normal terrain is then shown.

Spoiler

rss_terrain.jpg

Also when I time warp, there are big jumps as it the moon (Ceres, Mimas, Deimos etc) are not making a fullturn and skipping the rest. I had a ship just 80km away from my target while landig and the next jump it exploded inside the terrain while doing a small timewarp.

Let me know if you need logs of anything.

Edited by Jimbodiah

1 hour ago, Jimbodiah said:

I downloaded the new version and textures, but the Moon and Vesta (the only two I tried) have weird terrain issues. These glitches go away when you near them and the normal terrain is then shown.

Reveal hidden contents

rss_terrain.jpg

Also when I time warp, there are big jumps as it the moon (Ceres, Mimas, Deimos etc) are not making a fullturn and skipping the rest. I had a ship just 80km away from my target while landig and the next jump it exploded inside the terrain while doing a small timewarp.

Let me know if you need logs of anything.

The artifacts are not an RSS bug, nothing to be fixed there.

The jumps are caused by kopernicus(and to a lesser extend the stock game) not RSS, again not an RSS issue.(You can fix these jumps by using principia as it completely rewrites how vessels are packed and unpacked.)

Edited by raidernick

4 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

@raidernick   I don't have these glitches with RSS 13.0, which is why I noticed it on 13.1

Thanks for the tip on Principia, I will check it out!!!   I keep needing to add more and more stuff lately to fix the mess that is called KSP.

Well nothing has been changed between rss 13.0 and 13.1 except changing a couple of texture names in the config files for changes to the file structure in the texture pack, so it's impossible that the new version could be causing it. It has to just be a coincidence. If the changes in 13.1 were bad you wouldn't have any textures at all(for instance, the moon wasn't touched at all between versions).

Although I WOULD like to find out if there can be something done about the terrain artifact issue IN RSS itself. You are not the first to mention it. I would like to point out though that the only changes to anything other than Earth between 13.0 and 13.1 are here: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealSolarSystem/commit/d1ebd0be64bc34cc3977380b44f3421bf52b503e

As you can see pretty much nothing was changed. The issue lied in the textures pack and RSS just needed the names for the files updated. However, if you want to 100% rule out RSS, could you try RSS 13.1 with version 13.0 of the texture pack and see if things are still causing artifacts. The normal maps won't work on vesta or ceres but seeing as how you said the artifacts also occured on the moon, you can check that and see if it's still broken. That will narrow it down to either something in the texture pack being bad, or kopernicus/stock being the root cause of the issue which is what I suspect.

I'll try to clarify the ship skipping issue a bit more. This has been an on and off ongoing bug since as long as I can remember. It happens randomly and is related to the stock game. In stock when you time warp, a ship is packed and then unpacked again when you exit time warp. There seems to be some value rounding errors that occur when this happens and the ships "jump" a tiny bit when coming out of warp. In stock this jump is so tiny that you don't notice it. The much larger distances in RSS make this jump much, much worse. There are two ways I know of to fix it permanently. The first is to use principia as it replaces the stock behavior. The second is to use a mod like time control for all time warps. Time control, unlike the stock warp, speeds up the entire game simulation to warp, so it avoids the jumping bug altogether. I use this in my own game. Basically I'll use normal warp when I'm just doing things where I don't care if I skip a bit, and use time control when I'm doing things like docking and I don't want my targets skipping around.

Edited by raidernick

@Jimbodiah This is a KSP 1.3 branch bug that unfortunately either happens or not. And it does not happen for anyone or with a specific combination of mods. Large solar system rescales and quick jumps from SS <--> PQS tend to provoke this bug more than usual (e.g. hyperediting a vessel between bodies or doing a steep/high velocity descent).

As noted, the only texture changes were on the ScaledSpace side of things. SS textures (with the exception of some SS color maps used as a reference for some PQS mods) are unloaded as soon as PQS kicks in. In this update only the normal maps were touched (Moon was not among these) and these are not used anywhere else except in ScaledSpace.

Yeah, it's weird. I tried Principia but then when I would land the surface underneatht he ship would continue moving and the ship I landed next to is moving away fom me. Some really weird stuff was going on. I wnt back to 13.0 and no Principia, and it was stable again. So Prinicipa gave some other major issues; the planet does rotate smoothly now, but at the cost of this new bug and that I could no longer see where I was maneuvering to (stock line enabled but they deviate a lot and principia only shows two straight lines with no real meaning that I could figure out (this is user error no doubt, didn't play lng enough to figure it all out as the texture glitches made gameplay impossible.

I can try using 13.0 textures in 13.1 and see what that does.   BTW I did indeed hyperedit a ship to the moons in question just to check things out.

Edited by Jimbodiah

10 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

BTW I did indeed hyperedit a ship to the moons in question just to check things out.

That is your problem then, use the stock hyperedit function, and use it to teleport your ship to the same body a few times in a row and those artifacts should disappear. The actual hyperedit causes problems when you use it to transfer to another body.

With new kopernicus for 1.4.3 and this mod game became unplayable. Endless loading saves...

Looks like something changed in kopernicus syntax, it shows a lot of errors in planet logs somewhere in atmosphere loading.

11 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

With new kopernicus for 1.4.3 and this mod game became unplayable. Endless loading saves...

Looks like something changed in kopernicus syntax, it shows a lot of errors in planet logs somewhere in atmosphere loading.

Well that's good but as already been said many many many many many many times before, even on this page(13 posts above yours), this does NOT support KSP 1.4.X or kopernicus for 1.4.x. It clearly says 1.3.1 in the title, the mod only supports KSP 1.3.1. Why are you giving bug reports for something that has been explicitly stated to not be supported yet....It's becoming tiresome having to constantly repeat this over and over. Please read before posting things like this as it's not constructive.

Edited by raidernick

17 minutes ago, raidernick said:

I know that it's only for 1.3.1, I can read. RSS for 1.2 worked with 1.3.1, a lot of mods worked with new version. But this planetpack doesn't. So everybody can play footbal, no fresh KSP-RSS. Keep calm

By the way, there is no planetpacks working with 1.4.3? Looks like syntax changing in kopernikus...

Edited by Alexoff

1 minute ago, Alexoff said:

I know that it's only for 1.3.1, I can read. RSS for 1.2 worked with 1.3.1, a lot of mods worked with new version. But this planetpack doesn't. So everybody can play footbal, no fresh KSP-RSS. Keep calm

If you know that, you shouldn't post it as a bug report about the mod. It doesn't matter if in the past it may have worked in a different version of ksp than designed, but no mod should ever be expected to and making a report about it will only mislead other people into thinking that there is something wrong with it when it is functioning as intended.

1 minute ago, raidernick said:

If you know that, you shouldn't post it as a bug report about the mod. It doesn't matter if in the past it may have worked in a different version of ksp than designed, but no mod should ever be expected to and making a report about it will only mislead other people into thinking that there is something wrong with it when it is functioning as intended.

I posted it doesn't work with 1.4.3, it's current version of the game, majority of players has it already. If they try RSS they can break their saves or just spend time. Why people above posted it worked fine with 1.4.2? They should take silence that mod worked fine with undesigned version of the game?

3 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

I posted it doesn't work with 1.4.3, it's current version of the game, majority of players has it already. If they try RSS they can break their saves or just spend time. Why people above posted it worked fine with 1.4.2? They should take silence that mod worked fine with undesigned version of the game?

I don't care what the majority of people are using, the mod says it supports KSP 1.3.1, it supports ONLY ksp 1.3.1. If it works in another version it's purely coincidence. Regardless, you shouldn't be posting bug reports about anything other than the version of the game the mod supports.

30 minutes ago, raidernick said:

I don't care what the majority of people are using, the mod says it supports KSP 1.3.1, it supports ONLY ksp 1.3.1. If it works in another version it's purely coincidence. Regardless, you shouldn't be posting bug reports about anything other than the version of the game the mod supports.

I don't need any RSS support, I updated a lot of mods just for me and I have my personal RSS graphics and planet expansion. I tried to fix RSS for 1.4.3 but found there are some new kopernicus syntax for atmospheres.

Looks like new kopernicus don't like "AtmosphereFromGround" part.

Edited by Alexoff

Well, i haven't found any smarter way to remove any " AtmosphereFromGround " modules from every atmosphere planet files. Now RSS can be loaded and I can start the game at least. :rolleyes:

2FC8u.png

2FC7U.png

2FC7T.png

By the way, RSSVE mod looks like don't exist any more - no download links on the page, thread is closed... :(

Edited by Alexoff