[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

@rubikscubeworld

Welcome to the forums.  This is the thread for RSS, which has been updated now to KSP 1.4.5.  Realism Overhaul is a different mod (which includes a bunch of other mods by reference) which is only updated for 1.3.1.  Many KSP mods are very particular about which version of the game they will run correctly on.  You may want to try over on that thread for more assistance:

You'll also get better help if you follow the steps outlined in this post:

9 hours ago, rubikscubeworld said:

Ok. Pretty sure nobody is going to listen to me since:

1. Nobody deals with Newbies who just got the game

2. There is a 95% chance that this forum is abandoned, but this is my last piece of hope to install a small segment of Realism Overhaul.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Anyway, this is just a curious question: How do I install the mod since I am really confused into how to use and download mods? I have something called Ckan or something... There's something called kopernicus which is supposed to be some (RSS) system. I install that, and everything is so dark. Everything is black. No it's not night time, I literally time-warped a few times, and still nothing happens. I got Extra Visual Enhancements, I got planet-shine, and still nothing happens. However, I have no idea how to install, frankly any mod? I think I used planet shine wrong, whenever I run EVE it crashes... I am really bad at this.

I might sound like I know a thing or two about mods, however it's just because I did (a bit)* of research over realism overhaul, and I am (somewhat) tech savvy... I really want this mod, because I know you admins worked on this a lot, and I would like to acknowledge your work.

*lies... Does 7 hours of research and watches 12 video tutorials about how to install realism overhaul, gives up and last reserve to this forum which I am pretty sure NOBODY will listen to me... My last hope...

Sorry to bother you guys... Admins, please forgive me if I missed anything said in the forum, I won't ask for 1.4.4 compatibility, I am just happy with 1.2.

Anyway, welcome to the forum rubikscubeworld... I guess I said that just to make myself feel better?

Man that took a while to say, and MAN do I have a headache searching up all that. Please help...:wacko::/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see all of you guys downloading all these mods in forums, talking to each other, and I think you guys are just speaking Kerbol...

The forum is not abandoned, it's active, and so is this thread. Welcome. \o/

I suggest removing CKAN and installing things yourself. CKAN does things automatically, can mess stuff up and it's best used when you have few mods and know what you're doing.

Basically what you need to do is download a mod (Curse, Spacedock, ...) and unzip it. For example if you downloaded Heat Control, you place it in your GameData folder so that the structure looks like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\HeatControl

Some mods require other mods ("dependencies") so be sure to read the opening posts of each modder's mod thread.

To use Real Solar System, install that and its dependency mods and, for the best, create a new savegame.

2 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

What is RSS Venus ground atmospheric pressure supposed to be? It's a fragment of one atmosphere for me. oO

BTW I'm using Realistic Atmospheres mod.

Must be your mod messing things up then. The pressure on Venus' surface is more than stock KSP parts can handle, or at least it was like that when I last visited Venus, some KSP versions ago, maybe 1.2.2.

I dont know what units it is in, but for the mentioned reason it must be >4000 units, as this is the maximum stock KSP parts can have IIRC.

For that reason there was a patch floating around which increased the stock parts pressure limit. IIRC it raised it to 10000 units.

Apologies for not being able to supply you with the exact numbers of the current patch. Hopefully someone with more insight will chime in.

cheers

-Daf

edit: now that I think of it, that pressure problem on Venus was on an SSRSS install. But I bet it's the same in full scale, as I believe SSRSS used the same surface atmos pressures, just scaled the curve accordingly.

Ok, so I did everything you guys told me. Thanks! I got earth... And all that... HOWEVER, there is something that I must bring to attention... WHY IN THE WORLD IS THE WORLD SO DARK? LOL, anyway in all seriousness, thank you guys, you guys did help me, just please answer this question, and I will be all set. Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DD7UZW8iPUmPNVIIdIlSNiIaZ-W3uhbe

Dark kerbin...

Cue the sound effects... DUN DUN DUN... LOL

I am just so happy I got the mod. You can clearly tell...

AGU Klaw bounces off an invisible shield around asteroids?

I didn't have any problems with the AGU (Advanced Grabbing Unit) Klaw in stock KSP. But this is the first time I'm trying it in RSS, and the klaw seems to bounce off at a few meters before touching the surface of the asteroid.
And I don't see "Target Center of Mass" in the right-click menu.
Is it just me or are Class E asteroids in RSS much larger than Class E asteroids in stock KSP? Does this bug have something to do with the large size?
What is the green line that's sometimes drawn on the asteroid?
As usual, I make my approach speed between 0.5 and 1.0 m/s.  Is this correct?

Video of the problem here:

First bounce is at 0:47 (watch the prograde marker on Navball). Second bounce is at 1:31

KSP 1.4.5 + RSS + SMURFF

Thank you.

Asteroids received an extra patch in the KSP 1.4 version to make them bigger (E class should be at least 800 meters in radius now).

The problems with the asteroids are:

• The colliders are not exactly perfect. The procedural nature of them does not allow a perfect collider to exist (like the usual parts have). This is also a problem in stock KSP.
  • KSP has difficulties keeping up with the increased scale. Basically, KSP uses a fixed radius to check if the AGU can "grab" a part and this does not work for the larger asteroid classes (and that's weird since the AGU should work for parts up to 1250 meter in radius before the physics system unloads itself).

TL;DR: i probably broke the larger asteroid classes for a large enough playerbase...:blush:

I've edited the surface texture (negative and lowered some channel brightness and contrast) to make it appear similar to what Venus looks like beneath the clouds because the present texture in RSS is completely unrealistic.

Results with Scatterer only. I can't get the EVE clouds to work.

88208531415F32B1797860DDB15EC109224932B3

6DACE0BCD51DDDC57F60108EBE862DE8598EAB99

9 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Asteroids received an extra patch in the KSP 1.4 version to make them bigger (E class should be at least 800 meters in radius now).

The problems with the asteroids are:

• The colliders are not exactly perfect. The procedural nature of them does not allow a perfect collider to exist (like the usual parts have). This is also a problem in stock KSP.
  • KSP has difficulties keeping up with the increased scale. Basically, KSP uses a fixed radius to check if the AGU can "grab" a part and this does not work for the larger asteroid classes (and that's weird since the AGU should work for parts up to 1250 meter in radius before the physics system unloads itself).

TL;DR: i probably broke the larger asteroid classes for a large enough playerbase...:blush:

Do you mean klawing smaller classes should be more likely to work? What's the max class that you think would be klaw-able?

Do you think I should try klawing at more convex parts (like a protruding lump) of asteroids?

And what do you think of the missing "Target Center of Mass" option in the right-click menu?

5 hours ago, MilkSage said:

Do you mean klawing smaller classes should be more likely to work? What's the max class that you think would be klaw-able?

Yes. At least the A and B classes should work as i did some (limited) testing on them.

Do you think I should try klawing at more convex parts (like a protruding lump) of asteroids?

Maybe? I have not tried that TBH.

And what do you think of the missing "Target Center of Mass" option in the right-click menu?

I answered that on my original post (second point). KSP was not designed to handle asteroids that large and functions, like the CoM targeting, apparently breaks if you scale them up.

Are elevations supposed to be realistic for earth? It seems like a lot of places are about 3x too high. Is that intented (perhaps for dramatic effect)?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Bob810, welcome to the forums, you should make sure all the dependencies have been installed as described in the first post of this thread.

I've installed RSS for the first time and want to start off by saying, WOW! Great job to everyone involved!

I was curious though, as someone who works in space exploration, the orbital inclination of some of the satellites seems incorrect. For example, the plane of orbit for Jupiter's moons is nearly 45 degrees compared to its coloured bands (equatorial plane) whereas the orbital inclination should be sub-2 degrees. Same is true for Mars where the orbits of Phobos and Deimos appear to be roughly 45 degrees wrt Mars' equatorial plane which is also sub-2 degrees (see link to screengrab below).

Screengrab: Phobos and Deimos orbits about Mars (rotational axis situated vertically)

1 hour ago, canucks357 said:

the orbital inclination of some of the satellites seems incorrect.

Unity supposedly has an issue with rotation which doesn't let KSP model axial tilt.  The axis of rotation for all the planets and moons is the same.  This is why the plane of the ecliptic is tilted over in RSS instead of the Earth being tilted.  Giving Earth the proper axial tilt was the compromise chosen, meaning the axis for all other planets is wrong.

I imagine that the Jovian moons orbit in the correct plane when compared to the ecliptic... just not when compared to Jupiter.  So, they will be in the expected place for your arriving spacecraft.  It's just Jupiter itself that's wonky.

Edited by RoboRay

On 10/7/2018 at 9:16 PM, RoboRay said:

Unity supposedly has an issue with rotation which doesn't let KSP model axial tilt.  The axis of rotation for all the planets and moons is the same.  This is why the plane of the ecliptic is tilted over in RSS instead of the Earth being tilted.  Giving Earth the proper axial tilt was the compromise chosen, meaning the axis for all other planets is wrong.

I imagine that the Jovian moons orbit in the correct plane when compared to the ecliptic... just not when compared to Jupiter.  So, they will be in the expected place for your arriving spacecraft.  It's just Jupiter itself that's wonky.

Good to know, thanks. Strange behaviour but makes sense why they approached this solution.