[1.12] Real Solar System

Theysen

So this is one of those mods I've known about for some time and finally wanted to get around to trying it. 

The installation seems like it worked properly, although it gives me a popup about not having textures installed.  They are installed under GameData/RSS-Textures, right where the documentation says they should go, and the textures look like they're present in-game, from what little I've looked at it.  So any idea why the warning for no textures?

But my big problem is a huge drop in FPS when entering any flight scene with physics, to the point of being unplayable.  With the stock planetary system, my FPS was fine.  I tried both the 8192 and 4096 textures, as my machine is fairly beefy.  Both had about the same amount of FPS problem.  Tracking station and map views were lightning fast.

RSS 18.3

KSP 1.11.0 (Linux)

KopernicusBE_1.11.0_Release67

My machine is an i9-9900k, 32G RAM, RTX 2080.  I play the game at 4k res.

Any idea if some kind of setting might be causing this?  Anything I could tweak or change?  What are reasonable graphics settings, if it is actually graphics rather than physics, for the above?  I know CPU can be a bottleneck, too.  If it's the physics, what's different about them in this mod?

Cheers,

-BS

I don't know if RSS+Kopernicus is compatible with 1.11, but it works 99.9% with :

- KSP 1.10 (win64) + Expansions + RSS v18.1.3 + Module Manager 4.1.4 + KopernicusBE 1.10-63 + KSCSwitcher 1.8.0.0 + RSSDateTimeFormatter 1.6.1.0 + RSSTextures 4k v18.3 + RealismOverhaul v12.8.1 suite + ...

My computer is I5 6600 + 16Go + GTX1060 + SSD and the game can run 2-3 hours without lag. (as long as i don't mess with Principia suborbital for ex)

Maybe the first game start was a little messy but it worked in the end after a few retry.

Edited by xebx

8 hours ago, barfing_skull said:

So this is one of those mods I've known about for some time and finally wanted to get around to trying it. 

The installation seems like it worked properly, although it gives me a popup about not having textures installed.  They are installed under GameData/RSS-Textures, right where the documentation says they should go, and the textures look like they're present in-game, from what little I've looked at it.  So any idea why the warning for no textures?

But my big problem is a huge drop in FPS when entering any flight scene with physics, to the point of being unplayable.  With the stock planetary system, my FPS was fine.  I tried both the 8192 and 4096 textures, as my machine is fairly beefy.  Both had about the same amount of FPS problem.  Tracking station and map views were lightning fast.

RSS 18.3

KSP 1.11.0 (Linux)

KopernicusBE_1.11.0_Release67

My machine is an i9-9900k, 32G RAM, RTX 2080.  I play the game at 4k res.

Any idea if some kind of setting might be causing this?  Anything I could tweak or change?  What are reasonable graphics settings, if it is actually graphics rather than physics, for the above?  I know CPU can be a bottleneck, too.  If it's the physics, what's different about them in this mod?

Cheers,

-BS

I'm able to run a reasonable RSS game in 1.11 on a 2015 Macbook Pro so your rig should be able to handle this just fine.   

I'm not an RSS or Kopernicus dev but my first step would be to start with a clean install and reinstall  ModuleManager, Kopernicus, RealSolarSystem, and RSS-Config only.  Make sure they are all in the root GameData folder.  

If this causes the same problem the next step would be to look through the KSP.log yourself to see if there's an obvious error message.  After that try posting the KSP.log here.

Yeah, from a few posts above it was noted that it should work with 1.11.  I'm not seeing any actual problems other than the huge FPS drop.

I actually added RSS to an existing installation with other mods already in place.  Again, no problems with that other than the expected odd placement and disappearance of vessels when their planetary bodies are moved or no longer exist.  I think a lander I had on Mun ended up on Titan, presumably because the configs just renamed it.  Perhaps I should start with a fresh install and add mods from there.  I don't care about my savegame much, but I do want to copy over some of my craft.

The 8192 textures look fantastic.  4096 are good, but it's a huge improvement to 8k.

Mostly I'm wondering what kind of graphics settings seem to work for people.  Again, one other thing I could try is run the game at HD res, but I have a good video card and a 4k monitor for a reason...but there are at least a couple things here I can work on.

Well, starting from scratch, adding RSS, then my other mods, seems to have solved the immediate problem and it works well with fast FPS and looks fantastic.  Although I'm still getting the popup about no RSS textures installed, even though they are.

I'd love to have clouds and the like, but from reading back, the only thing I see is RSSVE as an add-on to EVE, and that no longer works from what I read?  Are there any other visual enhancements for clouds or the like that work with the current RSS?  I have scatterer and EVE there, but I think they'd need configs for RSS.

Cheers,

-BS

On 1/28/2021 at 4:55 AM, barfing_skull said:

Well, starting from scratch, adding RSS, then my other mods, seems to have solved the immediate problem and it works well with fast FPS and looks fantastic.  Although I'm still getting the popup about no RSS textures installed, even though they are.

I'd love to have clouds and the like, but from reading back, the only thing I see is RSSVE as an add-on to EVE, and that no longer works from what I read?  Are there any other visual enhancements for clouds or the like that work with the current RSS?  I have scatterer and EVE there, but I think they'd need configs for RSS.

Cheers,

-BS

There is a way to get scatterer working on RSS.

Firstly, go into the scatterer planet folder and notice that there is a folder for each stock celestial. Inside are three files with the .half extension together with a config. Some celestials such as Kerbin have separate folders for atmo and ocean. Take note of the file and folder structure.

Download RSSVE, extract it, dig inside and you will find the same .half files and configs for the RSS celestials but arranged differently. Move them into the scatterer folder and put them into the same structure as the stock celestials. Using a text editor, open every config file and update every file path inside to the correct one. You can delete the stock celestials folders afterwards.

Finally, replace any other applicable file (I believe there are a few) with the versions from RSSVE

Start KSP and you are good to go. Check all the celestials to make sure they work. It will be fairly obvious if you made a mistake somewhere.

I would send a link with the above all done, but unfortunately I am away from my desktop now. 

Other visual enhancement mods working are PlanetShine, custom skybox with TextureReplacer, and RealPlume, which makes engines look beautiful.

Hope this helps.

Edited by VincentThacker

• 2 weeks later...

Big thanks to the RSSRO Devs.

It was running on my previous comp (i5-6600+16Go) correctly, and now even better on the new one (i7-10700+16Go).

This is really amazing, it almost turn KSP into a realistic simulator, since 3 months i've spent some time testing real or prototype rockets and trying to find major inaccuracies, but didn't find anything big.

Note : KSP 1.10 is 99.9% ok

I confirm that, my RSS works fine* on KSP v1.11.1, Windows 10, with Kopernicus from this thread and all RSS downloads from this [1.7.3] thread. I believe Kopernicus is stable enough on 1.11.1 as of now.

*Some old issues persist--I remember experiencing those problemss even back in 1.8.1. 

yf2gl4.png

Edited by AllenLi

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm interested in making planets recently and I 've made a star which works fine in stock game.

But it can't be loaded when I use RSS. The cfg file looks like this...

@Kopernicus:AFTER[RealSolarSystem]
{
    Body
    {
        name = Wolf359
		cacheFile = ExtendedMilkyWay/Cache/Wolf359/Wolf359.bin
		Debug
		{
			exportMesh = True 
			update = False
		}

Is there anyting wrong  with the first line?

It is Ok, i've fixed it:)

Edited by Kepler452b
already fixed

On 3/17/2021 at 7:06 PM, ValCab33 said:

Hello, is there a way to add a launch site location in KSCSwitcher?

Yes.

Edit the LaunchSites.cfg within the RealSolarSystem folder. The syntax is pretty straightforward.

Hi guys, I'm new to this mod, and maybe I'm drowning in a glass of water: I found, as intended, everything extremely realistic, with the exception of several atmospheric pressures. For example, both Mars and Venus have 0.06667 atm, which is very different from the actual real value of 0.0060 atm for Mars. It is intended? Should I change the pressureCurve inside Mars.cfg to customize it? 

Thanks a lot for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

Re launch sites:  here are the details for Alcantara (closest launch site to the equator)

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[RealSolarSystem]:FINAL
{
    @Body[Kerbin]
    {

@SpaceCenter
        {
            //PQSCity
            @latitude = -2.37305555555555
            @longitude = -44.396388888888886
            @lodvisibleRangeMult = 6
            @repositionRadiusOffset = 53
            @reorientFinalAngle = -9.4

// MapDecal
            @decalLatitude = -2.37305555555555
            @decalLongitude = -44.396388888888886
            @heightMapDeformity = 80
            @absoluteOffset = 0
            @absolute = true
            @radius = 10000

@groundColor = 0.18, 0.12, 0.082, 0.15
            @groundTexture = SSRSS/terrain/Grass3_00
        }
    }
}

On 7/9/2018 at 12:18 AM, SkyKaptn said:

I am having a strange thing going on with the ship's orbit lines. When I zoom out from the map the orbit line suddenly shows behind the planet. It does not get occluded anymore at a certain zoom rate. Also, if I focus on the planet itself the orbit line always shows behind the planet, no matter what zoom rate.
All mods and dependencies are 1.3.1 (it also happens on a "vanilla" RSS)

wMNgFXS.jpg

d6CDWWv.jpg

On 7/9/2018 at 12:18 AM, SkyKaptn said:

I am having a strange thing going on with the ship's orbit lines. When I zoom out from the map the orbit line suddenly shows behind the planet. It does not get occluded anymore at a certain zoom rate. Also, if I focus on the planet itself the orbit line always shows behind the planet, no matter what zoom rate.
All mods and dependencies are 1.3.1 (it also happens on a "vanilla" RSS)

wMNgFXS.jpg

d6CDWWv.jpg

Hi,

After two days of research trying to remove this effect, I finally found it!

And in addition it was right in front of our noses!

Just add this parameter in the Kopernicus configuration file (RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg):

force3DOrbits = True

Et voilà !!!

Everything is back to normal, it even removes the problem of lines that constantly appear and disappear.

• 2 weeks later...

@Clementio Thanks, that parameter does indeed fix the issue of orbit lines renedering through the planet. Additionally it will also prevent the orbit lines from flickering when zoomed out to outer planet levels. Only problem is that Kopernicus has extreme logspam in all scenes other than flight.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.Force3DRendering () (at <46b400b9691c436399920b755d4bea53>:0)
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.LateUpdate () (at <46b400b9691c436399920b755d4bea53>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

@R-T-B any idea what might be going on there?

I am having a problem when I use HyperEdit with RSS, the Lander function is not working. The problem seemed to be caused by how RSS tweak the home body, and the HyperEdit team does not have a working solution.

Can anyone else confirm this issue and/or know a way to fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, siimav said:

Thanks, that parameter does indeed fix the issue of orbit lines renedering through the planet. Additionally it will also prevent the orbit lines from flickering when zoomed out to outer planet levels. Only problem is that Kopernicus has extreme logspam in all scenes other than flight.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.Force3DRendering () (at <46b400b9691c436399920b755d4bea53>:0)
	Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.RuntimeUtility.LateUpdate () (at <46b400b9691c436399920b755d4bea53>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

any idea what might be going on there?

Not RTB, but I'm guessing https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/blob/755ab1e3a5cf73e44e033be12906693f9564ceaa/src/Kopernicus/RuntimeUtility/RuntimeUtility.cs#L569-L578 is missing a check that MapView.fetch is not null (see ex. https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/blob/755ab1e3a5cf73e44e033be12906693f9564ceaa/src/Kopernicus/RuntimeUtility/RuntimeUtility.cs#L499).