[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

I believe it's listed as archived because the developer is no longer active and has stopped offering support for it.  You should still be able to download the latest update of RSSVE from this specific link, but I've found it to be almost unusably unstable under the latest version of KSP.  Of course, that makes sense because neither RSSVE nor Scatterer (nor RSS for that matter) have been officially updated to support 1.7.3.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Prathtel said:

It depends on Realism Overhaul. If RO gets updated to 1.8 then this will too most likely.

Actually, RO is not a dependency of RSS.  In the past, RSS has occasionally been released for new KSP versions before RO has been updated.  This benefits people who play RSS with SMURFF instead of RO.

I expect the next release will be for 1.7, though, since that's the current target for RO/RP-1 development.

Edited by RoboRay

1 hour ago, nasaholic said:

Edit: I think I found one: SMURFF. Time to go and try it out. Can any pro's please advise - is SMURFF alone enough or do you recommend anything in addition?

SMURFF will give you a very stock-like gameplay experience in RSS.  You'll still have to build larger rockets than you needed on Kerbin, but everything will work pretty much the same.

Edited by RoboRay

4 hours ago, nasaholic said:

Yay. Installed the latest version for 1.7.3 and its working flawlessly. Now my question is: is it doable without RO, and if so are there any non-RO mods that you can recommend to at least be able to reach orbit? :lol:

I typically just use Real Fuels + RF Stockalike Engines. Combine that with the 5m tanks from Making History or with SSTU tanks (configurable to multiple diameters) and RSS is totally doable.

I suggest NOT combining that or RO or any realistic type engine/tank configs/Real Fuels with SMURFF. 

Pick one and stick with it.

Has anyone managed to find a spot on the Moon's south pole which receives substantially more sunlight than along the equator? I'm looking for a place to establish a base with near-continuous access to sunlight as has been proposed for the Shackleton Crater. I'm playing with the 2048 textures and have found that the sun dips pretty far below the horizon for a significant period of time in all the locations I've explored, making me think I'm better off just building at the equator due to the ease of landing there. 

@GP_LeChuck Are you playing with stock physics or with Principia? With stock physics, because of the way Real Solar System simulates Earth's axial tilt (by tilting the entire Solar System by 23.5 degrees), axial tilt of every other body including the Moon, is completely wrong. This causes the Moon to have polar days and nights just like on real Earth. So it's not actually possible to have 'peaks of eternal light' on the Moon when using RSS with stock physics. You'll get about half year of light and half year of darkness when you land in the right spot near one of the poles. Prinicipia adds n-body physics and though I'm not sure exactly how, the creators of this mod managed to implement proper axial tilts for every planet and moon.

17 hours ago, Scorpu said:

@GP_LeChuck Are you playing with stock physics or with Principia? With stock physics, because of the way Real Solar System simulates Earth's axial tilt (by tilting the entire Solar System by 23.5 degrees), axial tilt of every other body including the Moon, is completely wrong. This causes the Moon to have polar days and nights just like on real Earth. So it's not actually possible to have 'peaks of eternal light' on the Moon when using RSS with stock physics. You'll get about half year of light and half year of darkness when you land in the right spot near one of the poles. Prinicipia adds n-body physics and though I'm not sure exactly how, the creators of this mod managed to implement proper axial tilts for every planet and moon.

@Scorpu Thanks for the reply, that must be it! I'm ashamed to admit it, but after several successful moon landings with Principia I found myself missing the clean interface of the stock maneuver node and switched back. I had no idea Principia did anything with planetary bodies themselves--I figured that was all covered under Kopernicus/RSS. I may have to consider re-installing Principia now...