[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

Hi, I'm looking to do some specific trajectory planning using RSS and the newly released REX to explore the Centauri and Trappist systems. Short description of problem: mod update incompatibility for what I want to do. Long description: 

I have played 300+ hours of

-stock 1.6.1,

-stock 1.7.x and

-stock 1.8.1,

-1.6.1 RSS/RO/ TAClife support and planetary bases + several other mods (RIP PC) 

And now I am trying to simplify for the sake of GPU performance. Current setup through 1.7.3 Ckan is RSS, SMURFF, Near Future Prop, Elec, Solar, FireSpitter (for Titan Launches), and Extraplanetary Bases. I manually downloaded REX and it works fine in 1.7.3. I am running a career w/o RP-1, just 125% science and funds rewards (once again to limit mods), and as the game progresses through the tech tree, I will install Free Thinker's KSP Interstellar Extended for the beam propulsion, come what may with the nerfed NF reactors. Then I plan to install Free Thinker's Photon Sailor, which is where my problem begins.

Photon Sailor is compatible with 1.7.0 or 1.8.1, not 1.7.3. RSS, SMURFF, NF work well with 1.7.0-1.7.3, so I could theoretically play at 1.7.0 and still enjoy AGL altimeter function. However, Extraplanetary Bases is locked at 1.7.3 or 1.8.1, so the 1.7.0 run is a no-go. Likewise, RSS and thus REX are not yet up to date for 1.8.1, so upgrading the whole package is likewise a no-go. So after looking at several forum, github, and reddit pages for research, my questions are: 1. when will RSS (and REX) be ready for 1.8.x play? 

2. would Free Thinker be willing to work on Photon Sailor to allow the warning errors with 1.7.3 to go away? When manually downloaded in local Game Data, I can load aluminum, gold, etc sails, but they will not open in VAB or in flight in 1.7.3, only change size in VAB with Tweakscale.  

Thanks all for your responses! 

13 hours ago, TrajectoryTest said:

1. when will RSS (and REX) be ready for 1.8.x play? 

First of all, Kopernics a dependency of all planet packs (including Real Solar System) must be updated. The latest version of Kopernicus is currently for KSP1.7.3. (Kopernicus is version locked, so it won't work in 1.8.x.) Nobody knows when Kopernicus will be released for 1.8.x. So you have to wait, they're already working on it. As soon as Kopernicus gets its update you should be able to switch to 1.8.x without any problems.

14 hours ago, TrajectoryTest said:

Photon Sailor is compatible with 1.7.0 or 1.8.1, not 1.7.3.

Photon Sailor is compatible with 1.7.3. You can find old/new versions of FT's Photon Sailor here: 

Welcome to the forum @jsanch6609, the answer is in the post above yours: All the planet packs rely on Kopernicus which is being updated at the moment. Please keep in mind that while it is not against the forum guidelines to request an update if it is polite and not repetitive, a great many people rely on Kopernicus for their preferred setup and the devs are usually inundated with these requests. 1.8 changed many underlying aspects of KSP's code so please be patient as the great members who create this free content for us also have the rest of life's responsibilities to deal with as well.

I've got a really annoying effect where the orbit lines of planets and craft show up through planets which makes it really hard to orient yourself in the tracking station. I've ported the game directory to different hardware and it makes no difference.

I downloaded clean versions of 1.6.1 and 1.7.3 and loaded just RSS via CKAN and had exactly the same problem with no other mods installed.

Am I missing some obvious setting ?

29 minutes ago, DC said:

I've got a really annoying effect where the orbit lines of planets and craft show up through planets which makes it really hard to orient yourself in the tracking station. I've ported the game directory to different hardware and it makes no difference.

I downloaded clean versions of 1.6.1 and 1.7.3 and loaded just RSS via CKAN and had exactly the same problem with no other mods installed.

Am I missing some obvious setting ?

This should be only temporary and i sometimes had it in the stock game aswell. It should fade if you zoom out past the moon or even untill you can see another planet if you're looking from the "top" of the solar system . Then when you zoom back in , it should be fine and the orbinal lines should slowly fade

15 minutes ago, John Sheppard said:

This should be only temporary and i sometimes had it in the stock game aswell. It should fade if you zoom out past the moon or even untill you can see another planet if you're looking from the "top" of the solar system . Then when you zoom back in , it should be fine and the orbinal lines should slowly fade

Thanks for your reply but no, that doesn't help. I've tried various zooms in and out, even to the edge of the solar system and back and waiting but nothing changes.

I have a question. I'm trying Realism Overhaul, but I'm really finding it difficult to play with the entire planetary system tilted by 20-something degrees. Is there a version of RSS with un-tilted systems?

Edited by LittleBitMore

4 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

I have a question. I'm trying Realism Overhaul, but I'm really finding it difficult to play with the entire planetary system tilted by 20-something degrees. Is there a version of RSS with un-tilted systems?

There's a bit to unpack here but I would start by saying:  Learn to love the axial tilt!

The real question is, what is the specific problem you are having?  The Earth's axial tilt itself doesn't really affect things much.  All Earth orbits are with respect to Earth itself so its tilt makes no difference at all.   If you are going interplanetary, your orbit makes very, very little difference so again the tilt doesn't matter.

I can only think of two problems and one of them not even related to axial tilt:

The first is geostationary orbits.  The default launch location is the real KSC in Florida at about 28deg north of the equator.  Geostationary launches are more expensive since you need to adjust that 28 degrees.  This just makes it a little more expensive in fuel.  Just remember to adjust your normal/anti-normal as far from Earth as you can as this will make it cheaper.  You can also use a mod to add more space centers and pick one closer to the equator.

The second is lunar missions have a narrow launch window caused by both the axial tilt and launch location.  There is an easy trick here though.  Put your craft on the launch pad, target the Moon, and wait for the Target or Anti-Target markers to be on top of the position (level) marker.  Once it's very close launch due west.  This will put your craft on the same plane as the lunar orbit.  From there you just pick the right time to burn prograde.  You will get a launch window once every 2 weeks or so.  There are other ways to get there, but this is the easiest.

6 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

Once it's very close launch due west.

No, always launch east unless you're going for a sun-sync or polar orbit. Otherwise you would end up having to cancel out multiple hundred m/s of Earth's rotational velocity.

7 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

You will get a launch window once every 2 weeks or so

Wrong, there's a launch window for launching into the plane of the Moon every day. That is - as long as you're playing with patched conics and haven't installed Principia.

7 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

The real question is, what is the specific problem you are having?

The entire system is rotated twenty-something degrees, and I'm used to launching equatorially. This ends up in just about every orbit I try being twenty-something degrees off of the plane of the Solar System, and even if I get it right, it looks very weird to me in map mode.

It's not a technical problem more than it is a personal technique problem, but I've recently been thinking I'm minorly OCD, and because of that it's bugging me a lot. It's making it hard to get a lunar intercept without a twenty-something degree plane change, which I'm sure the Apollo program didn't have to use.

5 hours ago, LittleBitMore said:

The entire system is rotated twenty-something degrees, and I'm used to launching equatorially. This ends up in just about every orbit I try being twenty-something degrees off of the plane of the Solar System, and even if I get it right, it looks very weird to me in map mode.

It's not a technical problem more than it is a personal technique problem, but I've recently been thinking I'm minorly OCD, and because of that it's bugging me a lot. It's making it hard to get a lunar intercept without a twenty-something degree plane change, which I'm sure the Apollo program didn't have to use.

I've never tried this but if you dig into the /GameData/RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus/Earth/Earth.cfg file there's a line called 'inclination'.  You could try setting it to 0.  I have literally no idea if this will do what you want but hey, it's worth a shot.

just change this:

inclination = 23.44603795469773
to this:

inclination = 0.0 //23.44603795469773

If you've never edited a cfg file there are some quick tutorials on line about modding KSP.  Basically all you need is a text editor.

1 hour ago, LittleBitMore said:

I'll try eventuallyish.

You may want to wait even longer on this.  I was wrong about it :-)

You can adjust things by messing with the inclination settings, but you need to change basically all of the planets to make things work.  My understanding is KSP1 doesn't support axial tilt, so to fake it RSS messes with the axial tilt inclination of every body in the system.  You could just change the Moon's inclination to match the Earth, (i.e. to 23.44603795469773) and I *think* that would work, but that has other undesired affects.

Really though, if you are trying to go to the Moon, it's better to understand how the launch windows work.  It's a bit of a read but this has lots of cool info:  https://history.nasa.gov/afj/launchwindow/lw1.html

Basically you choose the right time and direction and launch straight into that orbit.  So no inclination changes needed.  The easiest way I know is to wait for a launch window that is 90deg (i.e. due east.  I said west earlier but that's just because I'm a dyslexic idiot). To do this you target the Moon and wait for the target or anti-target marker in the nav ball to be right on top of the level maker.  Just launch (...checks hands to make sure) right and you are good to go.

Edited by Pehvbot

9 minutes ago, Ninadragonborn said:

can anyone help me or at least tell me am i right or not 

What comms mods are you using? RemoteTech and RealAntennas are capable of showing ground stations. For stock CommNet, the stations are still there but they aren't visible in the tracking station.

20 hours ago, siimav said:

What comms mods are you using? RemoteTech and RealAntennas are capable of showing ground stations. For stock CommNet, the stations are still there but they aren't visible in the tracking station.

not any mod for commnet i am using the game commnet 

and it seems it works i don't know but i think i have replayed a new game and it seems to be work its wired i don't know its working in previous game it was not working in new game its working and i haven't changed or add or removed a single mod :/ 

I understood (after googling for a long time) that RSS includes configs for RemoteTech to increase the range of the antennas. I however only found "DNS_Ranges.cfg" and it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

Where should I look to find the correct configs?

I am curious if there are any plans to bring terrain scatters (ground scatters) as an option for RSS? I understand that enabling it can cause a massive performance hit, but the visual effects/enhancements are fantastic. I'm not sure what level of work that would require, or if it is possible to easily requisition stock terrain scatters for RSS.