[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

I just downloaded RSS and RO for the first time on a fresh install of 1.3.1

Just opened it to poke around the new solar system in the tacking station, and everything seems to work except I'm seeing all orbits heavily inclined to their parent bodies. I'm not sure if the mod is meant to be this way, but after a bunch of wikipedia searches of various planets' and moons' inclinations, I'm at least certain the actual solar system shouldn't be like this.

The moon is in a heavily-inclined orbit around Earth, the four Galilean moons are in the same plane as each other but heavily inclined around Jupiter (extra evident ith Jupiter's horizontal cloud bands) and all planets in the same heavy inclination relative to the sun. 

Is this a known issue? If not, I can provide more info as needed.

54 minutes ago, mistergoblin said:

I just downloaded RSS and RO for the first time on a fresh install of 1.3.1

Just opened it to poke around the new solar system in the tacking station, and everything seems to work except I'm seeing all orbits heavily inclined to their parent bodies. I'm not sure if the mod is meant to be this way, but after a bunch of wikipedia searches of various planets' and moons' inclinations, I'm at least certain the actual solar system shouldn't be like this.

The moon is in a heavily-inclined orbit around Earth, the four Galilean moons are in the same plane as each other but heavily inclined around Jupiter (extra evident ith Jupiter's horizontal cloud bands) and all planets in the same heavy inclination relative to the sun. 

Is this a known issue? If not, I can provide more info as needed.

This is actually needed as KSP doesn't support axial tilt, so RSS tilts all planets around Earth to maintain proper inclinations. 

Principia implements axial tilt, by the way but it also implements n-body physics.

17 hours ago, Theysen said:

This is actually needed as KSP doesn't support axial tilt, so RSS tilts all planets around Earth to maintain proper inclinations. 

Principia implements axial tilt, by the way but it also implements n-body physics.

Ah, perfect. Thank you!

Next challenge for me: achieve orbit!

I would like to update the conical heat shield pack by oblivion aerospace to work with RSS/RO. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction where to start doing this? Probably going to have to make sure it works properly with FAR as well to ensure it works as a lifting body in addition to ensuring it works with the heating model.

1 hour ago, immelman said:

I would like to update the conical heat shield pack by oblivion aerospace to work with RSS/RO. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction where to start doing this? Probably going to have to make sure it works properly with FAR as well to ensure it works as a lifting body in addition to ensuring it works with the heating model.

What you want is just RO then, there is nothing you need to do in RSS: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul

27 minutes ago, Hunony said:

when i update for 1.4 this thing updates for 1.3 what

Hello there,

Not quite sure what it is you're asking-- to be clear, this mod doesn't work on KSP 1.4.x (the OP of this thread states as much).  If you're on KSP 1.4.x, my understanding is that you can't use it with this mod.

26 minutes ago, Hunony said:

when i update for 1.4 this thing updates for 1.3 what

even the old orginal RSS was always a full iteration behind, for the reason of having all the dependencies locked.

I just want the modders to know that there are plenty folks that are willing to wait. You guys do your thing and we'll always be here no matter what. I really wish I could contribute in any way somehow (mostly financially) just for a feeling of consolation on your end for all the hard work. Some might think KSP is just a game. But really its much more than just that. YOU guys make this game so much more complete. Color me excited :) !!  

19 hours ago, Snark said:

Hello there,

Not quite sure what it is you're asking-- to be clear, this mod doesn't work on KSP 1.4.x (the OP of this thread states as much).  If you're on KSP 1.4.x, my understanding is that you can't use it with this mod.

ik just downgraded to 1.3.1 so i can test if it runs in my pc

edit: i tested it today but for some reason i cant turn my camera, stage, throttle and etc. i installed via ckan

Edited by Hunony

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2018 at 3:55 PM, mistergoblin said:

Ah, perfect. Thank you!

Next challenge for me: achieve orbit!

If you are using MechJeb, just set the Moon as a target and launch into the plane of the target. If you are doing it manually, send up a satellite with 12-15k dV to about 500-1000km, and change it's inclination to match the moon. You can then use that satellite as an aiming point to launch your next rockets ;)   Set heading to 28.36° or -28.36° depending on which side of earth you are launching from.

Takes a bit of getting used to when you are used to the stock system which has almost no inclanation and launches from the equator. BTW: I have a launch site near the equator (Alcanatara) in my RSS patch if you want to start a bit simpler, as the Florida launch site does not really dip down to the moon's orbit so you will always need a small inclination correction after getting into orbit. Not sure if the LaunchSites mod will ever be picked up again so you can change this in-game.

couple questions from a noob to RSS/RO.
1. What does the 'Non RO' in part names mean? is the part going to mess up any craft that uses it? or is it just kind of a "we don't support this, use at your own risk" kind of thing?

2. is there any way to use KerbalKonstructs in tandem with KCT, so that i can say, build a rocket in the VAB and launch it from a different pad than the stock KSC one? like an SLC-41, SLC-40 or LC-39B?

7 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

How does one obtain a copy of 1.3.1? And, not trying to be that guy, I just wondered if 1.4.x is on the roadmap?

If you are on Steam just right click on the game in your library and go to settings. Upper right you'll see a Beta tab. You can download almost all the older versions from that page.

If you are not on Steam, I'm not certain but I think the Kerbal Home page should have a link somewhere to do it.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:31 PM, ForumUser said:

When is this getting updated to 1.4 anyway? No one seems to be answering this question.

When it's ready. 

But seriously not before all the other mods that RO depends on get updated to 1.4. Usually FAR takes the longest and there definitely won't be a release before it gets updated.

On 5/19/2018 at 3:31 PM, ForumUser said:

When is this getting updated to 1.4 anyway? No one seems to be answering this question.

nobody is answering because they are sick of people whining about this. It will be updated when it's updated and not before that, don't like it, you'll need to get over it.

On 5/16/2018 at 5:17 AM, Initial-Dee said:

couple questions from a noob to RSS/RO.
1. What does the 'Non RO' in part names mean? is the part going to mess up any craft that uses it? or is it just kind of a "we don't support this, use at your own risk" kind of thing?

It means it is not supported by RO. If that part has fuel tanks/engines, it probably won't work, for instance, liquid fuel won't be converted into KEROLOX. If it is a "passive" component like a structural part, the difference will be the weight, the sizes,  probably its drag values etc.

4 hours ago, skoy21 said:

It means it is not supported by RO. If that part has fuel tanks/engines, it probably won't work, for instance, liquid fuel won't be converted into KEROLOX. If it is a "passive" component like a structural part, the difference will be the weight, the sizes,  probably its drag values etc.

Non-RO just means it hasn't been verified and certified. It's just a label and its presence doesn't mean it won't work. 

If Real Fuels is installed then tanks will be converted. An RF engine pack (preferably RO) is installed then engines can use kerolox or whatever they are configured for. 

3 hours ago, Iso-Polaris said:

Can you specify how this is not working in 1.4.3?

The system not being loaded or ?

In my situation save files became unloadable. But I revived RSS with deleting "AtmosphereFromGround" in every atmospheric planet files.