[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

So I'm looking to add this solar system to my game, but I'm hoping to make it orbit the stock system and travel to it from Kerbin. Is there a patch floating around somewhere that I can use for this purpose? I'm willing to write one for myself if someone hasn't already written one. Any help is appreciated.

@SchwinnTropius

... at least.

You could also use this if you want:
GameData\zFinal\zzz_SMURFF.cfg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug7dmo1g7a1t2z2/zzz_SMURFF.cfg?dl=1

Spoiler

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,Kerbalism,!FerramAerospaceResearch,!SigmaDimensions]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	// 1 = real-ish performance ("classic" SMURFF), 0 = stock, and anything in between is in between.  Probably shouldn't go beyond 1, since strange things might happen if too much mass gets subtracted.
	@tanklever = 0
	@enginelever = 0
	@podlever = 0.3
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,Kerbalism,FerramAerospaceResearch,!SigmaDimensions]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	// 1 = real-ish performance ("classic" SMURFF), 0 = stock, and anything in between is in between.  Probably shouldn't go beyond 1, since strange things might happen if too much mass gets subtracted.
	@tanklever = 0.1
	@enginelever = 0.1
	@podlever = 0.3
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	systemScale = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
	@tanklever = 1
	@enginelever = 1
	@podlever = 1
	@tanklever *= #$systemScale$
	@enginelever *= #$systemScale$
	@podlever *= #$systemScale$
	@tanklever /= 6.4
	@enginelever /= 6.4
	@podlever /= 6.4
	!systemScale = delete
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,RealSolarSystem]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@tanklever = 1
	@enginelever = 1
	@podlever = 1
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,Kerbalism,SigmaDimensions]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@podlever += 0.3
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:HAS[#tanklever[>1]]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@tanklever = 1
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:HAS[#enginelever[>1]]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@enginelever = 1
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:HAS[#podlever[>1]]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@podlever = 1
}

// @BDBRESCALECONFIG:NEEDS[SigmaDimensions,Bluedog_DB]:BEFORE[zzzBluedog_DB_1]
// {
	// @systemScale = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
	// %scaleFactor = #$systemScale$
	// @scaleFactor -= 1
	// tempz = #$systemScale$
	// @tempz /= 1.4143094841930116472545757071547
	// @scaleFactor /= #$tempz$
	// !tempz = delete
// }

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE,*:HAS[#name[ModuleEngines*]]
	{
		tempx = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
		@tempx /= 17.708333333333333333333333333333
		@tempx += 1
		@maxThrust *= #$tempx$
		!tempx = delete
	}
} 

and this
GameData\RealSolarSystem\SimpleRSSPatch\RSS.cfg

// Simple patch to scale thrust to levels where realistically proportioned rockets behave like they would in the real world at RSS scale
// This patch allows you to fly in a bare RSS install without needing RO or other complicated patches/mods.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem&!SSRSS]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @maxThrust *= 1.55

@atmosphereCurve
        {
            @key[1, ] *= 1.55
	        @key,1[1, ] *= 1.55
	        @key,2[1, ] *= 1.55
        }
    }
}

So I was driving around the launch Pad in my new Rover that I wanna shoot to the moon in a few weeks, when suddenly...

imgur.com/a/zDf52GN

I can literally drive under the launchpad (first picture in this album) after placing the rover with vessel mover. Driving off the slope is enough of a drop to destroy parts of the rover...  Would make a video but don't have any capture software installed.

Happened at the Tanegashima location.  Other locations seem to have similar altitude misalignments...  Not the biggest issue since taking off is unaffected, and one can easily land off to the site OR precisely on the launchpad runway... but landing on these slopes is probably not a good idea either way.  Still thought I should let someone know?

On 10/10/2018 at 8:01 PM, Gordon Dry said:

@SchwinnTropius

... at least.

You could also use this if you want:
GameData\zFinal\zzz_SMURFF.cfg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ug7dmo1g7a1t2z2/zzz_SMURFF.cfg?dl=1

Reveal hidden contents

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,Kerbalism,!FerramAerospaceResearch,!SigmaDimensions]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@tanklever = 0
	@enginelever = 0
	@podlever = 0.3
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,Kerbalism,FerramAerospaceResearch,!SigmaDimensions]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@tanklever = 0.1
	@enginelever = 0.1
	@podlever = 0.3
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	systemScale = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
	@tanklever = 1
	@enginelever = 1
	@podlever = 1
	@tanklever *= #$systemScale$
	@enginelever *= #$systemScale$
	@podlever *= #$systemScale$
	@tanklever /= 6.4
	@enginelever /= 6.4
	@podlever /= 6.4
	!systemScale = delete
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,RealSolarSystem]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@tanklever = 1
	@enginelever = 1
	@podlever = 1
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,Kerbalism,SigmaDimensions]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@podlever += 0.3
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:HAS[#tanklever[>1]]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@tanklever = 1
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:HAS[#enginelever[>1]]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@enginelever = 1
}

@SMURFFCONFIG:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:HAS[#podlever[>1]]:BEFORE[zzz_SMURFF]
{
	@podlever = 1
}

// @BDBRESCALECONFIG:NEEDS[SigmaDimensions,Bluedog_DB]:BEFORE[zzzBluedog_DB_1]
// {
	// @systemScale = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
	// %scaleFactor = #$systemScale$
	// @scaleFactor -= 1
	// tempz = #$systemScale$
	// @tempz /= 1.4143094841930116472545757071547
	// @scaleFactor /= #$tempz$
	// !tempz = delete
// }

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]:NEEDS[SMURFF,SigmaDimensions]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE,*:HAS[#name[ModuleEngines*]]
	{
		tempx = #$@SigmaDimensions/Resize$
		@tempx /= 17.708333333333333333333333333333
		@tempx += 1
		@maxThrust *= #$tempx$
		!tempx = delete
	}
} 

and this
GameData\RealSolarSystem\SimpleRSSPatch\RSS.cfg

// Simple patch to scale thrust to levels where realistically proportioned rockets behave like they would in the real world at RSS scale
// This patch allows you to fly in a bare RSS install without needing RO or other complicated patches/mods.

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]]:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem&!SSRSS]:FINAL
{
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
    {
        @maxThrust *= 1.55

@atmosphereCurve
        {
            @key[1, ] *= 1.55
	        @key,1[1, ] *= 1.55
	        @key,2[1, ] *= 1.55
        }
    }
}

Would I have to install SMURFF and those 2 configs? 

I've tried out SMURFF already but something just seems off; or getting to orbit is really that much harder in RSS. Rockets seem stupidly overpowered but still run out of fuel too quickly to get anywhere close to orbit. Not even the KerbalX is able to (or should I be building bigger rockets myself?). I'd just like a similar experience to stock while playing in RSS.

2 hours ago, Miza said:

Would I have to install SMURFF and those 2 configs? 

I've tried out SMURFF already but something just seems off; or getting to orbit is really that much harder in RSS. Rockets seem stupidly overpowered but still run out of fuel too quickly to get anywhere close to orbit. Not even the KerbalX is able to (or should I be building bigger rockets myself?). I'd just like a similar experience to stock while playing in RSS.

Well it is not that much harder to reach orbital altitudes but Earth’s radius is 10x greater than Kerbin’s. Also, Kerbal parts are only 5/8th actual size so you will need more tanks to carry enough fuel. 

An easy way to get started is with the Real Scale Boosters mod.

8 hours ago, Miza said:

If you're trying to use Kerbal-sized rockets in RSS, it's not going to get you far...  even with SMURFF.  Real world rockets are big compared to stock KSP rockets.  I wouldn't expect any of the Squad-provided designs like KerbalX to accomplish anything more than suborbitals in RSS.

With SMURFF, your engines are lighter, meaning your thrust to weight ratio is higher.  And your fuel tank structure is lighter, so your TWR is higher.  You should be taking advantage of this much better TWR to add a lot more fuel.  You're going to need it.

Edited by RoboRay

@Dafni as I already mentioned in my above post - that "same" Simple RSS patch, I just nerfed it down to *= 1.55 instead of *= 1.7 when using it together with SMURFF.

And I also use Kerbalism, so parts with a reliability set to "high" increase weight ...
And if radiation shielding is added to a crew pod than the vessel even becomes heavier.

9 hours ago, RoboRay said:

If you're trying to use Kerbal-sized rockets in RSS, it's not going to get you far...  even with SMURFF.  Real world rockets are big compared to stock KSP rockets.  I wouldn't expect any of the Squad-provided designs like KerbalX to accomplish anything more than suborbitals in RSS.

With SMURFF, your engines are lighter, meaning your thrust to weight ratio is higher.  And your fuel tank structure is lighter, so your TWR is higher.  You should be taking advantage of this much better TWR to add a lot more fuel.  You're going to need it.

Ahh I see. I kept reading about scaled up boosters here and there, I didn't think of that. I thought it was as simple as increasing the fuel by a certain amount, haha.

I installed RO earlier just to see what all the fuss was about and holy... People weren't joking when they said the learning curve was much steeper than the stock game. I still can't even reach orbit, and often times my rocket just loses control and explodes. I'm no master at the stock game, but I wasn't expecting this level of complexity. It's frustrating yet exciting at the same time. Though a little too daunting still. I might just stick to RSB or the Simple RSS patch if it's as easygoing as it sounds.

I did RSS/SMURFF for months before I tried it with RO and RP-0.

I can never play stockish KSP again.  It's too simple.

You have so many more design decisions to make with RO, and they all interact.  Everything has to be considered and planned.  The sense of accomplishment when you reach mission goals is just huge. 

And the dev RP-0 campaign game is fantastic.   The tech tree alone is worth it...  all the fundamental flaws of the ridiculous stock tech tree progression are addressed. 

Keep at it and give RO a chance.  

4 hours ago, Miza said:

Ahh I see. I kept reading about scaled up boosters here and there, I didn't think of that. I thought it was as simple as increasing the fuel by a certain amount, haha.

I installed RO earlier just to see what all the fuss was about and holy... People weren't joking when they said the learning curve was much steeper than the stock game. I still can't even reach orbit, and often times my rocket just loses control and explodes. I'm no master at the stock game, but I wasn't expecting this level of complexity. It's frustrating yet exciting at the same time. Though a little too daunting still. I might just stick to RSB or the Simple RSS patch if it's as easygoing as it sounds.

Follow the fun!

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

I did RSS/SMURFF for months before I tried it with RO and RP-0.

I can never play stockish KSP again.  It's too simple.

You have so many more design decisions to make with RO, and they all interact.  Everything has to be considered and planned.  The sense of accomplishment when you reach mission goals is just huge. 

And the dev RP-0 campaign game is fantastic.   The tech tree alone is worth it...  all the fundamental flaws of the ridiculous stock tech tree progression are addressed. 

Keep at it and give RO a chance.  

I might keep two separate installations; one with and the other without RO. I will admit I do like the staggered and limited ignition for engines, as well as specifying the amount of and what type of fuel you want tanks to hold. 

However, there are so many added parts that building a rocket from scratch is extremely tedious. I used CKAN, so I installed a couple of extra mods just for the heck of it. Should I just stick to stock parts and the RSB mod? 

56 minutes ago, Miza said:

However, there are so many added parts that building a rocket from scratch is extremely tedious. I used CKAN, so I installed a couple of extra mods just for the heck of it. Should I just stick to stock parts and the RSB mod? 

I would use Janitors Closet to prune most of those parts (don't get rid of any stock parts, that causes problems).  Keep the engines, and use Procedural Parts for all your tanks and decouplers.  You can seriously reduce how many parts the game has to load with some aggressive pruning.

I actually recommend against using RN's parts packs unless your goal is to create accurate replicas of actual flow spacecraft.  If that is what you want do, RN's packs are perfect.  If not, you get a lot of clutter of near-duplicate parts representing how the designs changed over time.  The probe pack is nice if you want one-part solutions, but I prefer coming up with my own designs.

The RP-0 campaign mode may also be really helpful.  Just like when learning stock KSP, the tech tree hands you a few new things at a time so you can learn how to use them... where Sandbox dumps everything in your lap at once.

RP-0 plays well with just the required mods.  You can always add more parts pack as you get a handle on things.

Edited by RoboRay

4 minutes ago, Observe said:

Does anyone know if latest RSS works with KSP 1.5 or do we need to wait for RSS update? Thank you.

Sorry...you're not supposed to bug the modders with this question...it's bad form.

Since you asked, any mod that messes with the planets needs, at a minimum, Kopernicus to be updated. So you won't see any planet mods updated until sometime after that. 

3 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Sorry...you're not supposed to bug the modders with this question...it's bad form.

What? Since when does a polite, no pressure question constitute bugging? Your response make me feel like I never want to "risk" asking a question, for fear of the kind of response you display.

1 hour ago, Observe said:

What? Since when does a polite, no pressure question constitute bugging? Your response make me feel like I never want to "risk" asking a question, for fear of the kind of response you display.

Edited by Tyko

@TykoExcuse me? I still don't get your point. Here was my question: "Does anyone know if latest RSS works with KSP 1.5 or do we need to wait for RSS update?". Do you see anything there about asking for an update or pestering anyone in any way?  I merely asked if the existing version works with latest KSP. Seems like a legitimate forum question for a humble player such as myself, who isn't an expert such as you.

18 minutes ago, Observe said:

@TykoExcuse me? I still don't get your point. Here was my question: "Does anyone know if latest RSS works with KSP 1.5 or do we need to wait for RSS update?". Do you see anything there about asking for an update or pestering anyone in any way?  I merely asked if the existing version works with latest KSP. Seems like a legitimate forum question for a humble player such as myself, who isn't an expert such as you.

Look at the first page in this thread in the title. It says 1.4.5, not 1.5, so that's a pretty good hint that it's not updated yet. Since you're only asking if it is, not when it will be, that's your answer

Edited by Tyko

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Look at the first page in this thread in the title. It says 1.4.5, not 1.5, so that's a pretty good hint that it's not updated yet. Since you're only asking if it is, not when it will be, that's your answer

I apologize if I offended. Yes, I saw the thread title. I asked, because sometimes mods still work, in spite of game version change. Anyway, I regret posting and will think twice before doing so in future.

10 minutes ago, Observe said:

I apologize if I offended. Yes, I saw the thread title. I asked, because sometimes mods still work, in spite of game version change. Anyway, I regret posting and will think twice before doing so in future.

I answered the question of whether it might work or not in my very first post. I've been trying to give you useful info from the beginning and never attacked you...

Since you asked, any mod that messes with the planets needs, at a minimum, Kopernicus to be updated. So you won't see any planet mods updated until sometime after that. 

Edited by Tyko